collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: May 18 1980  (Read 10142 times)

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: May 18 1980
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 12:02:09 PM »
I heard that the shockwave knocked that person backwards.

Loup - great photos!  My sister was at Wazu when the eruption happened and she has similar stories about the ash and masks.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 12:09:45 PM »
One of my favorite photos taken on Mt. Adams. I think it was a NatGeo photo?

I had never seen that photo.  Thanks.
:yeah: Can you imagine being that climber!!!  Priceless and terrorizing at the same moment. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »

Loup - great photos!  My sister was at Wazu when the eruption happened and she has similar stories about the ash and masks.

I was at WSU over 20 years later.  I had a job roofing. and all the old shake roofs still had a ton of ash in them when we tore them off.  Surprised me quite a bit the first few times I saw it.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »

I was at WSU over 20 years later.  I had a job roofing. and all the old shake roofs still had a ton of ash in them when we tore them off.  Surprised me quite a bit the first few times I saw it.
Young buck!  :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »

Young buck!  :chuckle:

Millenials... :DOH:

Offline WyatBaker

• Pilgrim
    • Hunting Illustrated
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 10:02:26 PM »
why the pictures are red colored?
Hunting Illustrated provide the most in-depth reviews and guides on binoculars, blinds, gloves, boots, and so much more. Visit here: https://www.huntingillustrated.com/

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 12:48:00 AM »
The red tint on old photos is called color cast. It's got something to do with fading over time and the red color lasting longer I think. Boneaddict would most likely know the answer.

Offline Yakirack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 08:19:57 AM »

I reroofed a shake roof last summer and tons of ash was in there still. Had been installed in the late 70's.
My grandpa was the manager of the Yakima City Street Dept. at the time. Hired my dad/uncles and a bunch of guys to sweep/haul truckloads of ash, and spray water tanker trucks all over Yakima. Lot's of overtime for those guys.  Many city mangers called him for various natural disaster tips/help and ideas in the years following. They named a city building after him when he passed away.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 12:59:51 PM »
why the pictures are red colored?

Printing is essentially done with three colors cyano, yellow and magenta.  Cyano breaks down the fastest.  Stuff in the atmosphere, heat, acid are all things that help break it down.   Magenta breaks down the slowest, basically because one of the processes to preserve the color, they were treated with formaldahyde . That happened to preserve magenta, but not the others.   Certain papers used during the 70s and 80s were also very prone to breaking down faster. 

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2023, 06:51:35 PM »
43 years yesterday, the morning the cats freaked out. We could see it from out mailbox.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Online Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »
Wow, how time flies…

Offline passman65

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 07:21:10 PM »
May 18th 1980 I was a young buck of 22.  Myself, my brother and a small group of friends had taken our motorcycles up to mineral lake to camp and party on the 17th. Morning of the 18th we woke to a beautiful sunny day, I remember I had to pee and walked off the logging road we were camped on/beside into the woods to do my business when it started to hail, I walked back down to the road to see everyone staring up at the sky cupping their hands and catching pumice stone. I looked to the sky and saw a pitch-black cloud rolling over with red lightning shooting out of it. State patrol and local sheriff came and kicked us all out and closed down the roads, was a beotch riding a bike through all the ash. The next weekend was even worse since we decided to go to ocean shores and the winds changed, blew all the ash to the ocean and with the rain there was inches of mud on the roads. Stuck in a hotel in Aberdeen for three days till it cleared up. Good fun great memories.

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 08:27:23 PM »
We were supposed to be at the Weyerhaeuser owned Toutle River campground that weekend. In fact, we used to fish summer run steelhead on the Toutle every year. My mom says that she tried for two or three days to get reservations and couldn't. If we had gone my Dad and I would have been in one of the many box canyons off the 9000 line. Most likely would be buried under 100's of feet of ash and mud. I have a scrap book somewhere with permits that were handed out to motorists warning of the danger of the mountain erupting. There was also a hold harmless agreement that you had to sign to get past the road blocks. A few pics of the mountain from the hills by the logging camp. Mind you I was 12 at the time, but what a thing to live through. And yes I still have a jar of ash.

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2023, 06:31:30 AM »

We were on our little sailboat in the Tacoma narrows near Fox Island? wife glanced to the South and said a bad word or two which is rare for her! There was a nasty looking rapidly growing yellow / brown cloud that could only be the volcano… I cranked up the outboard and ee hightailed it back to Gig Harbor - full throttle at maybe 6 miles an hour took forever. When ee got back to our house in GIg Harbor a light dusting was falling. Somewhere we have pics of the cloud but it probably has the red tint too.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2023, 07:13:11 AM »
Great stories and photos. I was still in Pennsylvania, but remember my brother who was out here talking about it on the phone. He heard to "boom". The ash must have just been horrible to deal with.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]