collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Turkey multi state adventure report  (Read 3347 times)

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
Spring Turkey multi state adventure report
« on: May 18, 2021, 08:50:19 AM »
Well, i thought i would wait until i was done for the season to post a report of my 3 state swing for turkeys. So here goes -

Started in California 10 hour road trip down, the season was earlier there so it prevented any impacts to the seasons here in WA. Traveled into northern cali and had a 4 day long weekend. Never been to area, did some research, harvests, water, remote ect.. Found a great location at my first stop and stayed there thru the weekend. Limits there are three toms/one per day (rios). First day was short with the travel. Lots of walking was the order of the day with limited replies after 9am. Results were 3 toms in 3 days. Found they liked my wingbone call and would cluck if i were in bubble to hear them, yes toms.

Next trip was to Eastern WA, Never seemed to be an issue there but the toms were not talking much and made it difficult. another 3 day long weekend adventure. Picked up 2 toms with hard work. My 80year old dad almost got one as well. Again, we don't hunt farm land, private or flat land birds, were up in the hills. Getting him on birds with limited mobility is difficult and with tight lipped birds was too difficult.

Third adventure was to Western WA, just a weekend with day and morning to find one.. picked up the second morning my final WA tom for spring.

Last week was my 3rd state Idaho, had a 4 day long weekend 7 hour road trip. Put myself on state land. Came as close to getting bit by a rattle snake as possible (i was shaking). Snake gaiter's are now officially on my buy list! If you don't have, i would most strongly recommend a set.. 6 miles in, hills, no place to have to walk out snake bit!!!  For this run, i shifted to a 20 ga from my old 12ga. built it just for shagging mountains and i am sold! Another 3 day run with possible last morning push if needed. Took 2 nice toms over weekend and didn't need the Monday am hail mary! One bird i worked half a day, following him around as he gave position away with infrequent gobbles. i would say 3-4 miles and 2 mountains invested in my time to get him turned on and motivated, never done this before but it worked following like an interested hen.

Overall, my first year of traveling to totally new areas in other states was a total success! All public lands, all mountains no farm fields or roadside hunts, 3 states with 3 state limits was quite unexpected but the goal achieved! My research will bring Oregon into my spring run next year (i think). Hope i can stumble onto birds in OR as well as i did this year in CA and ID!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Spring Turkey multi state adventure report
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the stories! Nice work :tup:

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
Wow, you are a turkey nut!! Loved following your adventures this spring. Can't wait to hear about them next year! Congrats on an excellent season.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 04:27:59 PM »
Congrats,  that would be fun!

Offline DIron

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 06:37:01 PM »

Overall, my first year of traveling to totally new areas in other states was a total success! All public lands, all mountains no farm fields or roadside hunts, 3 states with 3 state limits was quite unexpected but the goal achieved! My research will bring Oregon into my spring run next year (i think). Hope i can stumble onto birds in OR as well as i did this year in CA and ID!
Very cool. Thanks for sharing, it is motivating me to try to make a multi State swing for Turkeys myself.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 03:39:02 PM »
Very impressive, congratulations all the way!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 03:29:45 PM »
my old thread from last spring season, for those who followed last spring, i intend to add Oregon to WA, ID and CA spring season. I have down sized to a Franchi infinity 20 GA as well. Good luck everyone and from past experience, purchase and prepare now,  ammo/ gear  before the last minute shoppers empty shelves!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 05:12:07 PM »
 :tup: looks like fun. looking forward to this years post.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 06:29:16 PM »
What a great atdventure. 

I look forward to this year's.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »
Nicely done. Any snake pics?🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 05:55:41 AM »
my old thread from last spring season, for those who followed last spring, i intend to add Oregon to WA, ID and CA spring season. I have down sized to a Franchi infinity 20 GA as well. Good luck everyone and from past experience, purchase and prepare now,  ammo/ gear  before the last minute shoppers empty shelves!

I have downsized to a 20ga myself, and I'm trying a Jeb's Choke .555 constriction. I haven't even patterned it yet.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 09:24:15 AM »
@birddogdad:
"Snake gaiter's are now officially on my buy list! If you don't have, i would most strongly recommend a set.. 6 miles in, hills, no place to have to walk out snake bit!!! "

Did you get the Snake Gaiter's?

Thanks for Inspiration ... picked up Snake Gaiter's & Chaps after reading your story last year
and having been in a few "sketchy" rattler areas ...

Interesting Amazon Reviews/Testimony of people who purchased and used Snake Gaiter's receiving rattler strikes in the field ... even with Gaiter's on ... still "Unnerving". 

"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
@birddogdad:
"Snake gaiter's are now officially on my buy list! If you don't have, i would most strongly recommend a set.. 6 miles in, hills, no place to have to walk out snake bit!!! "

Thanks for Inspiration ... picked up Snake Gaiter's & Chaps after reading your story last year
and having been in a few "sketchy" rattler areas ...

Interesting Amazon Reviews/Testimony of people who purchased and used Snake Gaiter's receiving rattler strikes in the field ... even with Gaiter's on ... still "Unnerving".

yea my wife purchased next day after i showed her the above clips when i got back.. have not used to date but packed in my turkey gear for spring for sure..
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 10:16:41 AM »

yea my wife purchased next day after i showed her the above clips when i got back.. have not used to date but packed in my turkey gear for spring for sure..

:tup:
 Upgraded the Snake Bite Kit too!
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal