collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boat Tops  (Read 2272 times)

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
Boat Tops
« on: May 20, 2021, 12:22:02 PM »
So... I've got a new Tracker V17 with a walk-through front windshield (Hold off on the Tracker bashing, that's a totally separate issue...)

My question is: Is there a canvas top out there that attaches to the front windshield and extends back over the front two seats, just like any jet sled type boat over 18 feet would come with? All I can find are Bimini style tops that stand alone, or some ridiculous looking clear plastic pieces that extend off the windshield and attach to a Bimini but that stick nearly straight up in the air and look well, ridiculous in my opinion.

Again, any sled on the market, be it North River, Alumaweld, Thunderjet, etc. will have a canvas top that comes off the windshield at a mild angle and covers the seats without sticking straight up like a sail. Is there such a beast for smaller Tracker boats, or is there any company in the Snohomish County area who could sew one up at a reasonable price?

Any info is appreciated...

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Boat Tops
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Two of my family members had boat tops made at Longview Tops in Longview. Both had semi custom work. Each time they dropped the boats off and picked them up the next week. I don't recall how much $ but it wasn't outrageous. I am not familiar with any top builders in the N end though.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 03:04:53 PM »
Leta's Top Shop in Arlington will build a top for your boat, and she is known for doing a good job. I am not sure that you can get one custom for your boat off of the shelf, but I doubt it. You should contact Tracker for that.

I custom built my own top for around $200-$300 and I will tell you that it is very labor intensive for a first-timer, so whatever custom top makers are asking, they are not ripping you off :tup:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 05:28:45 PM »
I picked up a used two piece top and frame from another boat that needs the mounts and bottom swivel plastic pieces replaced (Amazon). Probably the right width (86”?) for your Tracker. If you want to play with them you can have them. I was going to put it on mine but probably will not.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 08:48:32 PM »
I'm out of town right now, but let me measure when I get back - that sounds a little wide, but maybe it'll work....?

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
Leta's Top Shop in Arlington will build a top for your boat, and she is known for doing a good job. I am not sure that you can get one custom for your boat off of the shelf, but I doubt it. You should contact Tracker for that.

I custom built my own top for around $200-$300 and I will tell you that it is very labor intensive for a first-timer, so whatever custom top makers are asking, they are not ripping you off :tup:

$$$$$$ She wanted $1000.00 to do my top, 17' Mirage. Top maybe 6'x4' I just went and bought an Bimini top $125
Gen:27:3

Offline Sscleo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »
Canvas tops are pretty pricey right now. People are spending your free money from the government. That is what four canvas shops told me. They are having their busiest year ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »
They are all literally custom made for each boat unless you get a generic Bimini from Cabelas which it just a top with no sides or back or connection to the windshield. 

If you look closely they are all a bit different even with the same model of boat depending on who made it. 

I know my boat left the factory without one and the dealer had it made.

Pricey for sure but nice to be dry for years.

Leta does good work but yeah, it will be sticker shock if you haven’t priced them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Barbarossa13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 06:53:00 AM »
I had Leta’s do a travel cover for my 18’ Hewes.  Been very happy with it, nice keeping everything clean and dry going over the pass in winter.  Would highly recommend, buy once cry once  :tup:

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 01:07:47 PM »
quality custom work costs money.
I don't think you'll find a generic off the shelf top that you will be happy with.
1K for a custom boat top doesnt sound bad to me....sounds like some people here are new to what owning a boat means  :chuckle:
i paid 800 for a custom mooring/storage/travel cover for my boat and don't regret it one bit.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 05:23:02 PM »
quality custom work costs money.
I don't think you'll find a generic off the shelf top that you will be happy with.
1K for a custom boat top doesnt sound bad to me....sounds like some people here are new to what owning a boat means  :chuckle:
i paid 800 for a custom mooring/storage/travel cover for my boat and don't regret it one bit.

Fully agree  with this statement custom work with good materials costs .you will get what you pay for that cheap Bimini top will fall apart quick I’m guessing

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 07:22:00 PM »
Same with boat covers. Cheap ones don’t seem to last, and don’t fit as well.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan