collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bear hunting so far Tucannon  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Threewolves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
bear hunting so far Tucannon
« on: May 23, 2021, 12:01:52 PM »
1st hunt I know it was early but I was down in the valley from the 14 of Apr for 10 days, I can do this because I am retired. The vegetation hadn't leafed out vis was great, also turkey season was going on and cougar was still on. I really didn't pay much attention to the turkeys although I did through out a few calls. I guess you could say I was trying to keep my eye on the prize. I did talk to one turkey hunter who said he saw tracks in the snow.

Oh, I have been in this area before and I have seen bears, think: the blind squirrel thing. I could not get in up high because of the snow.

So, I went back up on the 13th of May for 10 days (remember retired!) Stayed up high could get around really good. On Sat I ran across a WSU Grad student and mentioned I was looking for a bear. This was 7 miles from my camp. The next day, 4 miles from my camp I run across this guy again and he says I think I found you a bear, and shows me a picture of a track with his hand next to it, looked like a good bear. So, the next AM I an easing in with my rifle about 150yds from the truck and Tom starts rocking an unsolicited gobble and keeps keeps it up. I wanted to run back and get my shotgun, but eye on the prize. And no bear.

On Wed AM I am glassing (remember blind squirrel)  spot a lanky yellow bear about a mile away. Could not get to it in the AM because it was snowing. Around 1515 it clears up, I get around to the other side and see the bear at 400yds, still looks small. The next day in the PM is see the bear on my side about 800 out and I think I can get right up on it. Anyway, I make my move and get 13yds from the bear. I said your the littlest bear I have ever seen and it took off. I know I talk a lot of crap and say I will shoot the first bear I see and save the 2nd tag for a big bear, but it was just too small, I could not do it. I have only killed three bears two with a rifle and my last with a bow at 22yds.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 07:10:08 PM by Threewolves »
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: bear hunting so far Tucannon
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 03:33:14 PM »
Sounds like you are having a great time which is the most important part of the hunt!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
With a bow from 22 yards, that sounds pretty good.

Good times

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 07:00:39 AM »
Looks like you're seeing alot more bears than me
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 07:32:19 AM »
Following hope you get back out there soon

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:55:03 AM »
It sounds like you are having a blast!  Keep hunting.  Even if you don't fill your tag this spring, no problem.  What a great hunt so far.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »
Sounds like a great time so far.  Looking forward to hearing how it all turns out.  When is the next trip?
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
Lots of great bears in that unit. Good luck!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »
Sounds like a great time so far.  Looking forward to hearing how it all turns out.  When is the next trip?

I was thinking maybe after 4 June, also I wanted to avoid the Manorial weekend. But now I am thinking that may be it, my son had open heart surgery today, and I am pretty sure he is going to need my help, family first. Three days in the ICU and plus 5 to 7 days (Total) in the hospital. 6 weeks before he can go back to work. My 13yr old grandson, and his 80lb beast of a dog will probably need my attention. Thanks for reading guys. Paul
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 09:36:33 PM »

I was thinking maybe after 4 June, also I wanted to avoid the Manorial weekend. But now I am thinking that may be it, my son had open heart surgery today, and I am pretty sure he is going to need my help, family first. Three days in the ICU and plus 5 to 7 days (Total) in the hospital. 6 weeks before he can go back to work. My 13yr old grandson, and his 80lb beast of a dog will probably need my attention. Thanks for reading guys. Paul

I hope your son heals up quickly ,thanks for the story and prayers are with your family

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal