collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 243 grouping questions  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Lokaybinnity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
243 grouping questions
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:18:06 AM »
So i have a winchester model 70 ranger youth model 243. i want to give it to my 12 year old to start hunting with it. i got it when i was 15 im now 39, so its its got some years under its belt. i wouldnt think the round count thru it is to many to burn out the barrell and i was under the impression that they are not known for being a barrell burner. it was shot for mostly sighting it in and hunting when needed. the problem im having is the 3 shot grouping im getting with it is about 3 to 3.5 inches if not more. it used to be a tack driver sub 1 inch groups. i do use factory ammo. i noticed it couple years ago when i would bring it out just to see if it is on paper still. i checked scope and rings both leupold. and its always cleaned after being shot or before if its been in the safe for awhile. ive  just about used every ammo thru it to see if it was ammo related and nothing cant get it tighter than 3 inches.  What do you guys think the problem is, or what can i do to get it back to being a tack driver like it used to be. thanks for your help.

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: 243 grouping questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
Have you ever done a thorough copper fouling removal? I have a 7 mag that is similar age and was always a fantastic shooter. Last year it went in the toilet for no apparent reason. I had never done a copper fouling removal. I did a very thorough scrub and it brought the accuracy right back.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
By "checked the scope and rings", I assume just checked to see if tight? If you have a spare scope around, you could throw it on and quickly eliminate that as a problem if a good cleaning doesn't solve it.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:42:37 AM »
Also are you using the same factory ammo?  Try some others.   I've noticed variances.  Like others said,  also pull the scope and try another,  making sure to re tighten base and rings and using blue lock tite.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Have you ever done a thorough copper fouling removal? I have a 7 mag that is similar age and was always a fantastic shooter. Last year it went in the toilet for no apparent reason. I had never done a copper fouling removal. I did a very thorough scrub and it brought the accuracy right back.

Had the same issue with my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight......the groups just gradually got bigger over the years with the same ammo.  Cleaned it every year, which did nothing to remove the copper fouling.  Once I removed the copper fouling the groups tightened right back up.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »
24yo? Wood stock? Check the barrel contact with the stock. Wood moves over the years. May need to float it.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »
By "checked the scope and rings", I assume just checked to see if tight? If you have a spare scope around, you could throw it on and quickly eliminate that as a problem if a good cleaning doesn't solve it.
As soon as I read the thread, I was guessing Leupold.
The scope would be my first thought for groups growing but copper fouling or a ding in the crown would be my second.
Start with cleaning the bore.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
As soon as I read the thread, I was guessing Leupold.
The scope would be my first thought for groups growing but copper fouling or a ding in the crown would be my second.
Start with cleaning the bore.

Let me guess. Leupolds are junk?
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
failure rate of Leupold scopes is extremely low.  I'd say look elsewheres on the gun for issues.  Mounts, bedding, fouling, etc.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
As others have said, clean it for copper and then proceed from there. Very good odds that is your culprit.  Id be very surprised if it was a scope issue. Newer Leupold with tactical or cds turrets are well known for having tracking issues but holding a zero, especially on older leupold models is definitely not the norm.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Lokaybinnity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
thanks for the answers i think im going to start with the copper fouling. how do i go about doing that. do i just scrub the crap out of it with a brush or is there a cleaner other than hoppes, or is hoppes what i use, and just let is set longer in the barrell before the dry patch.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 06:46:37 AM »
Get yourself some copper remover.  Something like "wipe out", or "sweets  copper remover".  There are quite a few different brands that will do the same work.   Be aware that some of the removers will cause corrosion of your barrel if left in there for too long.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 07:10:01 AM »
Sweets is what I used to use.  One tip I'd pass on if you use this swab the bore dry after using this. Don't leave it wet with Sweets in it.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
I use wipe out products. Patches normally do it but a plastic brush can work well also.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
thanks for the answers i think im going to start with the copper fouling. how do i go about doing that. do i just scrub the crap out of it with a brush or is there a cleaner other than hoppes, or is hoppes what i use, and just let is set longer in the barrell before the dry patch.

I use Barnes CR-10.  It is amazing how well it works at removing copper-fouling, but you need to be very religious about following the instructions regarding its use.  I also clean the bore with Hoppes #9 afterwards to make sure none of the Barnes remains.  The Barnes contains ammonia which should be removed completely.  The final step should be running a patch through the bore and applying a light coating of a good gun oil.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
There are numerous copper removal products out there. The one consistent feature of all of them, especially if you've never done it, is that it will take time, and multiple treatments probably. I did 3 full copper removal treatments on my 7 mag before my patches came out clean. That's what 20 years of shooting will accumulate in there.

I use the Boretech stuff. They're instructions are easy to follow, and it worked well. Have lots of patches on hand, and a vinyl bore brush. A gun vice or some way to secure your rifle so you can just run patches through without handling the rifle is highly suggested.

https://www.boretech.com/categories/gun-cleaners/bore-cleaners
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Lokaybinnity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
thanks for the help guys. appreciate it.  :tup:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 09:20:01 AM »
Another vote for wipe out here
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
Also maybe consider purchasing a Teslong borescope.  They're certainly not required and for some the first few times you use one can cause panic attacks because they show how bad most factory barrels look, doesn't mean they still can't shoot well though, but are relatively inexpensive, about $50 and easily hookup to any laptop.  They make one that works with an Iphone/Ipad too.

They'll give you a good view of how it looks on the inside and how clean you're actually getting things.  Often we think these things are perfectly clean and down to bare metal but you run a borescope in there to find out ohhh not so much.  A borescope can help identify other issues like throat erosion, carbon rings, and tooling marks.

Maybe not something most people will use all that much but with the Teslong borescope not only being as affordable as they are but also producing a very good image quality they're a useful tool to have and can help take the guess work out of things but like I said don't be surprised if the first time you use one your reaction is  :yike: when looking at factory barrels for the first time that's a pretty standard response.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
There are numerous copper removal products out there. The one consistent feature of all of them, especially if you've never done it, is that it will take time, and multiple treatments probably. I did 3 full copper removal treatments on my 7 mag before my patches came out clean. That's what 20 years of shooting will accumulate in there.

I use the Boretech stuff. They're instructions are easy to follow, and it worked well. Have lots of patches on hand, and a vinyl bore brush. A gun vice or some way to secure your rifle so you can just run patches through without handling the rifle is highly suggested.

https://www.boretech.com/categories/gun-cleaners/bore-cleaners

Ventilation and nitrile gloves too, copper remover is some pretty nasty smelling stuff.  I've used several different kinds and they all seem to work about the same.  Apply, sit, scrub, apply, sit, scrub just like 7mm said.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 01:02:49 PM »
don't be surprised if the first time you use one your reaction is  :yike: when looking at factory barrels for the first time that's a pretty standard response.

I have a 40 year old vanguard 300 win mag that the inside of the barrel looks like the inside of an old sewer pipe thru the teslong but it will shoot 3" groups at 500 yards with factory 215 bergers.  go figure ?

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 03:12:23 PM »
don't be surprised if the first time you use one your reaction is  :yike: when looking at factory barrels for the first time that's a pretty standard response.

I have a 40 year old vanguard 300 win mag that the inside of the barrel looks like the inside of an old sewer pipe thru the teslong but it will shoot 3" groups at 500 yards with factory 215 bergers.  go figure ?
Oh I know what you mean.  I kept the barrel off of my Rem 700 VSSF 223 it looks beyond terrible and is laughable it's so bad but that thing would sit and stack up 40gr Nosler BT pushed by Benchmark until you were bored pulling the trigger when I pulled the barrel and turned it into to something else.  It was still shooting so well I figured I could get a few bucks for the barrel but once I borescoped it and saw how bad it was that was the end of that idea.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 09:02:25 PM »
Plus one on the teslong and yes it’s normal to see tons of cracks and the bore looking like charcoal.  Let the accuracy tell you when your barrel is toast
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline 2labs

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 04:55:54 PM »
24yo? Wood stock? Check the barrel contact with the stock. Wood moves over the years. May need to float it.

This,, one of my favorite rifles model 70 carbine..243. Wood stock. Wouldn't group.
Dollar bill test and then a deep socket wrapped in sand paper fixed it! Remember to refinish/ seal any raw wood.
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]