collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 Ford Lightning Discussion  (Read 41906 times)

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
2022 Ford Lightning Discussion
« on: May 27, 2021, 08:37:38 AM »
Saw a suggestion to discuss this truck on another post, so here it is...

I think we can all agree on what this truck will not be good for...
Long Distance/Heavy load towing (Its a half ton, nobody wants to use a half ton to tow 10k lbs regardless)
Current 3/4 ton and 1 ton drivers
Rural and remote living situations with hard winters (Canada, Alaska, Dakotas, Montana, etc)  They are not targeting this market.
Trips into remote areas (more than 150 miles from town)

There might be a few more I cant think of right now, but lets not beat the above mentioned to death.

Based on the information available, I can think of one or two trips I typically take a year with my current truck, that this vehicle would not be suited for (over 150 miles 1 way into very remote/rugged country) 

I can do everything else with it I currently do, so maybe it would be a good option once more information and real world tests have been conducted.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: 2022 Ford Lightning Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
This truck is for the suburbanite that wants a truck to go to the nursery with, or get some dirt/mulch/bark/gravel. Maybe they go to Winthrop or Leavenworth camping once or twice a summer and need to haul their camping gear and a kayak or two on top. Really, this truck works for a lot of the population that need a vehicle that can do a little more dirty work than their Prius. The segment of the population that really NEEDS a truck to go off the grid, or haul/tow heavy loads long distances is quite small. Frankly, I'd own one for exactly what I just mentioned, but then I'd have to own two trucks because I do spend a fair amount of time way off the highways, and I do tow quite a lot.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
I'm just curious why KFhunter posted the following regarding the Lightning:

It would be lunacy to buy an electric vehicle now!  The Ford Lighting is going to be a huge flop, outdated before it even hits the floor.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:07:30 AM »
I think I would definitely use this truck in Sitka if I owned a house up here to charge it at.  With only 30-something miles of roads total I have access to and regular fuel prices pushing $3.70/gallon now, it would make sense.  While I'd prefer a long bed, as long as I can fit a pallet of fishing gear or fish boxes in the back it makes sense to me.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:15:28 AM »
If you ask me, this truck will be regionally successful. It's not going to be popular in Montana. It will be popular in lots of western Washington. We've sold every powerboost(hybrid) F150 we've received and we sold them fast. We sell and service tons of hybrids whether they're the traditional hybrids or the plug in hybrids(cars and SUV's and now trucks).  I think it'll be a success in certain areas and a flop in others. It's definitely not for everyone. I can tell you for sure that there are crap tons of people asking about them here.

The diesel F150's were a flop here. Not sure about other areas of the country.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 09:28:50 AM »
If you ask me, this truck will be regionally successful. It's not going to be popular in Montana. It will be popular in lots of western Washington. We've sold every powerboost(hybrid) F150 we've received and we sold them fast. We sell and service tons of hybrids whether they're the traditional hybrids or the plug in hybrids(cars and SUV's and now trucks).  I think it'll be a success in certain areas and a flop in others. It's definitely not for everyone. I can tell you for sure that there are crap tons of people asking about them here.

The diesel F150's were a flop here. Not sure about other areas of the country.

You think its better to wait for them to be on the roads for awhile before getting one?  I reserved one, but my 2012 Ecoboost still didn't have all the kinks worked out yet.   

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 09:41:20 AM »
I know that this thread is about the Ford Lightning, but Ford will have a number of competitors when it comes to electric trucks.  I've been following Lordstown Motors for quite a while, and even bought stock in the company.  They looked very promising, but have had a couple of mis-steps which has put them behind Ford in the race to actually put trucks on the road.  Their dismal failure in the Baja San Felipe 250 race sure didn't help.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
It'll be fun trying to explain to Homeowners that we can't install the new Ford 80 amp charge station they just bought.

With all the new Energy Code requirements, most residential services are already close to capacity.  Adding 80 amps, even de-rated, is going to be an issue.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »
There's a Rivian dealership going in 4 blocks away from us.

https://rivian.com/
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »
It'll be fun trying to explain to Homeowners that we can't install the new Ford 80 amp charge station they just bought.

With all the new Energy Code requirements, most residential services are already close to capacity.  Adding 80 amps, even de-rated, is going to be an issue.

Just more work for you to upgrade their panel.  My house came with 100A service and one of the first things I did was put a new panel in to support the projects.  Houses are basically built to supply the minimum power they need at the time they are built and if you want to add AC, spa or whatever it could be an issue.

That said, there is more room within the 100 or 200 A panel with the energy saving stuff we have today coupled with natural gas.

The charging stations are getting very smart, I expect them to be able to run at whatever capacity is available.  More manufacturers are looking at combining the functionality of EV, PV, battery storage as well as traditional stuff like gas backup generators.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »
There's a Rivian dealership going in 4 blocks away from us.

https://rivian.com/

Yeah, I've been watching that one, too.  Very interesting company, and interesting technology, as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:11:48 AM by Igor »
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
400W solar panels are down to <$300 now.   Charging an EV at home without use of the energy grid is getting more economical every year that technology advances.   A 5kW system is large enough to charge the Lightning based on typical daily usage and sun availability in the PNW, and a 5kW complete solar power kit costs between $5k-$7K now.  Installation will vary based on location, and how much of the install you can do yourself.  But with a 20 year warranty, we're talking $300-$500/yr total ammortized....which is less expensive than my annual gasoline costs.....

There are charging stations all over the place, including rural areas that many people have no clue even exist.  Parking lot of a remote mountain pass.  Tucked into the corner of a Dairy Queen parking lot in a rural eastern town, etc.  And more pop up every month.   So range to the east side rural areas may be farther than some realize.....

The real question will be Ford's strategy on fast charging network.  Tesla spent the time and money to put Supercharger stations everywhere such that you can now drive all over the country with a Model S.   Would have been cool to see Ford license the Tesla charging technology and cut a deal to let a Lightning top up at a Supercharger station.   Otherwise you're stuck with regular Chargepoint chargers and fast DC chargers....which isn't going to cut it for long distance trips as those are multi-hour recharges compared to a 30 minute charge in a Tesla at a SuperCharger station....I haven't looked closely enough at the Lightning to get a good gauge on the charging strategy.  But it'll be awhile before a network of faster charging stations is built out.  I'm friends with the VP of Engineering at Chargepoint, and they're moving quickly to install the next gen fast chargers....but it's going to take time to get them all out.

I leased a Ford Focus electric from 2014 to 2016 as my commuter vehicle.  That was a fun little car, and the lease deals they were running back then made it a no-brainer....I put the miles on the Focus electric instead of my Tundra.   Ford did a really good job with the development on that EV in terms of user interface, etc.   I really liked it.  You learn where all the charging stations are, and eventually get over the range anxiety.   Having a 300 mile range of a Tesla or a Ford Lightning (the upgraded model) is a game changer from the 7 year older technology I was driving.   

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:18:34 AM by kselkhunter »

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
There’s a Tesla charging station in Newhalem on HWY 20.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 10:28:38 AM »

The real question will be Ford's strategy on fast charging network.  Tesla spent the time and money to put Supercharger stations everywhere such that you can now drive all over the country with a Model S.   Would have been cool to see Ford license the Tesla charging technology and cut a deal to let a Lightning top up at a Supercharger station.   Otherwise you're stuck with regular Chargepoint chargers and fast DC chargers....which isn't going to cut it for long distance trips as those are multi-hour recharges compared to a 30 minute charge in a Tesla at a SuperCharger station....I haven't looked closely enough at the Lightning to get a good gauge on the charging strategy.  But it'll be awhile before a network of faster charging stations is built out.  I'm friends with the VP of Engineering at Chargepoint, and they're moving quickly to install the next gen fast chargers....but it's going to take time to get them all out.

I do not understand this either.  Why didn't they standardize the charging stations?  Seems like a no brainer to me. 

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 10:31:37 AM »

Just more work for you to upgrade their panel.  My house came with 100A service and one of the first things I did was put a new panel in to support the projects.  Houses are basically built to supply the minimum power they need at the time they are built and if you want to add AC, spa or whatever it could be an issue.

That said, there is more room within the 100 or 200 A panel with the energy saving stuff we have today coupled with natural gas.

The charging stations are getting very smart, I expect them to be able to run at whatever capacity is available.  More manufacturers are looking at combining the functionality of EV, PV, battery storage as well as traditional stuff like gas backup generators.

This is the issue.  As NG (and LP) become phased out (Seattle, Bellingham, etc.) we are forced to go to Heat Pumps for DHW and Heating (and soon clothes drying).  Although low-load tech is available thru VRV, it is still expensive to install.  So to meet code, we are seeing high demand systems.

We are see the majority of these issues in multi family and Condo situations.  MF and Condos are notorious for Electric Resistive heat and DHH coupled with 100 amp panels.
(Not sure why, but we install a TON of EV chargers in Condos)
Older buildings are the biggest concern.  EV stations and old parking garages don't mesh well together. HOA's don't like to hear their service won't support them without major, costly upgrades.

High LR ratings are an issue as well, but that isn't an EV charging issue, more of a "we didn't think of that when we wrote the code" issue.  It's become VRV or nothing for older communities and some more remote areas.

I hope sales lots will educate buyers on the issues they may face before purchasing.   Most can be easily overcome, but at an expense.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]