collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Trapper  (Read 3315 times)

Offline DrHawker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: Washington Falconer's Association
New Trapper
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »
Hello everyone,
On a whim, I decided to research trapping and ended up passing the online test. I was not truly considering getting into it this next year, but I was learning about it for giggles. Now that I passed I'm taking the option a lot more seriously. As somebody getting into trapping for the first time, are there any particular species you experienced trappers would recommended as being the easiest to learn the fundamentals and get started? I live in NW WA, and am primarily interested in bobcats, marten, fox, and maybe otter, but open to anything.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: New Trapper
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:59:56 PM »
http://www.watrappers.com/

Humptulips on here is involved with the organization

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
Hit up JakeLand and Machias...both very accomplished trappers and super cool guys to boot  :tup:

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »
Not necessarily advertising for him but will say the 4 traps I purchased from ouchhfoss are everything I expected them to be and more.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »
You asked easiest species to learn and I would start with beaver and muskrats if you’re wanting some early success. I noticed you didn’t mention those as a target but that’s my 2 cents on some species that would have faster learning curve. Good luck  :tup:

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »
You asked easiest species to learn and I would start with beaver and muskrats if you’re wanting some early success. I noticed you didn’t mention those as a target but that’s my 2 cents on some species that would have faster learning curve. Good luck  :tup:
good way to grab otters as well since they’re usually a by catch of beaver trapping

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 08:48:17 PM »
Good advice so far. Best animal to start out with from a pelt prep standpoint is muskrat plus they are easy to trap and the traps for them cheap and the easiest to build yourself. Do you have them around though? Pretty common but there are areas where they are far and few between.
Beaver have several good points. They are well distributed so you no doubt can find some to trap. Another good point is beaver and otter trapping go together. A set for one can take the other and otter are on your list. You want to trap cats fox and marten. You will need bait and there is no finer bait then beaver so go out and catch some bait. Down side is they are difficult to put up. Not impossible but it will take some time for your first few.
The beauty of beaver and rats is you will catch something with a few traps. The others can have long dry spells which can be discouraging especially when you are not sure of yourself.
Catch a few beaver and rats so you don't get discouraged.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline DrHawker

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Washington Falconer's Association
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. Beavers and rats sound like a great place to start. Any tips on purchasing or making traps?

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »
The best part of beaver and rat trapping is the bait it provides you to trap the fun stuff!
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »
The best part of beaver and rat trapping is the bait it provides you to trap the fun stuff!

:yeah:

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 04:08:20 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. Beavers and rats sound like a great place to start. Any tips on purchasing or making traps?
Definitely make your own muskrat traps. You can literally build them for any size you need. This is one I made that I only set one or too nights in any location. It's just too lethal.

Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline 3nails

• Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 04:09:42 PM »
 One night set with that trap.

Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »

I would go with mink and muskrats if you want easy.  There easy in everyway, i.e. catching, skinning and putting them up.
Raccoons are another one, easy to catch (I've ben known to catch a few) and put up.
Some people say they are hard to put up but beaver and otter are hard too.

No better time to learn how to catch and put fur up then now with low Fur prices.  Example: $3.00 muskrats ~ $8.00 Raccoon ~ $10.00 Beaver
Worst time to learn how to skin and put fur up is when the Fur prices are high.  Example: $18.00 muskrats ~ $35.00 Raccoon ~ $50.00 Beaver

Stay with the smaller things, muskrats and mink. Muskrat make good bait for mink, muskrat and bobcats.
Mink make good ........ crab bait.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.
See you at the Summer Rendezvous
JC   :hello:

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
Solid information f on everyone here. Rats by far are the easiest to catch in my opinion and are a heck of a lot of fun. Can stack numbers quickly and any trap set for muskrat could catch a mink. A beaver set could catch muskrat otter or low tide even a raccoon, they like to wade in the water. Welcome to the sport we hope you join wsta. Bruce and ouchfoss make outstanding traps. Comstock are great as well I have not yet tried advanced trap. I make all my own and it's very satisfying to catch with home made traps

Offline fatslinger

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 10:27:27 AM »
WSTA summer rendezvous is August 13, 14, 15 in Cashmere. It's a great place to buy traps and supplies ( no shipping $) and network with other trappers. Also, a fun weekend with great people.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal