collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wth is in my ling cod meat???  (Read 4088 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Wth is in my ling cod meat???
« on: May 30, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
I’m glad the wife isn’t here to see this or she’d throw it away!  But what the heck is this? I’ve cleaned several bottom fish, seen worms, no big deal, but this is new!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
Re: Wth is in my ling cod meat???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 09:39:14 AM »
I’m glad the wife isn’t here to see this or she’d throw it away!  But what the heck is this? I’ve cleaned several bottom fish, seen worms, no big deal, but this is new!!

Still looks like worms too  me

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:19:56 AM »
I remember the first time wife saw worms
Uh those are worms hun
Remember the little veins you see sometimes in a chunk of fillet
Yea
Fish don’t have veins
Don’t bring any more like that home
Oh ok
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
I remember the first time wife saw worms
Uh those are worms hun
Remember the little veins you see sometimes in a chunk of fillet
Yea
Fish don’t have veins
Don’t bring any more like that home
Oh ok
lol, yeah my neighbor and I just keep the whole worm thing to our selves! I’ve never seen nasty azz worms like that though!!!  I’ll be thinking of that when we have ling now! 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
95% of salmon have parasites.  If it’s in the ocean the only question is whether they are big enough to see or the small ones.

Those look pretty freaky, I’ll give you that.  Almost big enough to serve on their own as an appetizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »
 :yike: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »
The rule is... If you cant see the parasite its ok to eat.  If you can see the parasite its friggin gross, and nobody in their right mind would eat it.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
I've seen a lot of parasites in fish flesh, but never anything like that.  When we cut the ling for portions we cut it really high off the belly, to avoid the wormy meat. Tough on yields, but ling bellies are particularly bad for some reason.

95% of salmon have parasites.  If it’s in the ocean the only question is whether they are big enough to see or the small ones.

If you count sea lice, I'd say right about 100% of salmon have parasites.  But if you're talking parasites in the flesh, I haven't seen anything close to 95% mentioned anywhere. Genuinely interested - is there a source of info you can point me to?  Or is this something you've seen in the fish you've encountered?

Proper freezing or cooking kills em all, no matter the frequency. Best to assume they all have a parasite of some sort and play it safe. For cooking it, I feel like you have to nearly ruin the fish to cook it enough to kill all potential parasites. I believe 145F is the standard.  A decent temp if you hit it just right, but overdo it just by a little and the fish can get dry.

For freezing,  the FDA consensus is to hold it at -31F for 15 hours. Not possible in home freezers, so you should store your home-packed fish at -4F for 7 days (that's 7 days after the core temp has gotten down to -4F, not from the time you put it in the freezer). After that, it's sashimi safe. Thaw it out and eat it raw, do a ceviche, poke, whatever you want.  All good.

Pro tip- the faster you can get it frozen, the better the quality.  Spread it out in your freezer, vac pack in single filet thicknesses, and make sure there is air flow around the fish if at all possible to help it freeze faster.

Just some things I've learned over the years.

Nice fish trophyhunt, enjoy!   :tup:

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »
The rule is... If you cant see the parasite its ok to eat.  If you can see the parasite its friggin gross, and nobody in their right mind would eat it.

Same boat I'm in those things churn my stomach. There was a picture of a fish from riffe lake a few years ago thats still burned in my brain.

Offline GASoline71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »
Same boat I'm in those things churn my stomach. There was a picture of a fish from riffe lake a few years ago thats still burned in my brain.

First time we opened up a fish from Riffe and saw it's belly packed full of worms, we didn't even clean the rest of our catch... We tossed 'em.   :o  The next day I called the region biologist and asked what the deal was with worms in the fish at Riffe, and he told me that the Riffe fish have always had a few worms in them.  When I told him one of our fish had a belly cavity packed with worms, he said it was a rare occasion but the fish would still be safe to eat.  I was all... no way, you eat it then.  Haven't fished Riffe since...  :ACRY:

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 10:20:48 PM »

First time we opened up a fish from Riffe and saw it's belly packed full of worms, we didn't even clean the rest of our catch... We tossed 'em.   :o  The next day I called the region biologist and asked what the deal was with worms in the fish at Riffe, and he told me that the Riffe fish have always had a few worms in them.  When I told him one of our fish had a belly cavity packed with worms, he said it was a rare occasion but the fish would still be safe to eat.  I was all... no way, you eat it then.  Haven't fished Riffe since...  :ACRY:

Gary

Riffe was a fun fishery but I do agree. Saw it one time and it was my last. I may go catch them but if anything turns you into a catch and release fisherman it will be that. Will never keep any again from there.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 10:39:28 PM »
Gross.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 05:40:07 AM »
After you cook them, it is all protein. Ever hold a light under fish fillet from the market? Those ‘odd’ looking ‘spots’ in the meat? Yup.
You eat more of them than you know. One more reason not to eat raw fish. Or any raw meat for that matter. But hey, what is a few parasites between friends? Right?
 :P 8) :chuckle: :dunno: :tup:
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 07:59:43 AM »
Red Snapper bellies are loaded :drool:  All fish have them, we usually put the filet up against a window prior to cooking to see thru it and make sure it doesn't have any.
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 10:00:18 AM »
I’m used to seeing the worms, just never seen anything like this!!  I’ll be inspecting our lings extra good before we cook it. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal