collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leveling Kit and Tire Question  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Trigger05-11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Leveling Kit and Tire Question
« on: May 31, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »
I recently purchased my first diesel truck. It’s a 2004 Ram 3500 4x4. This truck will tow a little, but mainly be a woods truck. I am wanting to install a front end leveling kit and larger tires. I am considering springs and shocks in the front rather than the spacers as from everything I have researched the ride will be much better.  For tires I believe 35x11.50’s will fit. Considering BFF All Terrains as I have had good luck with them in the past.

What brands, sizes, and experiences have all of you had? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Leveling Kit and Tire Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 04:48:04 PM »
I have no personal experience but have a buddy with the Carli 2” and it rides nicer than stock in my opinion.  I have done a ton of leveling pucks with 35x12.50 when I worked at les schwab 10 years ago and never had a problem with the fitment.  Dodge and Ford has the rounded wheel wells so a 35x12.50 fits with just the level in most cases with aftermarket wheels.  Stock wheels might have some rubbing on the radius arms because of the offset.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
I recently purchased my first diesel truck. It’s a 2004 Ram 3500 4x4. This truck will tow a little, but mainly be a woods truck. I am wanting to install a front end leveling kit and larger tires. I am considering springs and shocks in the front rather than the spacers as from everything I have researched the ride will be much better.  For tires I believe 35x11.50’s will fit. Considering BFF All Terrains as I have had good luck with them in the past.

What brands, sizes, and experiences have all of you had? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

I researched tires forever before buying for my Tacoma. Went with the BF Goodrich All terrain KO2. 33x12.5x18 on my Tacoma. They are made in USA and 10 ply. Cheaper than TOYO. I’ve always ran TOYO this will be a change

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 07:05:01 PM »
Not sure how they'd wear on a diesel, but the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX tires have been awesome on my Tundras.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »
I’m on my 3rd set of Yokohama Geolander Mud Terrain. All have yielded 40k on my Ram 2500 Diesel. They wear awesome and never howl even when they get thin.

Best tire I’ve ever ran.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 07:29:39 PM »
I have a 2007 Cummins with a leveling kit and run 35x12.50 with no rubbing at all. Make sure when you get wheels you run factory backspacing. I have the nitto ridge grapplers and they pretty much suck. I’ve heard a lot of people say the BFG wear out fast. Maxxis razr is a good tire and also the toyo m/t as well.

Offline L8NITE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »
Went with the leveling puck on my dodge...no problems! Also stay away from the BFG's my diesel ate them...I went back to toyos and they are wearing great. was told the torque and weight from the diesel is what ate my BFG's :dunno:
"The Hunts not over!"

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 06:06:07 AM »
Went with the leveling puck on my dodge...no problems! Also stay away from the BFG's my diesel ate them...I went back to toyos and they are wearing great. was told the torque and weight from the diesel is what ate my BFG's :dunno:

Which BFGs were you running?
I get 55k to 60k out of the BFG AT KOs, the BFG Mud Terrains, I got 25k out at best.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 06:19:14 AM »
I have a 2" on my 05 dodge and run 285's. I ran Toyo A/t's first and got 50K out of them and now have the LesSchwab equivalents they sell and will get 60K out of these

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 07:05:09 AM »

Which BFGs were you running?
I get 55k to 60k out of the BFG AT KOs, the BFG Mud Terrains, I got 25k out at best.

I had heard great things about the KO2s then everyone saying they don’t last is making me nervous. Hopefully talking about mud terrains

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »
I just went down that rabbit hole and settled on the General Grabber ATX 275x65/20.  I've ran Cooper Discoverer AT3X before that 265/60/20, and Cooper Discoverer AT3's 265/60/20 before that. And would recommend any of them.

There are so many good tires out there, it's really hard to pick a top. 

Make sure you select a tired rated for the load of your truck and tongue weight of what you'd be hauling. 

Ford F150 come with light P rated tires, not even close to what you'd need to tow/haul at their max rating.  I run E rated.  Takes a hit on MPG and ride, but I feel confident to load up the truck as it should, plus I gain some meat on those nasty backroad roads.

Personal preference for looks and budget comes into play more so.  Grabbers were a few hundred less than the Coopers this time around.  But I really liked the coopers.  They held up well on ID unit 54 roads, which were brutal.  I have not clue how I didn't pop a tire.  I don't believe P rated would have handled them. 

I was up motoring around WA last season on some brushed in roads and missed a broken log sticking out.  Ran a 1/4 inch deep gash into the sidewall, but no lose of air and have ran them about 10,000 miles after before replacing.

USA made is top of my list.  My final list was the grabbers, coopers, BFG KO2, and Continental TerrainContact A/T.

BFG KO2 are probably the most popular tire, that was a knock on them for me, and really don't care for the looks.  Have heard a few grumblings the new tread material doesn't hold up as well.  Plus most costly.

Continental sounded really good to me to a dedicated towing tire that can do fine on everything, but I prefer a little more aggressive look.  I'm not sure that they go up to 35" though.

Hope that helps, good look.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 12:22:34 PM »
I had run Michelin AT2s for many years and, due to cost, decided to buy a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3s in an E load rating.

HEAVY tire for the size (275/70/18 62lbs)

Came from the factory with deeper tread than I'd seen on any other AT tire.

Smooth, quiet, great wear, no chunking from basalt, decent grip in snow and ice.

I'd buy them again.

Way too many poor reviews on the BFG KO2s for me....Most people buy them for looks.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 08:45:08 AM »
If you can budget a set of springs like Carli/thuren it is MUCH better ride then a lift.  I have had both.  Springs and Bilsteins are a big improvement in ride on rough roads.   Tires, Toyo AT and Les schabby version are decent tires.   Duratracs I liked as well.  Cooper's are good also.   BF's seem to get beat up on heavy diesels imop.   MT tires suck imop.   Keep in mind Ball joints are weak/worn in these trucks and big tire blows em out much quicker.
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan