collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kayaking the Yakima River? Canyon?  (Read 8924 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Kayaking the Yakima River? Canyon?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
We did Reds to the slab a lot. That was a good day of fishing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 09:35:18 PM »
Umtanum to Rosa is a big float for one day if you’re fishing too. Won’t be able to fish off the kayaks so it’ll be lots of stopping. 10+ miles.
it’s actually a quicker float then one thinks in June.  Flows are pretty fast that time of year.  Fly fishing or spin  fishing? 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 09:40:58 PM »
It’s 10 miles. Just seems like a lot while trying to get some quality fishing time in. I fly fish. Spin fishing would probably be easier and faster I guess.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 10:00:02 PM »
It’s 10 miles. Just seems like a lot while trying to get some quality fishing time in. I fly fish. Spin fishing would probably be easier and faster I guess.
come on Josh, nobody Quality fly fishes nowadays!  They just floated the Yakima with nymphs and bobbers! :peep: yep, I said it!

Offline Dale Gribble

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 02:19:11 AM »
Just drove the canyon the other day. Umtanum is closed for repairs it said. All blocked off and what not, you’d have to use bighorn which is now private and open only sometimes, or go even further up river and use ringer loop.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: Kayaking the Yakima River?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 04:31:55 AM »
That area can still be very dangerous during that time of year, way to many sweepers, I would wait until July.  If you want go now i would go to the canyon.

As  teenage kids my brothers and I tried to use an inner tube to cross a section of the river to an island behind and north of Boise Cascade in Yakima. We had one tube ...so the great idea was to tie a thin rope to it and I would cross first and they would pull the tube back and come across them selves. It had been in the 90's in June and the runoff was coming down pretty good. I got across and threw the tube back for them to pull back...you guessed it. The line broke. So here I am on an island in the Yakima.. 90 degrees outside not much shade. Brothers had to go to town and find someone with an innertube we could borrow and try to get it to me.....Lost two more tubes before we decided to call the county sheriff. They came about 5 that afternoon in a jet boat and picked up a sun burned dumba** kid. Of course the local news had to be there and mom had to see it on the news..GROUNDED
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 05:33:49 AM »
Are you still grounded??
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 06:32:17 AM »
come on Josh, nobody Quality fly fishes nowadays!  They just floated the Yakima with nymphs and bobbers! :peep: yep, I said it!
hahahaha! So true!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 06:52:24 AM »
Just drove the canyon the other day. Umtanum is closed for repairs it said. All blocked off and what not, you’d have to use bighorn which is now private and open only sometimes, or go even further up river and use ringer loop.

This is true, I should have added that. You can slide in easily down around the corner from Bighorn at the slides though, especially with Kayaks. Actually a good quiet launch spot. It's about 2.5 miles above Umtanum. This will take you through the Rock Garden, which isn't much at these flows but is arguably the waviest part of the canyon. Would be fun for the kids. Very straight forward, not dangerous at all.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 07:50:26 AM »
Snow melt, irrigation flow equals cold water, be careful out there

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Kayaking the Yakima River? Canyon?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2021, 08:42:08 AM »

I wouldn’t deny that. Just trying to picture it on a sit on top kayak. I ain’t doing it. I’m 100% positive I’d end up in the drink.

It does catch fish though!

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »
I floated from Irene Rinehart to Ringer in a Hobie SOT 2 weeks ago.  Would not recommend it over 2000 CFS.  From Ringer downstream, including the Canyon, you should be fine.  Rule of thumb is 1mph per 1k CFS.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
Lots of good info here and in PMs.  While it might not happen when in Yakima, soon, I'll keep it open for future trip ideas.

Thank you very much. 

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
hahahaha! So true!

The term "casting bubble" adds a little bit of purism the the activity. Seems so much classier than the red and white bobber!

(Although I remember a time when I'd have traded a body part for a red and white bobber... picture 9yo me tying on a little stick and trying to wing it out there without losing it!)

- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
hahahaha! So true!

The term "casting bubble" adds a little bit of purism the the activity. Seems so much classier than the red and white bobber!

(Although I remember a time when I'd have traded a body part for a red and white bobber... picture 9yo me tying on a little stick and trying to wing it out there without losing it!)

Fly fishermen call them strike indicators. Can’t believe he used the term “bobber”.
Sheesh.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand