collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishin' with First-Timers  (Read 14276 times)

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
Fishin' with First-Timers
« on: June 06, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »
As many of you know, (from my sharing on other threads), I work in full-time ministry with a Christian non-profit organization. I've served in ministry for 27 years (13 years as a pastor and 14 years now, as a missionary associate) working mainly on behalf of families (in youth ministry and international orphan care).

Today, my work as an associate with an organization called the Paraclete Mission Group is mostly comprised with walking alongside pastors, missionaries, ministry leaders, and their families to encourage them, coach, consult, and invest in their professional and personal lives. Much of what I do is built around giving them opportunities to rest, relax, recharge their "batteries" as they serve others and care for people who are often suffering or struggling with life's challenges.

So, one of the things I love to do is provide mentor hunts, mentor fishing trips, or send them on getaways to restore themselves.

The HUNT-WA members have been amazing people who have been investing in my work over the last 2-3 years, donating both hunting and fishing gear to my cause so that I can re-invest in ministry leaders. When you invest in a pastor, his kids, and marriage - you invest in the whole community around you because they're often the first ones to respond when crisis hits and will do whatever they can to comfort and care for the needs of others.

So, this thread is going to be a place for me to brag on you HUNT-WA and the fishing donations you've made to allow me to take pastors, missionaries, ministry leaders, and their families fishing.

I have another thread dedicated to hunting trips and donations for that too (read about it here: https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,260522.0.html).

---
First Time Fishers

Kitsap County, June 5: I had the wonderful opportunity to take a pastor and his two sons out on a fishing trip to a nearby lake. Thanks to the folks on this forum, we were able to outfit the boys with a tackle box and all kinds of tackle. As well, someone made a very nice financial donation allowing us to purchase 3 brand new rods and reels for the father/son group to use and take home. The boys were stoked.

One of the boys, when asked "what kind of fishing intrigues you the most?" answered, "all these amazing things in these tackle boxes...how do we use them and when?!"  Their eyes widened when they realized that someone donated all the gear.

My youngest son, Nate (15), came with us and became the resident naturalist, fishing guru, and netting master. He explained the variety of knots used to tie on hooks, showed the boys how to set up various rigging, explained the importance of depth and water temperature, and helped them learn how to remove a hook from a fish's mouth. He was my right-hand man.

Over the course of 4 hours, the kids and dad successfully brought in nearly 40 fish (bluegill, perch, sunfish, bass, and trout) through various means. And in the end, after a lot of laughs, smiles, and high fives, the boys said to their dad "we ought to go fishing more often!"

As we packed up the boat, piled into the truck, and headed down the road, the boys laughed and joked about all that had gone on. Who caught the largest fish. Who caught the smallest. Who caught the most. Who barely caught any (me). Then, one spoke up and asked another question.

"Nate, what's the biggest fish you've ever caught?" Levi asked Nate.

I looked in the rear view mirror to see him mulling it over. He's caught a lot of fish in the last 12 years, heck, he's always put fish in the boat when on the water together. But I knew which one he would share... one that wouldn't have happened without a Hunt-WA member getting involved in his life.

Nate spoke up, "A white sturgeon on the Columbia River. It was over 7' long and weighed easily over 100 lbs. It truly was a beast." Levi was amazed.

Zach jumped in, "How long did it take to reel in?"

"Well over an hour... my arms were exhausted. But man, what a rush! I was only 13 years old, but I'm totally hooked." (What a memory, thanks to M.W. on this forum, who helped us back then get to where we are now. It's our turn to pay it forward and help others too.)

After a few pictures by the boat, Nate and I pulled out of their driveway and headed home for dinner. It was time to clean some fish, unpack the boat, and tell some stories. What a great adventure. One we hope to do over and over again.

Fishin' with first timer pastors and their kids is something I hope will catch on. Take your pastor out on the water. Invest in his family. Teach him something new, make him a hero to his sons and daughters, and release the cares that they carry... and the community around them will flourish.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:02:46 PM by silverdalesauer »
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Re: Fishin' with First-Timers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 05:53:47 AM »
nicely done bud
 :tup:
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 06:57:50 AM »
Love it! Thanks for sharing  :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Alex4200

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:35:24 AM »
Nicely done and that’s for sharing

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 08:48:33 AM »
Great job on doing this for the kids. I can't wait to see the hunting photos.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:36 AM »
Sweeeeeet!!!

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 09:13:14 AM »
Absolutely Awesome!
Thank you for what you are doing.
I will be putting together a package for you in the near future!

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 03:24:58 PM »
Cleaning and prepping fish.

Levi getting a lesson from Nate.

Zach getting in on the action too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »
Pretty freaking cool Jeff!! You and Nate are making it happen. Love it. Those are some special times sharing that forst time experience with others. Bet Nate carries these memories in a special place!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 06:12:15 PM »
Sent a pm. I've got a fly rod and reel that will work for someone if that's something you'd be interested in.
I'd have to figure out how to get it to you though.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 06:43:25 PM »
Sent a pm. I've got a fly rod and reel that will work for someone if that's something you'd be interested in.
I'd have to figure out how to get it to you though.

I'll send you a reply PM. Thanks!

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »
Absolutely Awesome!
Thank you for what you are doing.
I will be putting together a package for you in the near future!

Awesome. Thanks!

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 07:09:57 PM »
I love it!
The best pastors out there are the ones that fish.
Aint none better!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 06:04:04 PM »
Taking out two pastors’ sons on Sunday with my 15 year old. They’re stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 03:22:15 PM »
Well, the last fishing trip was a hit, so we went out this morning with two pastors' teenagers (one was in the first story - it was his first fishing trip).  The boys went out with us for some coho, both of them had never fished for salmon before, so we continue to give new experiences.

We were on the water at 5:15am and within moments of setting lines in the water, both boys were reeling in their first fish. They caught a couple of Blackmouth Chinooks that had to be released, but they were thrilled to have notched a salmon in their bucket list. Unfortunately, the Coho were elusive today. But much fun was had as they learned about downriggers, how to read sonar, how to use various types of terminal tackle, and more. We had a lot of laughs, made some memories, and enjoyed a hot McD's breakfast on the way home.

The boys were stoked when I pulled out a couple frozen fillets from previous catches and handed them a recipe that they could cook up for dinner with their families. I know of 2 new salmon fishermen that now want to go out again. And I'm pretty sure their dads will be joining us next time. :)

Thanks for supporting this work. Keep donating gear if you can! It'll get used.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal