collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lots of shore birds on HWY23 East of Sprague  (Read 1348 times)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Lots of shore birds on HWY23 East of Sprague
« on: June 09, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
I've been seeing lots of shore birds in the alkali ponds east of Sprague on highway 23 out by 4th of July lake and over at the Hardy cut off road. There's American avocet, some common snipe, some different types of terns and some other little birds that are wren looking with about a 2-in beak and long legs. I thought maybe you folks with the better lenses could get out there and get some good photos!

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Lots of shore birds on HWY23 East of Sprague
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 12:37:06 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not a photographer but do enjoy some amateur bird watching. Shore birds are a favorite of mine. Though not in my pond, on the way to town on a backroad there was a little standing water spot an irrigation circle would make not 60 feet from the road. American Advocet for a few years running would inhabit this little 100ft by 100ft watering hole lined with reeds and some cattail. A beautiful striking bird.

My irrigation pond used to have what i believed to be spotted sandpipers. A cool little bird that bobs up and down. Other birds were great blue heron, egret and the occasional night heron with curlews living out in the fields. I once found a curlew nest in a field of wheat in May. Dark green eggs with brown flecks that were a little bigger then a chicken egg. Another time I found a nest in an alfalfa field that I had killed out to plant beans. When the plow got to the nest I made a point to leave that spot unplowed. Not 3 days later the eggs hatched and i found out for the first time that curlews are like killdeer. The hatchlings may spend just a couple days in the nest and then they are able to walk. The curlew call is so distinctive and easily imitated. I spent many a time "talking" to my curlew friends. Sort of like how its fun to "talk" to quail.  :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]