collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2021 Entiat Archery Deer Permit  (Read 21348 times)

Offline jhawk13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: 2021 Entiat Archery Deer Permit
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
I hope you shoot a big one!!! Definitely very few and far between but they are definitely out there. I shot an “ok” buck a couple days ago. I was only looking for something with mass.

My uncle and brother talked to you day 1 I believe. I would definitely stick it out in that same area….

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2021, 01:12:16 PM »
I hope you shoot a big one!!! Definitely very few and far between but they are definitely out there. I shot an “ok” buck a couple days ago. I was only looking for something with mass.

My uncle and brother talked to you day 1 I believe. I would definitely stick it out in that same area….
Congrats man.  Were they both on a quad? We had just found a shed antler out in a draw that we saw from the road.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline jhawk13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2021, 01:52:48 PM »

Congrats man.  Were they both on a quad? We had just found a shed antler out in a draw that we saw from the road.

Yeah, that was them. Couple of studs on that lower road. Worth a look from the opposite side :)

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2021, 01:51:31 PM »
Lots of deer again today and more bigger bucks. Put the stalk on two. Didn’t work out. Fog and rain are tough but still getting after it.

Short days are great for seeing deer all day. An hour doesn’t go past that we don’t see something

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline MountainTracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
Lots of deer again today and more bigger bucks. Put the stalk on two. Didn’t work out. Fog and rain are tough but still getting after it.

Short days are great for seeing deer all day. An hour doesn’t go past that we don’t see something
Sounds like you guys are having a great hunt. How’s the snow level looking, if you can see it? I have Chiwawa starting weds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbrady

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2021, 05:51:12 PM »

Was in Entiat today playing with the kids and we came across a few legal bucks, one of them was an absolute masher.  Had to be close to 30" wide, kids thought it was an elk when we saw it.  Rack was probably 4" past the tips of the ears I would guess.  I'll PM you the location.

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »
That's a nice offer. This could be an epic outcome for the hunter.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
That is a great offer.  I got you pm last night @tbrady but the tag was filled at 3:30.

After my last post the skies just started dumping rain.

My family was leaving on Sunday and this hunt was all about getting my daughter a buck and enjoying all the deer we saw.

3pm hits and we see a buck and ten does ahead of us. Some of the does in the road and the buck 20-30 yards off the road. We look at him for 15 minutes. Do I shoot so my wife is actually with me when I fill one of these tags? Do I shoot so I can go home with my family and get back to work that is piling up? Do I wait and hope for something bigger? What if I don’t see anything bigger? Hunting has been tough, very little snow. What if I do find something bigger and it works out? Will I enjoy it? Who will I celebrate with?  If I shoot this deer I’m still in line to hit for the cycle and fill all my tags.

I’m shooting.

I get out of the truck and walk behind it as my wife slow rolls up to the deer. The does stay in the road. I step out and to the side of the road. The buck is at thirty yards and walks to 34 where he stops broadside. I draw and settle my 30 yard pin high on his body and the 40 low, level my sight and send one straight through the boiler. He bolts and 7 of the does follow. Three stay behind and I have to move them to retrieve my arrow. Bloody from the thunderhead to the nock.

I start in the direction he ran and find a spot of blood but with the pouring down rain it is fading fast. I’m following his bigger tracks but there are 7 sets of doe tracks on top of them.  I come over the top of the hill 15-20 yards from the shot and see the does crossing the draw 100 yards below. No buck in sight but the draw is full of snow.

My wife comes over the hill to my left. I point to the does and tell her to scan the draw as I enter. I get to the snow and can’t find blood anywhere. I start to panic.
“I hit him good right?” She doesn’t know she had ranged him and was bringing up her binocs when I shot. She has no idea where it hit. At 34 yards the arrow was through him before my eyes could adjust. Wheee did it hit? Why isn’t he dead right here? Why did I take a shot in the pouring rain?

My heart is starting to sink when my wife says she found blood up high I start heading her way as fast as I can. She is moving uphill and stops. Dead in between us is the buck dead on the ground. He was literally 30 yards from me when I came over the hill but my eye caught the does and I didn’t look down to see him.

The elation and emotions come in waves. I have hunted hard and filled another tag.

My buddy texts “how are you guys doing?” I reply with a photo of the deer. He replies with I’m at your truck. He hikes up over the rise and we drag the deer 80 yards to road.

What an amazing hunt. I’m so blessed to be able to share so much of it with my family and friends that came along.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and help along the way from so many Huntwa members.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2021, 03:43:45 PM »
Couple pics.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »
Me and my little hunting buddy.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2021, 03:45:29 PM »
Lots of unpacking and butchering to do but I’ll update with a few other details when I have time.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »
And rocking the croc’s! Atta boy!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline jstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2021, 04:05:32 PM »
That’s awesome Family time.!!! Thank You for sharing your adventure. Great job to both of you.!

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2021, 04:08:39 PM »
Good job!  :tup:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »
Way to go to dad and daughter. Love the smiles.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]