collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chiwawa Archery  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Chiwawa Archery
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »
Good luck.  Lack of snow will make it a little more difficult to find deer but will also help with your stalks being quieter.

Sorry to hear about all of the cat tracks but that is the new normal.  Too many cats in this state.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline MountainTracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
So how about some good, some bad, and more good

This morning the temperature was about 10 degrees cooler than the opener and by noon it had dropped another 5 degrees. Way less wind as well.

Even with the cooler weather the morning hunt was rough, only seeing a hand full of does and a spike.

Around noon I meet up with some HuntWA members who also have the tag. Good dudes who offered to help me if needed since im solo. It’s nice to have the ability to meet guys when out hunting.

When I went out for the afternoon/evening hunt, I hadn’t been at it more than 20 mins and I had already seen more deer then I did all morning.  All of the deer I did see were doe’s, no bucks. Still pretty early as I’m checking all the ridges and hips. I get to a fork, turn around and there is a doe and a buck 200 yards up the ridge just inside the tree line. The buck could careless and the doe was giving me the stair, like why is this guy standing in the middle of the road? 

My goal with this hunt is to try and harvest a good mule deer representation.  This buck appeared to have what I was looking for, 4x4, decent mass, just outside the ears. It didn’t take me long to decide to put the stalk on.

I make my way to the up hill part of the road so they can’t see me anymore. The doe starts to move away and up the ridge. As I get closer moving down the road, I can see just the tops of bucks horns. I start moving slowly up towards the last location and there’s no buck!  I figured he had followed the doe, so I continue in the last known direction.

I spot them moving through some trees about 100 yards away. I pickup my pace and close the distance quickly. The wind was in my favor but it was starting to get later and the wind was starting to swirl ever so slightly.  The buck turns around and stairs in my direction as does the doe.

We are locked in a game of don’t move for almost 30 mins. I’m pretty positive they can’t see me clearly bc I’m behind a tree I was using to block my movement.  To my surprise the doe starts walking towards me and gets to about 40 yards, I’m thinking yes this buck will follow.  I’m pretty sure she was just trying to check the wind bc she promptly jumped back. She did this two more times.

Finally the buck moves behind a rock cropping and the doe goes on top of it.  The buck joins her on top and now he’s locked into my location. He is however standing completely broadside and elevated slightly, with the only thing blocking a shot is the tree I’m behind.

I lean out slowly and get a range, dial my sight. I’m about to draw back and step out when the buck looks back at the doe and takes off.  They head back over the ridge down towards a road. I follow and get to the road not knowing which way they went, so I start slowly up the road. I look back and spot him standing below the road but a ridge away. They went right I went left.

I worked my way to the last known location but never see him again

Even though it didn’t workout, it was still pretty awesome, and now I know what caliber of deer the area holds.  By the end of the evening I’d seen 40 deer, so a much better show then in the morning.

More good news I hear snow is headed this way by Saturday . Also about 85ish% of the doe’s I’m seeing have a fawn in tow, so that should help the numbers.  Still seeing cougar tracks!

I can only hope it’s going to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
Sounds like a great start to your hunt!  :tup:

Stick a cougar while your at it🏹
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 10:22:14 PM »

Stick a cougar while your at it🏹
:yeah: sounds like a great afternoon.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »
Congrats! At it that's great! A fun stalk for sure

Offline Gonehuntin01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, DU
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 07:24:53 AM »
Good write up.  Keep after it, you'll get him.

Offline MountainTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 06:53:56 PM »
Today was a much better day, started at 34 degrees and never got warmer than 36, and there was zero wind.

As soon as there was enough light I started spotting deer, a few small bucks and a 3x3, but nothing like the deer from the night before.  I keep working my way into a bowl. I come to a draw that runs down most of the area I’m in, I look down see nothing, I look up and instantly see deer.  Also most as fast a big 4x4 runs into my FOV. He is ran all over the place. It takes me a split second to see he is as good or better than the buck from the night before.

These deer were above a road, above me. Let’s just say I have a lot of experience driving a quad real fast, and I like to go fast. Im able to get below them in short order, however, they have been moving up the entire time. 

I’ve been doing the stair stepper thing for months and well I should have been running on the stair stepper, bc everything here is steep I’m following but not really making any ground so in desperation I give out a deer grunt and he stops. This gives me some time to keep gaining. 

I cross over a draw to get to his side, when I look up the draw and see another buck as big as the 4x4.  He’s looking right at me, so I put the glass on him and can see he is slightly outside his ears and heavier then the 4x4.  He finally turns his head to reveal he’s a really big forky.

Im now standing between these two deer both to far for a shot. The forky turns and starts walking away. I decide to try and catchup with the 4x4 bc I’m on his side of the draw, however, I lose sight of him. I move slowly up the ridge and never see either of the bucks that morning again.

For fear of busting them out of the area I back out.  At this point I’m pretty gassed and sweaty, this is where I learned a lesson I already knew, bring at least one shirt to change into when it’s this cool.  I get to my quad and promptly take off some of my gear to dry out, but while that happens I’m getting pretty cold. Lesson learned won’t forget at least a dry shirt in my bag.

Later that afternoon I talk with another tag holder and find out his deer sightings have been low.  I tell him about the deer in the area and tell him I know we could glass up a 3x3 I had seen in the morning. Hes happy for the help and I’m happy to help.

We do spot the 3x3 as well as many other deer. The tag holder works his way over to the buck, and I told him I’d keep an eye on the buck and that I was looking for two specific deer He’s able to get over by the buck, but before he could get into range the buck dropped off the back side of the ridge.  That’s archery hunting.

In the meantime I’m glassing like a madman trying to locate the two bucks from the morning, but I’m coming up empty. I do spot a spike and a doe sparking like the big boys do, it was funny to watch.

While glassing around I get a text from the other guy saying he sees the deer I’m looking for. They were extremely low and out of my view.  There ended up being a few smaller bucks with them also.

We didn’t have enough daylight to make a good play.  We noted their location and put together a plan for the morning.  Hopefully one of us will get a chance at these guys.

Overall saw lots of deer and it seems like things are getting better everyday

Offline MountainTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »

Stick a cougar while your at it
If I can I will for sure.

Online Bowhunter3

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
Dang this is sounding fun  :tup:

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 08:02:58 PM »
This is what late hunts are all about! Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to hear of your success :tup:

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2021, 08:04:37 PM »
Right on...  Get em!!
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 08:50:45 PM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »
 :yeah: heck yeah keep it up!

Offline MountainTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
Snow!!!!

FOG!!!!

Zero visibility.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »
Snow!!!!

FOG!!!!

Zero visibility.

It's clearing up this afternoon.  It should be epic tonight and tomorrow.  Great archery hunting conditions with fresh snow.   :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]