collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 204 Okanogan East, Help request  (Read 11102 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Re: 204 Okanogan East, Help request
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 01:55:35 PM »
It should be a good hunt.

You got good advice.

Gongrats to your friend on the draw.     :tup:

Thank you! I am stoked I didn’t expect to draw anything for a long time.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 02:40:47 PM »
The beauty and the curse of this state. Could draw with one point or go to the grave with 30. Good luck

Offline westside bull

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 02:58:50 PM »
Good luck on your hunt it should be fun. At this point with Washington's draw system it doesn't matter how many pts you have if it's your time to draw it's your time. I know someone who has drawn back to back quality buck tags so you never know what you will draw.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 08:19:12 PM »
The beauty and the curse of this state. Could draw with one point or go to the grave with 30. Good luck

I will take my wins where I can get them lol.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 08:20:21 PM »
Good luck on your hunt it should be fun. At this point with Washington's draw system it doesn't matter how many pts you have if it's your time to draw it's your time. I know someone who has drawn back to back quality buck tags so you never know what you will draw.

That’s really interesting I guess random is random.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 09:13:35 AM »
Thanks for the positive responses and The PM helpers too.
As I stated earlier We will definitely keep the updates coming, as We scout, hunt and hopefully find success.
I know it's only a doe tag but the first Deer is always memorable and special.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 08:14:35 PM »
I have drawn this tag twice (have not put in for it in 7 or 8 years) my son drew it twice as  a youth and daughter drew it once also. Public ground is plentiful and it holds plenty of deer. You are in for a great hunt that should result in meat! It is a hunt and there are always variables. We have property in 204 and one year my son drew the second rifle tag (sept 8 to Oct 9) and youth whitetail doe (regular season) and we gave it heck! We had cougars in the area that year, we drove over there every weekend in Sept and Oct and he shot a doe the very last weekend (only doe we saw long enough for him to get on). I tease him still that 90 pound doe cost me $10 a pound!!! But so worth it! Congrats on the draw and have a  hunt  :IBCOOL:

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:27 AM »
I have drawn this tag twice (have not put in for it in 7 or 8 years) my son drew it twice as  a youth and daughter drew it once also. Public ground is plentiful and it holds plenty of deer. You are in for a great hunt that should result in meat! It is a hunt and there are always variables. We have property in 204 and one year my son drew the second rifle tag (sept 8 to Oct 9) and youth whitetail doe (regular season) and we gave it heck! We had cougars in the area that year, we drove over there every weekend in Sept and Oct and he shot a doe the very last weekend (only doe we saw long enough for him to get on). I tease him still that 90 pound doe cost me $10 a pound!!! But so worth it! Congrats on the draw and have a  hunt  :IBCOOL:

I feel that all too well lol, this being my 5th year of hunting. I finally got Turkey, my wife gave me hell and goes “those are the most expensive damn turkeys we have ever bought”. But I would do it all over again, that feeling when I didn’t want to get up that last day to hunt. And then I doubled up, made everything worth it. Hoping this is my year to finally get a deer. And in case we see a cougar or a bear I have my tags for those too :). I look forward to being able to share my knowledge and failures with my son one day. He’s only 7 but keeps begging me to go hunting, but he’s just a wee bit too loud lol.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »

NOBODY hunts for the $$ savings!! Lol!
Yes, get your boy out there as soon as you think you have the patients to deal with HIM! As soon as you take a kid it is all about them, try to remember that and you will both be happier. My son took hunters ed at 7 and we started him on youth permits. He had three tags before he filled one but he set the dynamics for the hunts. He had opportunities but I always told both kids to never rush the shot, if it was the right shot the trigger would just go off. It was tough the first two deer that he saw but could not get set up on but he understood. That first deer each of the kids got will always be way more important to me than any of mine. I only carry a gun now because you never know when you're going to have a shot. Otherwise the kids can take all the deer as far as I am concerned. Just pay attention to your son and when you think he is ready start the process! It is AWESOME!

I feel that all too well lol, this being my 5th year of hunting. I finally got Turkey, my wife gave me hell and goes “those are the most expensive damn turkeys we have ever bought”. But I would do it all over again, that feeling when I didn’t want to get up that last day to hunt. And then I doubled up, made everything worth it. Hoping this is my year to finally get a deer. And in case we see a cougar or a bear I have my tags for those too :). I look forward to being able to share my knowledge and failures with my son one day. He’s only 7 but keeps begging me to go hunting, but he’s just a wee bit too loud lol.

Offline Tonasket2021

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Washington Bear Hunting, Hunting Washington State
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »
If you get the OnX app check out Walker Creek just east of Bonaparte or Spur Mt Rd by lost Lake. these are all National Forest Land.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2021, 07:36:01 PM »
If you get the OnX app check out Walker Creek just east of Bonaparte or Spur Mt Rd by lost Lake. these are all National Forest Land.
Thank you… we are getting close to our first scouting trip/ bear hunt.
My hunting partner and I plan on spending the first weekend in august getting a look at the land while keeping an eye out for the potential bear 🤞🏻
We will add this to our location list
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline ldjbuff

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2021, 01:17:53 PM »
A lot of the areas you were told to go are on fire. I would check some maps and see what is still open. The big fire in that area will not be contained until mid September. All the miles and miles of logging roads people hunted for years will have no trees/bushes on them.

It is horrible. We were notified this morning that many cabins were destroyed in the area near our personal cabin.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
A lot of the areas you were told to go are on fire. I would check some maps and see what is still open. The big fire in that area will not be contained until mid September. All the miles and miles of logging roads people hunted for years will have no trees/bushes on them.

It is horrible. We were notified this morning that many cabins were destroyed in the area near our personal cabin.
Thank You for the information. This fire has changed the plan dramaticly. We have had zero scout time other than onX. Been spending all our free time looking for bears on the west side. Hopefully we can still find a Doe in there (204) somewhere. Its a big GMU, We sure plan to give it our best. Maybe the whitetail deer will be concentrated in the areas outside of the fire zone?
I hope You cabin makes it
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline 81husky

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
Another closure. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd944970.pdf

I doubt this will last into hunting season, but we could sure use a rain storm or two.

Offline papaonthemountain

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Sunny Okanogan Country
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2021, 06:00:07 PM »
Slowhand, if your heart is set on hunting the reaches of Bonaparte, then you will have to modify your plans a bit.  As already reported, the picture is grim for the most part.  The east side of the mountain from Lost Lake to Bonaparte Lake to Wauconda is pretty much toast.  On the west side, where I live, the fire has come over the top and burned down roughly 1/2 of the way to the head of Siwash Creek and Fourth of July pass. 

Now for some good news... the local logging crew boys are busy putting in fire breaks along the Lost Lake Road to Havillah and Mill Creek Road, which, knock on wood, should stop it from getting down to private property.  There has been lots of air support the last two days and the weather has taken a turn for the better.

Couple of ifs... if the fire gets stopped and if the FS opens their roads, there will still be a fair amount of FS ground to tromp around on that holds whitetails.

Finally if all goes south for you and your buddy, give me a call.  I can help with direction or access to my ranch.

Dale
(509) 485-1910

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]