collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sinlahekin Quality Deer  (Read 4862 times)

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Sinlahekin Quality Deer
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »
No pictures or stories from past hunts?

Well I wish I had pictures of the buck that my brother and his buddy passed on the first morning of their hunt! 27+ wide 4 point with big eye guards. The bucks downfall was weak fronts or backs I can’t  remember but he was a stud. They passed because it was 10 minutes into a 2 week hunt🤦🏻‍♂️   the buck was literally 2 miles from camp and just let us gawk at him for 10 minutes. They ended up passing on multiple bucks that day and then the rut slowed down and the weather warmed up. it wasn’t nearly as productive for the rest of the hunt. My brother ended up with a decent 4 point and his buddy shot a 3 point. I don’t have pics
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 09:09:41 PM »
No pictures or stories from past hunts?

Well I wish I had pictures of the buck that my brother and his buddy passed on the first morning of their hunt! 27+ wide 4 point with big eye guards. The bucks downfall was weak fronts or backs I can’t  remember but he was a stud. They passed because it was 10 minutes into a 2 week hunt🤦🏻‍♂️   the buck was literally 2 miles from camp and just let us gawk at him for 10 minutes. They ended up passing on multiple bucks that day and then the rut slowed down and the weather warmed up. it wasn’t nearly as productive for the rest of the hunt. My brother ended up with a decent 4 point and his buddy shot a 3 point. I don’t have pics

You don't happen to remember about what the dates were do you? I can take the entire season off if I want but don't believe much usually starts happening until around November 8 or so.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 09:21:41 PM »
The rut was in full swing on the 6th and was considerably slower when it warmed a couple days later

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »
Definitely camp in the valley if you can. I had the buck tag last year and if I had to do it again I would have posted up inside the guts of the unit.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
Definitely camp in the valley if you can. I had the buck tag last year and if I had to do it again I would have posted up inside the guts of the unit.

Did you get one, pics?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »

Did you get one, pics?
Didn’t close the deal on anything. I dedicated the last 8 days of the season for the permit. Stayed in a rental house outside of conconully. Got up early every day, drove the side by side from conconully into the unit every morning. The weather was cold, snowy and nasty like I was wanting. Spent a lot of time in a few of the most reputable spots in the unit for whitetail. Nada. Seen a lot of does, no bucks on public land and they were extremely spooky, even for whitetail. The last day on the last half hour, almost getting hard to see and saw a little basket 3 I could have shot but wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. No regrets on any of my decisions except camping somewhere near Conner lake or forde lake. Had some acquaintances from Darrington that spent 2 full weeks camped by forde lake, hunted their butts off to only fill 2 of their 3 buck tags. They got a couple of little basket 3s, but they did see a lot more animals because of the camping I believe, said they seen some monster mulies periodically through out their stay.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 01:06:26 PM »
I always try and get a spot by forde lake. Great spot  :tup:

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »

Did you get one, pics?
Didn’t close the deal on anything. I dedicated the last 8 days of the season for the permit. Stayed in a rental house outside of conconully. Got up early every day, drove the side by side from conconully into the unit every morning. The weather was col
snowy and nasty like I was wanting. Spent a lot of time in a few of the most reputable spots in the unit for whitetail. Nada. Seen a lot of does, no bucks on public land and they were extremely spooky, even for whitetail. The last day on the last half hour, almost getting hard to see and saw a little basket 3 I could have shot but wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. No regrets on any of my decisions except camping somewhere near Conner lake or forde lake. Had some acquaintances from Darrington that spent 2 full weeks camped by forde lake, hunted their butts off to only fill 2 of their 3 buck tags. They got a couple of little basket 3s, but they did see a lot more animals because of the camping I believe, said they seen some monster mulies periodically through out their stay.

Thanks for the info Southpole, but just to clarify this is for the mule deer. I understand you can shoot whitetails but I have the late muley tag.

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »

Did you get one, pics?
Didn’t close the deal on anything. I dedicated the last 8 days of the season for the permit. Stayed in a rental house outside of conconully. Got up early every day, drove the side by side from conconully into the unit every morning. The weather was col
snowy and nasty like I was wanting. Spent a lot of time in a few of the most reputable spots in the unit for whitetail. Nada. Seen a lot of does, no bucks on public land and they were extremely spooky, even for whitetail. The last day on the last half hour, almost getting hard to see and saw a little basket 3 I could have shot but wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. No regrets on any of my decisions except camping somewhere near Conner lake or forde lake. Had some acquaintances from Darrington that spent 2 full weeks camped by forde lake, hunted their butts off to only fill 2 of their 3 buck tags. They got a couple of little basket 3s, but they did see a lot more animals because of the camping I believe, said they seen some monster mulies periodically through out their stay.

Thanks for the info Southpole, but just to clarify this is for the mule deer. I understand you can shoot whitetails but I have the late muley tag.
Yeah, I knew that you got the quality deer permit I was just answering Boss 300 about my hunt. It’s all good territory though, guys were seeing mature mule deer down in the valley too. Some friends that stayed with me all week, just to fart around while I hunted, seen a really nice mule deer buck rutted up with an entourage of small whitetail bucks a little above Blue lake.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:06:28 PM by Southpole »

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »
SI Eagle, I believe you can shoot any buck whitetail as well.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 08:01:39 PM »
This should be an epic hunt! Cannot wait to see how it goes. That area is just so awesome, get a bit of weather (maybe not quite as early as last year) and have a blast! You should see plenty of deer and many more with some weather in the high country. Best of luck!

Offline ASienkiewich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:49 AM »
Tagging along. Play the weather right and camp in the valley. Goodluck. Should be a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shannon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 07:32:12 AM »
I have property near Conconully and spend a lot of time in November over there. I'd say almost every year the mule deer rut is slowing down around November 20th. I get the most activity around the 5th through the 15th. When we bow hunt we have a few days of rutting activity and then it really slows down. Good luck on your hunt.

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
Last year on the 16th we seen the most movement of animals then after that it petered out and got real slow. That’s also when the snow blew in too.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10