collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is considered bait?  (Read 14711 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
What is considered bait?
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:56:12 PM »
I have a couple of deer bait stations going and have mineral licks at all of the spots. The bears love to come in flip the *censored* out of the licks and bite my damn cameras.

Anyways, my question is.  Does a mineral lick count as bait?

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: What is considered bait?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:58:45 PM »
Yes
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 10:27:17 PM »
If you put something out to attract and animal it is bait...doesn't matter what animal it attacks...still bait

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 11:37:41 PM »
If you put something out to attract and animal it is bait...doesn't matter what animal it attacks...still bait

Good to know, what’s your thoughts on if the bear isn’t using it. But there is a game trail heavily used by all the animals and you are out hunting deer and a bear or cougar walks by. Is it not legal anymore just because you are hunting on a bait site even if the bear hasn’t used it on camera once?

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 06:17:38 AM »
Per the rules you have to be a certain distance away.   

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 07:11:02 AM »
Is that distance in writing? I ask because I've never seen it that I recall. I personally wouldn't hunt bear for example until after 30 days after bait depleted if baiting for deer. I've just not seen X amount of time or distance in writing.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »
Believe it says bait piles have to be separated by 200 yards. If that's the number for being separate, that should be how far you have to be from it to not be considered baiting. Since 200 yards is good enough to not be in violation of the baiting maximums.  :dunno:

Offline LabChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 08:32:18 AM »
Believe it says bait piles have to be separated by 200 yards. If that's the number for being separate, that should be how far you have to be from it to not be considered baiting. Since 200 yards is good enough to not be in violation of the baiting maximums.  :dunno:

I’d call WDFW instead of asking on a forum. The way I read the comment above would make me think if I had a deer bait and set up 200 yards away and a bear came in I could shoot. I don’t think that would fly if you shot a bear and got checked in that scenario. I could be wrong too. That’s why it’s always better to talk to the source for the straight answer.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 08:39:06 AM »

I’d call WDFW instead of asking on a forum. The way I read the comment above would make me think if I had a deer bait and set up 200 yards away and a bear came in I could shoot. I don’t think that would fly if you shot a bear and got checked in that scenario. I could be wrong too. That’s why it’s always better to talk to the source for the straight answer.
I would like to add .........
Get the name of the person you talk to.
Emails are like gold ,cause then you have the answer,name,number,email address,and a very tiny piece of accountability. Proof of contact,ECT,ECT.

With all that said .....
I'm curious what the answer is from  enforcement department would say?

Maybe one of the wardens that are on huntwa will chime in. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I'm thinking it's all about evidence ,what a warden can prove that you did or didn't do.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:57:15 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »

:yeah: and get it in writing. I'd assume nothing when it comes to baiting. :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Alan K

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 11:13:32 AM »
The real answer is it'd be up to an officers discretion. Probably wouldn't get prosecuted in this day and age anyhow, but if it did I would think it would be fairly easy to get off on. Seems anything that doesn't have a well defined rule that can be referenced is let go.  The 200 yard thing is the only actual distance related to baiting that is in the rules as far as I know.  :dunno:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »
The real answer is it'd be up to an officers discretion. Probably wouldn't get prosecuted in this day and age anyhow, but if it did I would think it would be fairly easy to get off on. Seems anything that doesn't have a well defined rule that can be referenced is let go.  The 200 yard thing is the only actual distance related to baiting that is in the rules as far as I know.  :dunno:

Sorry, but he's not talking about participating in a BLM or ANTIFA riot. Wildlife crimes are being prosecuted. If you subscribe to Facebook, you should follow the WDFW LE page.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »
This is all good information, I don’t want to break any rules. Best part of this is I know the trail he has been using for weeks now. So I could easily go 200 yards up. I will call the area Wdfw and see what they think. And I will let y’all know, I don’t think they are open on the weekends but I will try to email them :). But yes paper trails are always good they have saved me a few times now, so I just try to keep them. Even when it’s not hunting related :).

Thanks everyone I will update as soon as I get more info.

Offline Alan K

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 03:36:36 PM »

Sorry, but he's not talking about participating in a BLM or ANTIFA riot. Wildlife crimes are being prosecuted. If you subscribe to Facebook, you should follow the WDFW LE page.

Do you realize how many fish and game officers have given in up in recent years because of the lack of prosecution on open and shut cases?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »

Do you realize how many fish and game officers have given in up in recent years because of the lack of prosecution on open and shut cases?

No, how many?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]