collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is considered bait?  (Read 14708 times)

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: What is considered bait?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 12:05:36 PM »
So what I hear is if I buy a couple dozen doughnuts and randomly throw them around an area people bear hunt I can turn them in for baiting and maybe get enough points to have a 1% better chance of drawing a moose tag. :chuckle:

And no I wouldn't actually do that.

And I am aware points dont mean *censored* in this state.

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »
So what I hear is if I buy a couple dozen doughnuts and randomly throw them around an area people bear hunt I can turn them in for baiting and maybe get enough points to have a 1% better chance of drawing a moose tag. :chuckle:

And no I wouldn't actually do that.

And I am aware points dont mean *censored* in this state.

I mean theoretically yes, but if you did that I hope someone poops in your wheaties ;). Being a new hunter, and learning all of this stuff. I definitely see a lot of people heated and upset about the system in general. Me? I am just happy I finally get to go hunting, after 15 years of trying to get out and not knowing where to start I am just super thankful to even have the chance at all.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 02:01:08 PM »
Tag  ;)
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 03:25:04 PM »
Hypothetical. what if I bait an area for deer in the timber, where the bears happen to sleep and they wander 50 yards south of the bait going to a field of endless blackberries maybe 150 yards from said bait.. As I sneak into the bait i spot the bear and shoot it.. If u can prove no bear hit your bait from cams or show piles of skate with only seeds and even open the stomach to prove your side is this acceptable..i would argue this all day in court..
As used in this subsection, "bait" means a substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting black bears to an area where one or more persons hunt or intend to hunt them.

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
The real answer is its probably intentionally vague because there would be so many ways around the law if they narrowed it down to much (the caveat is it makes it harder to prosecute said offense)..this law seems very much up to officers discretion and could vary immensely from region to region and even different officers in said region as I would assume most of us if we were wardens would be happy another predator was removed..i hate to say it but this is a dont ask dont tell deal and asking your local warden might put you in a worse position later on.. Seems up to the hunter and the setting to decide if theres a risk and what that might be.. As much I hate to say it because of what was posted earlier about other baits in your area you dont know about

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 05:13:13 PM »
I would personally feel comfortable shooting a bear 200 yards or more away from a bait. I baited a really remote unit legally for bear in Idaho a few years ago. I had amazing bait cream pies donuts etc. the huckleberries were out big time and there were many bears around. Only one came to check out the bait for a few minutes. It was easier to shoot a bear away from the bait and they were totally focused on the berries. If you are really only baiting deer or elk and shoot a bear well away from that bait I would hope a warden would use some common sense. If you set a bait and bears are hitting it every day and then sit 200 yards away on a well beaten bear trail. Then you’re breaking the law and should get a ticket. I don’t know seems like common sense would keep you out of trouble. I don’t know if they are going to write tickets if you are anywhere around any baits that have been in the last month I would bear hunt a completely different area from your deer elk spot. It’s written so broadly that again common sense should apply. you would know 100 percent if the bears were hitting on your baits regular if they are don’t shoot. If you randomly bump one well away from bait that seems like fair game ? Interesting topic I’m glad I don’t have to deal with it.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 06:51:44 PM »
Looks like my answer is up in the RCW for bear baiting.
If you fart really hard and let a stinker out,and it attracts a bear your baiting. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Wife said if I did that it would kill everything within a quarter mile radius!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Some years ago I was scouting one of my old bow hunting areas for bear. Houses had been put into the area so I was curious what it was like.
Went a ways, thought about turning around, then went another 50 feet just over a rise. Big HUGE pile of donuts right on the trail.
I bailed and did not go back even though I saw bear sign.
That is the problem. If I had shot a bear ANYWHERE near that pile, even without knowing about it, I could be cited, or worse. That would suck!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 08:37:50 PM »
GWP I guess that is kinda the point.. The law cant be to specific because they could never actually prove it was you who did it (cams maybe but trail cam film is suspect in court).. So they leave it up to the warden, but in your case that would be tossed out of court immediately whether you did or not because there's no proof u placed the bait.. Would love to look up the number of bear baiting prosecutions given out each year that aren't related to poaching

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 01:21:07 AM »

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 01:27:39 AM »
I would personally feel comfortable shooting a bear 200 yards or more away from a bait. I baited a really remote unit legally for bear in Idaho a few years ago. I had amazing bait cream pies donuts etc. the huckleberries were out big time and there were many bears around. Only one came to check out the bait for a few minutes. It was easier to shoot a bear away from the bait and they were totally focused on the berries. If you are really only baiting deer or elk and shoot a bear well away from that bait I would hope a warden would use some common sense. If you set a bait and bears are hitting it every day and then sit 200 yards away on a well beaten bear trail. Then you’re breaking the law and should get a ticket. I don’t know seems like common sense would keep you out of trouble. I don’t know if they are going to write tickets if you are anywhere around any baits that have been in the last month I would bear hunt a completely different area from your deer elk spot. It’s written so broadly that again common sense should apply. you would know 100 percent if the bears were hitting on your baits regular if they are don’t shoot. If you randomly bump one well away from bait that seems like fair game ? Interesting topic I’m glad I don’t have to deal with it.

That’s kind of how I saw it, I have proof they never have been on or over the bait. One bear kicked the salt lick and never touched it again. I had 260 photos over 3-4 weeks, 90% were elk and deer with one bear coming down the trail or messing up a tree away from my bait. The game trail is definitely heavily used by all the animals, but I never once saw the bear. And all the bear scat in the area has no corn, or apples. The freshest pile looked to have rabbit fur in it. Time will tell, I will try to use my best judgement my main goal is deer this year and if I get lucky and an elk wanders in I will happily take that. But the bear I will just have to bump him no where near the bait station.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2021, 01:31:29 AM »
GWP I guess that is kinda the point.. The law cant be to specific because they could never actually prove it was you who did it (cams maybe but trail cam film is suspect in court).. So they leave it up to the warden, but in your case that would be tossed out of court immediately whether you did or not because there's no proof u placed the bait.. Would love to look up the number of bear baiting prosecutions given out each year that aren't related to poaching

In my experience, when a law isn’t well defined. It makes it hard to prosecute, and from What I have been told by other friends in the police force (obviously not the same). Typically a grey area law, is made because no one really agrees with it. Except the voters, so it’s a way to shut the public down because the law exists. But makes it near impossible for any officer to prosecute it due to lots of wiggle room. Anyways, I don’t know if that’s 100% true, it’s just what I have been told in the past.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 03:22:47 AM »
I don't know guys......
That RCW for baiting bears is pretty cut and dry and really has nothing to do with baiting for deer and Elk.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 05:57:34 PM »
Well thats kinda the point.. Your putting out a deer food block specifically made to attract deer.. Under the bear baiting section it says with the intent to attract a bear which clearly your not.. The law is vague as *censored* and im sure plenty of people skirt around it..

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 06:20:12 PM »
Washington has some pretty goofy rules for hunting and fishing. Makes it difficult to figure out for the ‘newbies’ that either move here or are just getting into hunting. After a decade or so you start to get a ‘feel’ for it!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤯
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]