collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice on 11 1/2 ft Artic Fox camper  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Tight Spin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
Looking for advice on 11 1/2 ft Artic Fox camper
« on: June 13, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »
I am looking at buying a used Artic Fox 11 1/2 ft camper with a dinette slide out from a friend . My question is I have a 1 ton 2005 1 ton dodge diesel 4 door with a 6 speed manual transmission  and a full lenght bed and is not a dually. I was told it is not recommended to carry that big of camper without duallys. Anybody out there not using  duallys. I was looking at getting some wide tires in the rear in say a 12 ply.  Whats your input. Thanks Larry
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:54:15 PM by Tight Spin »

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Re: Looking for advice on 11 1/2 ft Artic Fox camper
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »
Seen many of them on similar trucks. I would only do it with airbags and 19.5
tires that can handle the weight. Or set it on there and see how it rides.

Offline JustinC

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/CrossleyJustin
    • Rokslide
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »
I personally wouldn't want to haul one that size without a dually. Even if you upgrade tires to handle the weight, you will still be very unstable in my opinion.

I run a 2018 Arctic Fox 990 on a 2018 F350 dually with airbags and love it. I added the airbags because I tow a 25' enclosed trailer behind it on some trips.

Assistant Editor at Rokslide

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 06:53:42 PM »
Compare the weight if the camper with your cargo capacity & there’s your answer

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
Seen many of them on similar trucks. I would only do it with airbags and 19.5
tires that can handle the weight. Or set it on there and see how it rides.
This...

A dually would be more stable but the axle is stout and the tires are the main weakness.. 245 19.5 are rated at 5k a tire so they can handle the weight. The rear axle is a full floater so...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »
I have a set of 19.5 vision heavy hauler wheels with 245 70 19.5 g rated falken tires I've ran on my 03 dodge for hauling my arctic fox camper. Getting ready to list them for sale only have 1500miles or so on them pm me if you interested. I hauled mine on a 2500 ram with rear sway bar and timbrens and have no problem.

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 08:10:37 AM »
We have a 2007 dodge 1 ton Dually manual that we haul our 11.5 Artic fox camper. We have Torklift over load pucks instead of air bags which we believe was a better stabilizing option for us. We run toyo m55 tires as well. Also, an exhaust brake cause dodges braking systems suck. I can’t imagine not having the extra set of tires for stabilizing the load especially fully loaded with water and gear. Don’t want to a Debbie downer but I’d hate to see you spend money and time getting setup for this then have it not work out. It’s quite a load.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Tight Spin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 08:25:42 AM »
Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. I do have air bags so I am going to look into some tires. Deerlick what are you asking for yours.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
Compare the weight if the camper with your cargo capacity & there’s your answer

I think there's a little more to it than that.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 09:54:40 AM »
Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. I do have air bags so I am going to look into some tires. Deerlick what are you asking for yours.

$1500 for the full set of wheels and tires and lug nuts. tires are the falken bi850

Offline Tight Spin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 11:07:26 AM »
PM sent Deerlick

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »
We have a 2007 dodge 1 ton Dually manual that we haul our 11.5 Artic fox camper. We have Torklift over load pucks instead of air bags which we believe was a better stabilizing option for us. We run toyo m55 tires as well. Also, an exhaust brake cause dodges braking systems suck. I can’t imagine not having the extra set of tires for stabilizing the load especially fully loaded with water and gear. Don’t want to a Debbie downer but I’d hate to see you spend money and time getting setup for this then have it not work out. It’s quite a load.

I wish I had an exhaust brake.. but don't agree with your assessment on the brakes. The E brake sucks but...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »

I wish I had an exhaust brake.. but don't agree with your assessment on the brakes. The E brake sucks but...
We’ve had a 96 1 ton dually that also had a weak braking system. We’ve installed different brands of brake components over the years and nothing makes any difference, just glad we have a manual with the exhaust brake. A lot of our dodge pickup repair customers over the years also have the same opinion  :dunno: .
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 12:49:08 PM »

We’ve had a 96 1 ton dually that also had a weak braking system. We’ve installed different brands of brake components over the years and nothing makes any difference, just glad we have a manual with the exhaust brake. A lot of our dodge pickup repair customers over the years also have the same opinion  :dunno: .

Ok I had a gen 2 and those brakes are bad 03 and better have great disk brakes

Confucius

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 01:21:04 PM »

have you tried switching to gm 1 ton rear wheel cylinders. lots of info online with part#s, i did the swap on my 98 and really improves the braking over stock.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]