collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: preferred rifle sling  (Read 5302 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
preferred rifle sling
« on: June 14, 2021, 02:11:16 PM »
Do any of you guys run slings similar to the Kifaru gun bearer? That is what I am using now but looking for a different option because the shape of the shoulder straps on my Mystery Ranch pack aren't ideal for the universal set up. I do like the concept as it allows me to be much for hands free and not always sliding the sling back up onto my shoulder like a normal sling.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: preferred rifle sling
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 02:22:13 PM »
I've been running the Kifaru gun bearer on my Mystery Ranch pack for years.   Which MR pack do you have?   On my Crew Cab I just put the barrel strap above my chest strep on the shoulder strap.  Keeps it from sliding down. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 02:34:00 PM »
I've been running the Kifaru gun bearer on my Mystery Ranch pack for years.   Which MR pack do you have?   On my Crew Cab I just put the barrel strap above my chest strep on the shoulder strap.  Keeps it from sliding down.

I have the metcalf and run my chest strap a little higher with my bino harness. With my gun bearer attached below I battle it sliding down and it drives me crazy

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 02:53:52 PM »
Is there any seem spots in the strap that goes over the padded shoulder strap that you could hook the gun bear strap behind to stop it from sliding down? I just used a short piece of strap with a clip on my MR pack strap.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
Is there any seem spots in the strap that goes over the padded shoulder strap that you could hook the gun bear strap behind to stop it from sliding down? I just used a short piece of strap with a clip on my MR pack strap.

I might end up sewing something on my strap to keep it from sliding down. Maybe its just me since I am the only one that seems to have this issue   :chuckle:

Offline HAGEMANIAC

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, NWTF, RMEF, MDF, VFW, USAF
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
I run the gun bearer with a Metcalf and haven't had issues. Right between the chest strap and stitching and doesn't budge.

God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
I run the gun bearer with a Metcalf and haven't had issues. Right between the chest strap and stitching and doesn't budge.

I will give it another run on my next hike and see if I can find the sweet spot.

Thanks all

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 04:38:06 PM »
not always sliding the sling back up onto my shoulder like a normal sling.

It's no Kifaru, but my go tos have been Vero Vellini Air Cushion Neoprene slings, which work great in wet weather.

Vero Vellini Air Cushion Sling Neoprene

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2426476559

But I have become a fan of these.

Turner Saddlery National Match All Weather Military Shooting Sling 1 1/4" Wide Biothane

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2490120458

You can slip your rifle sling under your chest strap to keep it in place when you don't expect to be using it such as dark hikes in or out.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 05:16:55 PM »
My go to sling is a Limbsaver Kodiak Air
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 05:29:54 PM »
I have a Kifaru gun bearer and a kifaru pack but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve always like the Quake Claw slings. The part that goes over your shoulder is rubber and does not slide. I plan on trying the gun bearer, but it does seem like something that will take some getting used to.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »
I removed my sling and haven’t looked back… yet. 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 05:42:52 PM »
Carry a standard sling in my pack so if I need one I have it (usually so my son can carry the rifle if I'm carrying the meat).  I have a Kuiu pack and if I'm hiking with a rifle on a mission I can and have strapped the rifle to the pack.  They have a similar set up to the kifaru and I have yet to find a way to comfortably carry / sling it to the front of my shoulder. 

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 05:55:49 PM »
Preferred: for rifles just the web sling, like off an M-16. I prefer it over a padded sling especially when wearing a jacket. Now for hauling three beaver off the river, one beaver in the ruck sack, two M-60 slings with a beaver on each, slung across the chest.
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »
I have a Kifaru gun bearer and a kifaru pack but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve always like the Quake Claw slings. The part that goes over your shoulder is rubber and does not slide. I plan on trying the gun bearer, but it does seem like something that will take some getting used to.

They do take some getting used to but that's the only way I carry my rifle now.  Especially handy if you are using trekking poles.  I use those alot now too. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »
Me too
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 07:47:22 PM »

They do take some getting used to but that's the only way I carry my rifle now.  Especially handy if you are using trekking poles.  I use those alot now too.

Use of two trekking poles is why I like the hands free. I saw little clips that look cool too but seem expensive for what they are.

https://creedoutdoors.com/collections/frontpage/products/creed-outdoors-sling-saddle-combo

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:39 PM »
For me its either in the gun bear or strapped to the side of my pack if not in my hands. Hiking with any over the shoulder sling is a major pain. This coming from a guy who used to think sling was the only way.

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 08:43:30 PM »
Another vote for both the quake claw and kifaru gun bearer depending on the situation.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 10:12:23 AM »
I’m a big fan of Kyle Lambs hunting sling available through Viking Tactics. Quick length adjustment capability for use in a shooting position. Anti-slip backing on the shoulder portion. When I need to go hands free I simply put my pack sternum strap over the rifle sling which keeps it in place.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 07:53:41 PM »
I also use Quake rifle slings on all my hunting rifles. If I am hiking in, I will run my chest strap around my sling, so I can have hands free movement when needed.

When I was young my uncle showed me how to sow a button on the shoulder of my hunting coat. This kept the sling from slipping down in most instances.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline kbrowne14

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
For those of using trekking poles what do you like?  I am interested in the gun bearer but am a little Leary about having the gun under my arm.  I am curious about the Mystery Ranch hands free one, they appeared to have updated it, anybody try the updated one on any real hikes or hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We got a little distracted by somebody doin' the Repeater."

"Huh. That'll happen.  That will happen."

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »
Pretty happy with my Leki's.  They're the Micro Vario Carbon AS.

I think trekking poles are just one of those things that once you use them, you will always have them. 

Offline kbrowne14

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »

I think trekking poles are just one of those things that once you use them, you will always have them.
I use trekking poles, I was asking about the the people who use poles, carry a rifle while using the poles.  Right now, I have nothing, it is strapped to my bag while I use trekking poles.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 01:10:05 PM »
Gunbearer all the way. You couldn't pay me actual US dollars to use a sling again.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 01:37:48 PM »

I use trekking poles, I was asking about the the people who use poles, carry a rifle while using the poles.  Right now, I have nothing, it is strapped to my bag while I use trekking poles.

I use the Kifaru gun bearer with my Exo pack. I'll never go back to a sling. I actually stopped using a sling several years ago and just carried my gun or strapped it to my pack. Now that I use the gun bearer it all feels complete. I hike with trekking poles often and do not find the gun to ever be in my way.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline kbrowne14

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 01:46:19 PM »
Gunbearer all the way. You couldn't pay me actual US dollars to use a sling again.
Is it a little weird to get used to?  How about using Binos?  Is there any inconvenience at all?

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2021, 01:57:22 PM »
Is it a little weird to get used to?  How about using Binos?  Is there any inconvenience at all?

None. If there was any discomfort it is the gun hanging from that shoulder, but it's a fraction of what is experienced by having a gun on a sling over your shoulder. No interference with binos. You just need to play with the length of the lower support and position of the strap on your shoulder strap to get the angle of the gun where you want it. Takes about 1 minute. I fought getting one for a couple years, and kept strapping to my pack. Finally just bit the bullet a couple years back and it's been great.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2021, 01:58:30 PM »

You can use the rifle barrel to steady your binos. It took me a bit to figure out the gunbear but i really like it now.

Offline IFunk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, TBOW
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2021, 02:40:01 PM »
I have 2 claws and think they are a good value for the money, but I also find them frustrating as hell.  I think they are fine for walking down a well maintained trail or forestry road, but get off trail and all bets are off.  Especially if using trekking poles.  I have very narrow shoulders an inevitably the rubberized pad slips off my pack straps teetering on the edge of my shoulder.  I just bought a used kifaru and am looking forward to using the gun bearer. 

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »
i have the specialty outdoor ultimate slings and love them. .. they are rubber, work very well and come lifetime replacement too...
USN retired
1981-2011

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2021, 03:07:30 PM »

like anything new it takes some experimenting but its a minimal learning curve. As bullblaster stated, I rest my arm on the gun to steady up. It's quite nice  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Tpetie3509

• Tracker
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2021, 04:00:05 PM »
+1 on the gun bearer. I had one, got rid of it, used all the sling types, tried Mystery Ranch's quick draw sling which works great if you plan on standing up straight and keeping your arms at your sides for the entirety of your trip. I ended up back at the gun bearer and haven't looked back. I don't use trekking poles unless hauling meat and at that point the rifle is strapped onto the pack.
If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]