collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 man treestand for use with kid  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
2 man treestand for use with kid
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
Looking at 2 man treestands for deer season with my 6 year old this fall. I'm going to put it up behind my old man's house and can get a side by side right up to the tree so size isn't an issue. There's a really wide range of price and probably quality as well so would love to hear if anyone has a recommendation on a brand or model. He's super excited and can probably call in a coyote or maybe a bear with him up there too. Pretty sure I'll want to get some kind of camo netting for it but should be able to set it up 75ish yards off the trail my normal stand is on which hopefully is far enough to hide all but the biggest wiggles.

Also if anyone has any advice on putting kids in trees with you I'm all ears. It's a short walk from the house and don't plan on sitting more than an hour or so with him. He's super pumped he gets to go so I want to keep it a good experience. Thanks.

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
Re: 2 man treestand for use with kid
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
I have a Muddy 2 person fits 2 230 pound guys and feels pretty sturdy doing it. Make sure to use as many plastic washers as possible and lube as well to reduce noise. Make sure you bring something to occupy him for an hour or 2 (workbooks, games, ipod etc etc), make sure he has his own binos to look thru as well.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »
We will have 2 / two person stands on the property this year for the kids.  One is up and is appears to be very stable and comfortable.  It is the Rivers Edge RE665.  It is a 17' and has a 500 lbs capacity.

I just purchased and actually received in the mail yesterday, the Rivers Edge Lockdown LD202 with a 600lb capacity and has a 21' ladder.  It will be put up next week and I expect it will be every bit as stable as the one we already have. 

Now that both my kids want to hunt deer, we have to have places for them both to sit.....momma doesn't know yet but she will have to suffer with one of them now!!  LOL  Momma bear doesn't like heights so she will get the 17' stand.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

My advise would be the same whether it be a tree stand, ground blind or any other style of hunting.....find a way to keep them occupied while being quiet.  Binoculars for the youngsters are a must so they can explore the wilds with their eyes.  Also, make sure they are comfortable and warm.  A safety harness is a must in my opinion as well, a 17' fall is gonna hurt. 

Happy hunting and I hope your son has a great time. 

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:30 PM »
Yeah he's definitely wearing a safety harness. I don't think mom or grandma would let him out the back door without one. Thanks for the input fellas, I'll have to check those out.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
Here is the 21 foot rivers edge lockdown 2 man in a tree.  It is solid as a rock.  It is a 3 person job to get it hoisted up.  Me, my wife and my 11 y.o. Son got it done but boy was it a little iffy at times. 

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:34:03 PM by jrebel »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 05:15:39 PM »
I got the muddy 2 man, works fine.

Did a couple of mods

1. Wrapped the cheap camo burlap around the shooting bar so it hung down like a shower curtain.  That shields a lot of movement, sewed it on with aluminum electric fence wire.

2. Added a ratchet strap to go around the tree, you can get it a lot tighter and zero wiggle

You can also add an umbrella in case of rain or snow.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »

Did a couple of mods

1. Wrapped the cheap camo burlap around the shooting bar so it hung down like a shower curtain.  That shields a lot of movement, sewed it on with aluminum electric fence wire.

2. Added a ratchet strap to go around the tree, you can get it a lot tighter and zero wiggle

I'm gonna be adding either camo net or burlap as a curtain as well.  I also think I'm gonna stand a couple 8-12 foot branches up next to the ladder just to break up the outline of the ladder.  I will stick one end in the ground and zip tie the other to different parts of the ladder rails to just camouflage a little more. 

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »

Did a couple of mods

I think about the umbrella every time I sit in mine in the rain but I always worry it won't sound natural and will spook the deer. It's also within earshot of the house And barn/shop and we make all sorts of racket whenever I'm over and the deer/bear don't seem to mind but for some reason I'm sure the umbrella would do it.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 06:23:54 PM »
Put it up way in advance

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 08:11:56 PM »
Might want to check out Rivers Edge 2man lockdown stand
https://www.huntriversedge.com/Product/rivers-edge-lockdown-21-ft-2-man-treestand-ld202-12968
There are several others that are less expensive.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:17:57 PM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 08:54:55 PM »

Did a couple of mods

I think about the umbrella every time I sit in mine in the rain but I always worry it won't sound natural and will spook the deer. It's also within earshot of the house And barn/shop and we make all sorts of racket whenever I'm over and the deer/bear don't seem to mind but for some reason I'm sure the umbrella would do it.

An unbrella is also good in fair weather for breaking your outline against the sky!  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 09:04:43 PM »

Did a couple of mods

An unbrella is also good in fair weather for breaking your outline against the sky!  :twocents:

We bought an umbrella and a ton of camp netting to jazz ours up.  We also thought it would be a great way to darken the sky from critters that look up.   So far the animals don’t mind the stand, lots of pics on the cam.
Kind of getting excited to sit in with the kids during hunting season. 

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »

Did a couple of mods

We bought an umbrella and a ton of camp netting to jazz ours up.  We also thought it would be a great way to darken the sky from critters that look up.   So far the animals don’t mind the stand, lots of pics on the cam.
Kind of getting excited to sit in with the kids during hunting season.

You and me.both! I've had the kids practice staying still and quiet. So far our record is about 90 seconds. We are way ahead of schedule lol.

Appreciate all the suggestions, haven't bought anything yet so feel free to keep them coming.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »
So I went with the rivers edge lockdown, love it. The seat is not super comfortable but for using with my boys I'm not up there all day anyway and even if I did use it on a longer sit I'm sure I'd be fine. It's rock solid steady, quietest stand I've ever used,  and I'm really looking forward to using it solo next weekend. Thanks for all the advice gentleman. I've had both my boys in it (6&4) and they're having a great time.

Had a bear come in with my 6 year old on stand with me. No kill but he has told everyone he has seen since about it and can't wait to go back to papas house to go hunting!  The camo net doesn't seem to keep the critters from spooking when they hear squeals of excitement though  :chuckle:

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 08:19:10 PM »
So I went with the rivers edge lockdown, love it. The seat is not super comfortable but for using with my boys I'm not up there all day anyway and even if I did use it on a longer sit I'm sure I'd be fine. It's rock solid steady, quietest stand I've ever used,  and I'm really looking forward to using it solo next weekend. Thanks for all the advice gentleman. I've had both my boys in it (6&4) and they're having a great time.

Had a bear come in with my 6 year old on stand with me. No kill but he has told everyone he has seen since about it and can't wait to go back to papas house to go hunting!  The camo net doesn't seem to keep the critters from spooking when they hear squeals of excitement though  :chuckle:

Super Awesome....your boys will love being up there with dad, especially when the critters wonder by.  We have sat in our stand for 4-5 hours at a time and it works great.  If I was pulling an all day'r....I would pack in a pad for my butt. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]