collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Special Hunt Antlerless Deer - Mashel GMU 654  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Chanes8CWU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Special Hunt Antlerless Deer - Mashel GMU 654
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:37:24 PM »
I accidentally posted this in the elk section, moving this here. I drew an antlerless deer tag in the Mashel unit for archery October 23-30. Looks like it overlaps modern firearm special hunt a few days. I am completely green to hunting and was wondering if anyone had any tips on where to start, etc. Plan on scouting that area heavily.

Was also thinking of getting a guide for a day or two in that area just to get an idea and learn from someone with experience.

Any and all info helps!!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Special Hunt Antlerless Deer - Mashel GMU 654
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 01:52:43 PM »
I had to look that one up...sure as $h!t it's an archery antlerless permit for the Mashel Unit (GMU 654) from Oct. 23-30...right in the middle of modern rifle season (it goes until Oct. 31st). Not sure why WDFW would do such a permit, because you will have to wear hunter orange for it and compete with a ton of rifle hunters looking for a buck. But here are some spots:

Elbe Hills State Forest is all public DNR lands (you will need a Discover Pass) and hike in behind any of the gates you find, and glass the edges of clear cuts, especially right at first and last light.

Copper Creek FS Road is all public land (USFS) but it is washed out a couple of miles up it, but you can park at the washout and hike up the road, which should get you away from most hunters.

On the north side of the Unit is the State Route 165 a dirt road that goes up to Mowich Lake (which is inside the National Park)...just before you get to the park boundary there is some USFS lands, including a 4x4/Jeeping area that has a decent dirt road through it leading up to some high ridges accessable by truck. You can also go along the Carbon River Road and just before the park boundary there is some USFS lands that you can hike into.

Most of this unit is in the Hancock Timber Company private timberlands and if you buy a pass you can access it BUT they DO NOT allow doe harvest, even with a WDFW permit, so it's a waste of money.

good luck...and honestly if you have an archery tag you might just want to hunt the same unit in the late season which starts the day before Thanksgiving and goes until mid-Dec and is Any Deer.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 02:21:39 PM »
I would give wdfw a call on that one. I would t be surprised if there is a mistake there and that should be a rifle permit.  :twocents:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 02:56:10 PM »
2020 looks like it was the same way. Weird

Offline Chanes8CWU

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »
I thought it was odd too it was right smack dab in the middle of rifle season. not sure how i feel about that being a first time bow hunter. think im gonna go camp in there September and locate some of those spots you were talking about. i almost applied for the Hancock permit so good i didnt!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
Instead of camping in there in September...take your bow and go hunting in there in Sept...it's open for any deer archery then. Yes, I think this is a typo that didn't get checked as it should be a modern firearm permit, as it makes no sense with an early and late archery season in that unit for any deer.

Grade

PS. I got your PM and will reply...

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
I don't think this tag is a typo in any way. I think the state understands exactly why they issued the tag. They did it for private land hunters to increase deer harvest opportunity throughout private lands where pressure isn't of issue. Although legal on public lands to hunt with the tag and deal with modern hunters. That is my thought process. Just more opportunity for an archery permit category. 
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »
duckmen1....it's only 10 permits, and the unit has any deer general seasons for archery already with a very liberal season length...AND the permit is NOT allowed to be used on Hancock Timberlands per Hancock's use rules. It makes no sense why WDFW would offer a special permit for archery hunters to ONLY hunt does during a modern firearm season that is any buck...keep in mind, archery tag holders with this permit cannot shoot bucks, as the permit is for does only and bucks are only open for modern firearm/multi-season tag holders...I feel bad for whoever draws this permit thinking it will be a good hunt, as it won't...and keep in mind the bow hunters must wear blaze orange during this permit as well since it overlaps a modern firearm season already in progress.

Grade

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 09:37:19 PM »
I understand Hancock doesn't allow antlerless harvest on there land under any circumstances. I never implied that they did. What I did imply was that there are a lot of hunters that hunt on private owned lands/ not of which owned by timber companies. Yes I understand archery has general antlerless hunts. It was a way to add a permit entry and give an archer another opportunity in the field. If they are private land hunters and want to fill the freezer great. If they are public land hunters and want more time in the field to fill the freezer even if competing with a busy modern season great. Some people just value more time in the field. Are my saying I would apply for that tag no. Do I know the unit well? Yes on public, private, and private timber companies. Even so for me it would not be a tag I burned my points on. This tag was just a tag that was intended to spread more opportunity to spread permit entries apart. It will not have a high success rate and very few tags are given.

I am sure if wdfw was contacted one would see this is not a typo permit. It is what was intended.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal