collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer hunting capitol, green mountain, and tahuya  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Phipps14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Deer hunting capitol, green mountain, and tahuya
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:19:24 PM »
I live in kitsap county and try to hunt locally on public land I have spend the past two season with tag soup one modern firearm the other archery any suggestions on where to hunt this side of the mountains for blacktail on public land and if I should stay with archery or go back to firearm thanks

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: Deer hunting capitol, green mountain, and tahuya
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »
If it were me, I'd choose a modern firearm every time if I wanted to be more successful for Blacktail, especially on public land.  You haven't mentioned how you hunt and if there are deer, and/or deer sign, where you are hunting?  If I had to guess, there are probably deer where you are already hunting. 

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »
There are deer taken out of Tahuya and Green Mt. every year. Most are more successful with the range a bullet offers. That said CERTAINLY an arrow works very well if you have a more isolated area that you can pattern a few deer or even put out some bait as allowed by the game laws. There are a few folks on here who archery hunt locally and do fantastic but they put in the effort all summer and know when and where to be in that early season.

***side note you related to the Phipps that used to live in the Port Orchard area in the 80s and 90s? Believe they moved east in early 90s.

Offline Phipps14

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 06:48:36 PM »
Thanks both for the reply as far as type of hunting for rifle I’ve done spot abs stalk on clear cuts deer sign around for sure just not a lot of bucks I’m thinking firearm this year just need to find where I want to scout and spend most of my summer any suggestions?

Offline Phipps14

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 06:50:20 PM »
Also I have family that are from Washington but not kitsap county as far has Phipps go. And I am new to hunting this being my third year I’m just trying to get my first deer thanks again for any advice

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »
If you are seeing deer but not bucks, they are there.  I would get out now and scout, since deer are much easier to see right now.  The bucks, while they are in velvet,  will be much more visible and not in the thickest cover there is right now.

Once you find a cut that some deer are using, the last week of October, I would find a good vantage point in that cut, that can't be seen from any road and is farthest away from where any other hunter would likely access it, and I would sit, daylight to dark, glassing that cut.  I usually hunt cuts that are 3 to 8 years old.  You want enough cover that the deer feel safe using it during the day but has enough openings that you may catch a part of a deer as they slip through it.

Still hunting blacktails is exhilarating but it is also tough hunting for most folks.  You really have to go slow.  I may still hunt for 5 or 6 hours and only cover 300 yards.  I do still hunt often but it really isn't for everyone.   If you are the type of person that can take two steps,  look, glass for ten minutes and then take two more steps and do it all over again, without ever speeding up or getting bored with that,  still hunting may be for you.

Keep at it, once it all comes together, it will be worth it!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
If your not aware all rayonier land in Kitsap will be pay to play by fall.... DNR, blue gates, your good, old pope, red/ orange gates ...access permit required.

Blacktail in Kitsap are difficult to pattern. Even harder to kill. More deer hang out in residential area's these days ..safer.

Offline Phipps14

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 08:36:28 PM »
Definitely planning on getting out and scouting the most deer I have seen was while hunting capitol forest however green mountain and tahuya had a lot of sign but little deer seen any other forest not too far that are good? Thanks for all the info

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »
Don't overlook Mason County. Still some public there with good bucks. Buy a good book, like blacktail hunting tactic II, and listen to some podcast. If you search "Washington blacktail hunting" there are several good podcasts with great info about northwest blacktail hunting with pro tips. This will be year two for me and I'm feeling pretty good. Got several does local to my area and already have a buck on cams. Good luck.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Phipps14

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »
Mason and Jefferson county are two that I have interest in as well lots of Pope land

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
If you're rifle hunting, and seeing deer, make sure you spend some time out hunting the last week of October. Bucks will be starting to move and looking for girls...

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 07:07:48 AM »
Mason and Jefferson county are two that I have interest in as well lots of Pope land

How many days do you hunt per year?
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline downtownbrown0610

• Tracker
  • Groups: MDF, FLRD
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »

Just an FYI Pope was purchased by Rayonier last year so alot of the area previously open to the public for walk in access only is now only by permit. Some of the areas are free you just need the permit but some is pay to play type access. I do not think a lot of people realize that this happened and hopefully does not put a lot of damper on their hunting season.

Offline Dysfunctional Vet

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »
I’ve gone to Capitol forest for late season archery. Seen lots of bucks in the cuts. But every time I get setup some ding dong will drive from landing to landing and do a little skeet shooting at sunrise. Nothing like led raining down on you to ruin your day. That happened on 3 consecutive hunts, weekday or weekend. Almost like they were trying to scare the deer out of that area. Needless to say I’m looking for a new place.
The VA
   Giving veterans a second chance to die for their country since 1930.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]