collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coastal Roosevelt elk calling  (Read 2310 times)

Offline ASienkiewich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Coastal Roosevelt elk calling
« on: June 18, 2021, 01:35:57 PM »
Looking for some insight from people who have had success calling coastal Roosevelt’s. I am not new to elk hunting but I’ve mostly hunted rifle season. Recently I’ve hunted archery with some buddies and tried to help call, with no success😂 any tips would be helpful.

Drew a quality tag on the coast during September, so hopefully I can learn a little before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Coastal Roosevelt elk calling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:24 PM »
Looking for some insight from people who have had success calling coastal Roosevelt’s. I am not new to elk hunting but I’ve mostly hunted rifle season. Recently I’ve hunted archery with some buddies and tried to help call, with no success😂 any tips would be helpful.

Drew a quality tag on the coast during September, so hopefully I can learn a little before then.

YouTube is your friend, make sure you have the house to yourself. And download the Elknut app on your phone.
Dilligaf

Offline jowings22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 02:04:51 PM »
 :yeah:  Angry Spike, Born and Raised Outdoors, etc. Lots of good content out there

Offline Igottanewknee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »
My experience out there is the elk are very responsive. Good luck!

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 01:07:45 AM »
My experience out there is the elk are very responsive. Good luck!
Thank you for a reply that isn’t obvious! I appreciate it. I was looking for some personal input here not just the regular stuff anyone can find lol. I think I have a good feel for calling, I just hope the elk will be responsive

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 07:53:57 AM »
I think that time of the season is a little late for a lot of the calling.  It's after bow season and after most of the bulls are already with cows.  Seems like the week before archery is when they are screaming and running around the most, then getting chased and quiet down some while the bow hunters are out there.
Seems to be weather/moon dependent.  If it's hot and clear out seems like little activity during the day.  They would probably give a few calls during the night, mostly from the ridgetops.  If it is cool/cloudy/rainy they seem to like to talk more during the day.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
You will need to cover ground and call. Most of the responses I get are within a couple hundred yds of the herd well off the road. Alot of guys will call from the road driving around bugling and hitting the hoochie mamma and it can work every once in a while if you find a fired up bull. Jimmy is spot on, if it's hot you will have to get pretty close to get that herd bull to challenge. They won't move much if at all from the timber/reprod during the day unless they are pushed by hunters or pestered to much from satalites
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
I think that time of the season is a little late for a lot of the calling.  It's after bow season and after most of the bulls are already with cows.  Seems like the week before archery is when they are screaming and running around the most, then getting chased and quiet down some while the bow hunters are out there.
Seems to be weather/moon dependent.  If it's hot and clear out seems like little activity during the day.  They would probably give a few calls during the night, mostly from the ridgetops.  If it is cool/cloudy/rainy they seem to like to talk more during the day.
Thanks jimmy! Just trying to gather information. I am just hoping I can hit the weather right to help me out

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
Weather helps, but rain will also shut things down unless its been raining for awhile  and they have had some time to adjust. If your familiar with the areas that hold elk, try to get within a couple hundred yards undetected  and then start calling. That has worked best for me on rosie bulls on the coast. Like any elk calling the setup is 90 percent of the success equation and the actual calls are 10. Use lots of breaking, and raking, combined with your calls once in that setup and stop often to listen.

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »
Weather helps, but rain will also shut things down unless its been raining for awhile  and they have had some time to adjust. If your familiar with the areas that hold elk, try to get within a couple hundred yards undetected  and then start calling. That has worked best for me on rosie bulls on the coast. Like any elk calling the setup is 90 percent of the success equation and the actual calls are 10. Use lots of breaking, and raking, combined with your calls once in that setup and stop often to listen.
:yeah:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal