collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kenai Chest Holster  (Read 2417 times)

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Kenai Chest Holster
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 07:05:16 PM »
A handgun without a round in the chamber is an expensive hammer.  As someone who has carried for the past 30 years as part of his profession and instructed who-knows-how many shooters, I can say that I have never told someone to carry a handgun with the chamber empty.  Never understood the concept. 

The concept is that statistically speaking you are more likely to have a misfire than draw and fire your gun in a self-defense situation. So there is a valid argument to both sides.

I carry hot in the woods but not around town. The need to quick draw and fire by a civilian is mostly Hollywood lore. The typical self-defense situation involves drawing your gun and yelling a warning. I can draw and rack in a single motion, it really isn't a big deal.

The manual safety is really the better option. Just because Gaston Glock didn't include one doesn't mean that everyone should copy him. The argument of design complexity doesn't make sense. AR-15s have manual safeties and no one worries about them failing.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 08:47:40 PM »
Most glock ad's are from pulling the trigger to release the slide for cleaning.

Offline Shoofly09

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
If you're too scared to carry with a round in the chamber than you shouldn't carry a handgun at all. You're not ready yet. At least not until you're comfortable carrying one in the pipe. I'm sure some on here will disagree with that, but they probably fall in the same category. Whatever you end up doing, do what feels right and comfortable to you. But your goal should be to work toward carrying one in the pipe everytime without hesitation or worry.

Not sure where you came up with the "too scared" theory.   I'm 50 years old, grew up in a hunting family, been around guns since I was a child.  Have owned and carried a handgun for 30+ years.   I chamber a round in specific circumstances, like bow hunting in bear / cougar country, but I don't feel the need to chamber a round driving around town with my kids in the car or riding my ATV on private property.     

I have the time and training with my sidearm to be proficient.   Maybe your goal is to carry one in the pipe without worry, but I am well past that.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 11:02:39 PM »
Most glock ad's are from pulling the trigger to release the slide for cleaning.

We had someone Glock leg at the local walmart.

As with all safety precautions you can argue that it won't happen to you.

It probably won't but there would be fewer Glock legs if people didn't carry hot in low crime rural areas.

Now if I lived in Kent I would carry hot with an extended magazine.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 06:40:16 AM »
A handgun without a round in the chamber is an expensive hammer.  As someone who has carried for the past 30 years as part of his profession and instructed who-knows-how many shooters, I can say that I have never told someone to carry a handgun with the chamber empty.  Never understood the concept. 

The concept is that statistically speaking you are more likely to have a misfire than draw and fire your gun in a self-defense situation. So there is a valid argument to both sides.

I carry hot in the woods but not around town. The need to quick draw and fire by a civilian is mostly Hollywood lore. The typical self-defense situation involves drawing your gun and yelling a warning. I can draw and rack in a single motion, it really isn't a big deal.

The manual safety is really the better option. Just because Gaston Glock didn't include one doesn't mean that everyone should copy him. The argument of design complexity doesn't make sense. AR-15s have manual safeties and no one worries about them failing.

We can always tell the noobs from the old salts in rura Alaska. Old salts rarely carry. After a couple years you realize there isn't a bear behind every tree in most places and they are more interested in berries than you.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 08:08:44 AM »
If I go hunting in Alaska I'll be in bear areas as my #1 bucket list is a diy moose float.  I'll take the G20.

If I'm a tourist in Alaska, just my regular edc will suffice.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 08:15:40 AM »
If I go hunting in Alaska I'll be in bear areas as my #1 bucket list is a diy moose float.  I'll take the G20.

If I'm a tourist in Alaska, just my regular edc will suffice.

Fishing and hunting along rivers is when most "old salts" carry.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »

To each their own.  There is an inherent flaw in the system when you carry "hot" in some cases and "not" in others.  Very few people train enough to be proficient under a surprise extreme stress event to remember which way they are carrying at that particular moment.  Most will revert to the one that they have practiced the most.  Could be not a big deal......could be huge.  If you practice the "not" carry there is a good chance that you will revert to that in the woods and rack a perfectly good (and possibly quite useful) round off into the dirt.  Probably not a big deal though.  But..........if you make your "hot" draw in a life-or-death situation and you are carrying "not" at the time it will be the loudest click you have ever heard.  That could be a REALLY big deal. 

It's pretty simple for me.  Once it's in the holster, it stays in the holster until it needs to go bang.  I don't mess with it, don't handle it, don't have any opportunity for an AD, which is really a misnomer.  They are almost always actually ND's (negligent discharge).  Guns don't shoot themselves.  They don't fire on their own.  They need human input.  Don't give it any until you need to use it and it won't be a problem.  High crime, low crime, no crime....doesn't matter.  I carry the same.  I would be willing to bet that most of the people that have found themselves on the wrong end of violent crime didn't plan on it happening and tweakers live everywhere. 

And one last thing.  With the new laws going into effect in July, everyone would be wise to be prepared.  Criminals will become more and more emboldened as they figure out just how limited the police will be from here on. 
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 09:35:02 PM »
From the Wilderness to Walmart. From the Columbia to Costco. The ol Sig 45 has one in the tube.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 07:16:44 PM »
It's pretty simple for me.  Once it's in the holster, it stays in the holster until it needs to go bang.  I don't mess with it, don't handle it, don't have any opportunity for an AD, which is really a misnomer.  They are almost always actually ND's (negligent discharge). 

There is a personal argument and a statistical argument. You can make that statement to every gun owner and there would still be more accidental discharges from needlessly carrying hot. That is just the way it is. It's not purely an issue of education as seen by the fact that it has happened to police officers.

Safety precautions exist to reduce human error. You can create all the guides you want but human error will remain. Someone will blank and pull their gun from their holster with their finger on the trigger. Probably not you or anyone here but it will happen. It happens enough to where it has a name which is glock leg.

Manual safeties are probably the ideal middle ground.

Offline seastrike

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »
Wife and I both use the Kenai Chest Holster with one chambered.
Love them!
I carry a 1911, wife carries a .44

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
It's pretty simple for me.  Once it's in the holster, it stays in the holster until it needs to go bang.  I don't mess with it, don't handle it, don't have any opportunity for an AD, which is really a misnomer.  They are almost always actually ND's (negligent discharge). 

There is a personal argument and a statistical argument. You can make that statement to every gun owner and there would still be more accidental discharges from needlessly carrying hot. That is just the way it is. It's not purely an issue of education as seen by the fact that it has happened to police officers.

Safety precautions exist to reduce human error. You can create all the guides you want but human error will remain. Someone will blank and pull their gun from their holster with their finger on the trigger. Probably not you or anyone here but it will happen. It happens enough to where it has a name which is glock leg.

Manual safeties are probably the ideal middle ground.

I honestly don't know anyone in any firearm related profession teaching this.    Israeli's do this, but their situation is very unique and doesn't pertain to us. 

can you refer to any pistol teachings or instructors that promote this type of carry?

As a "good guy with a gun"  you're always behind the 8-ball,  you're always reactionary. 

The bad guys (or other threat) are the ones who get to pick time and place, you do not. 

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »
I honestly don't know anyone in any firearm related profession teaching this.    Israeli's do this, but their situation is very unique and doesn't pertain to us. 

can you refer to any pistol teachings or instructors that promote this type of carry?

Instructors are trying to teach rote memory to new gun owners and teach to the average. That means semi-auto with no manual safety. So they teach carry hot to simplify things.

I get the reasoning but that doesn't mean that the status quo makes sense. The Glock design is really the problem. The myth of the manual safety being a mechanical risk is really just a myth. 1911s would have removed them years ago if that were true.

There would be fewer accidents if more people cold carried in low crime areas. That is the reality. I am not advocating that everyone carry cold. I carry hot depending on the situation.

Telling people to "be safer" and follow training clearly isn't enough. We can train people all day and this still happens.

But it is kind of a chicken/egg problem because so many companies copied Glock.

As a "good guy with a gun"  you're always behind the 8-ball,  you're always reactionary. 

The bad guys (or other threat) are the ones who get to pick time and place, you do not.

I am the good guy with a gun and I can draw and rack faster than most people can draw. I carry hot in sketchy areas and the woods but not around town. That choice is based on statistics. If more people did that there would be fewer accidental shootings.

There is a actually a bigger problem in mass shooting scenarios with civilians pulling their guns and not firing. They had plenty of time to rack but couldn't follow through with firing at another person. That happened in Tumwater actually. Same problem happens in war.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:37:22 PM by konradcountry »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2021, 10:16:13 PM »
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, with a good holster and leaving your gun in it during the day, city or woods, its safe, so long as its a good holster serving its intended purpose.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:48:15 PM by KFhunter »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand