collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who trains for woods carry?  (Read 7262 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Who trains for woods carry?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »
There's a guy you just don't prank and startle lol
I’ve had so many encounters with cougar and moose I take zero chances.  Had a cow moose still sporting afterbirth charge me over a dozen times. Thank god she stopped just short every time.  My knees where knocking.  I almost shot her 3 times.  I did not want that and every time I tried to back off I got charged again.   Scary situation. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2021, 07:11:18 PM »
I’ve had so many encounters with cougar and moose I take zero chances.  Had a cow moose still sporting afterbirth charge me over a dozen times. Thank god she stopped just short every time.  My knees where knocking.  I almost shot her 3 times.  I did not want that and every time I tried to back off I got charged again.   Scary situation.

I got buzzed by a hummingbird earlier this afternoon so you could say I know what you’re talking about.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Boy you guys are a might bit jumpy... maybe you should switch to golf... :chuckle:

Kidding...

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2021, 07:20:27 PM »
Boy you guys are a might bit jumpy... maybe you should switch to golf... :chuckle:

Kidding...

I was wondering how many bathroom mirrors have been replaced and holes patched in the walls.

Just asking for a friend 😄😄
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:57:35 PM by Ridgeratt »

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »

I got buzzed by a hummingbird earlier this afternoon so you could say I know what you’re talking about.

Those humming birds are not to be underestimated!   Have dang near knocked me off climbing routes!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »

I empathize with both of you.....

1.   Many years ago, I was charged by a cow moose when I came upon her and her calf.    I kept a tree between us as she came at me a couple times.     Scared does not adequately describe it.
*  Anyone who thinks cow moose charges aren't scary is wrong.

2.  On my honeymoon (39 years ago) we were picnicking in a field of wild flowers in Northern Utah.  We'd seen a bear earlier, which was cool........   until I was attacked by a bear from behind!!!!      I jumped up and tried to fend the bear off while screaming at my wife to run.   I figured 2 days was a pretty short marriage but I was gonna go down swinging while she escaped.    I screamed at my wife to run, and she rolled over laughing....... which didn't really make sense, given the situation.      I had taken a bear claw to the ear, and was taking other damage.    Then the hummingbird flew off. 
*   If you think a hummingbird's hum doesn't sound like a pissed off bear when it's right in your ear, you are wrong. 
*  If you think a Hummingbird tongue can't be mistaken for a bear claw when it's probing your ear for nectar, you are also wrong.
*  If you think your wife of 39 years will let you live it down, you are still wrong.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2021, 08:49:42 PM »
Anyone not afraid of a cow moose is an idiot.  I’ve delt with bulls and cows my whole life.  Been stomped and blasted across the field many times, once almost crushed to death against at railroad tie by a big Charlotte bull.  Cows don’t scare me but moose are a different story.  I’d rather fight a bear.  Chuckle all you want.  You won’t be laughing when it happens to you. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2021, 09:35:30 PM »
Anyone not afraid of a cow moose is an idiot.  I’ve delt with bulls and cows my whole life.  Been stomped and blasted across the field many times, once almost crushed to death against at railroad tie by a big Charlotte bull.  Cows don’t scare me but moose are a different story.  I’d rather fight a bear.  Chuckle all you want.  You won’t be laughing when it happens to you.

20ish years ago in Utah, my dad's boss was wrecked by a moose.   Broken ribs, collapsed lung, other damage.

I want to say 11 days in ICU.

They can wreck you if they want to.

(and in case I came off wrong in my last post, I wasn't mocking you.   I really did think that Hummingbird was a bear for a few moments.)   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »

20ish years ago in Utah, my dad's boss was wrecked by a moose.   Broken ribs, collapsed lung, other damage.

(and in case I came off wrong in my last post, I wasn't mocking you.   I really did think that Hummingbird was a bear for a few moments.)   

I feel like the hummingbird was actually a mosquito in your story.  8)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2021, 10:04:07 PM »

no offense taken.  Just letting folks know a moose is not just a big bluff to laugh at. 

Hummingbird are no laughing matter either.  My brother took one to the helmet riding his motorcycle.  It went through the face shield and came to rest at his ear.  Thankfully it missed his eye

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2021, 09:04:26 AM »
If you are going to set this up what distance would you want for this to be.  Under 30 yards or under 100 yards.

For west side I assume I would be getting into it with a creeper and not a bear or cougar.

I would say that shooting at night one handed is pretty important to know how much your gun flashes. I had to draw once when I didn't have night sights and couldn't see a thing. So definitely night test everything.

Offline Cougartail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »

:yeah: More people in Alaska are harmed by moose than bears by a large margin.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2021, 09:40:17 AM »
If you are going to set this up what distance would you want for this to be.  Under 30 yards or under 100 yards.

For west side I assume I would be getting into it with a creeper and not a bear or cougar.

I would say that shooting at night one handed is pretty important to know how much your gun flashes. I had to draw once when I didn't have night sights and couldn't see a thing. So definitely night test everything.
Good point, I put trijicon night sights on my G20 and a trl-1 hl

That weapon light has been used on a mt lion that was sneaking in, caught its eyeshine on my headlamp, the weapon light lit its world up

I walked forward towards it shining the light on it and it spun and buggered out, running into stuff on the way out which gave me a good chuckle.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »
Find a softball pitching machine, crank it up all the way and stand 20 yards directly in front of it and take some shots.  That will probably get your nerves and shooting tuned up.  It's probably about the size of the brain so if you can reliably hit that before you get hit you should be good to go.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
Find a softball pitching machine, crank it up all the way and stand 20 yards directly in front of it and take some shots.  That will probably get your nerves and shooting tuned up.  It's probably about the size of the brain so if you can reliably hit that before you get hit you should be good to go.

Too consistent of an arc  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw