collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fly fishers chime in please  (Read 2185 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Fly fishers chime in please
« on: June 20, 2021, 01:29:52 PM »
I’ve stepped away from fly fishing for a few years and am now looking to get back into it. Not too familiar with who makes decent reels now. I’m in the market for a new 4 weight reel to put on a 7’ 4 weight small stream rod. It’s likely I’ll only ever use a floating line on it so I’m not too concerned about spare spools at this point. I’d like to have an actual adjustable drag, although I’ll probably never use it, as opposed to a clicker drag. I just like the ability to have it tightened down enough to not have the spool spinning backwards inadvertently. I don’t want a “cheap” reel but I’m not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars. What’s good these days that doesn’t break the bank? I’ve had several Redington reels in the past and they’ve always served me pretty well. I just ordered a Redington Behemoth and a couple spools for my 10’ 6 weight lake rod. 

Thanks!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Fly fishers chime in please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »
I run all Okuma SLVs. From my two-handed steelhead rod down to my small creek rods.

Large arbor, good drag, and about 50 or 60 bucks I think. Really solid reels for the price. I spent 5 months fishing nearly every day when I was in my early 20s. Never had a problem. Still have the same reel on my 5 weight (but admittedly haven’t used it a lot in the last decade).

Offline pbg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »
The thing to think about is unless your fishing for something that will be big enough to actually pull drag the only thing your reel dose is hold your line, so with that being said what is it your really looking for. I couldn't put a 30.00 dollar reel on a 600.00 dollar rod even though thats all you would need, it's just not right Lol. But on a 100.00 rod you bet. Okuma, Reddington and even Sage and Islander all make budget reels depending on your budget. I look for a reel that is smooth, that has a drag and not a clicker even on my 4wt. because they seem smoother to me. I also think that Okuma's SLV are a great bang for the buck reel and if you want a good looking polished aluminum reel the Okuma Helios is a wouderful choice and one that I use alot and you can find them for around 100.00 bucks or less. Lamson make nice reels also the Waterworks are nice. So I would look at alot of reels in a lot of price ranges and make a decission by price, quality, and function and remember just because something costs alot of money dosen't meen it's the best, especially when it come to Fly Fishing you will over pay for a name alot of the time. Good luck

Offline tinsleystyle

• Tracker
  • Groups: BD
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 05:53:01 PM »
hatch or reddington are my 2 favorite 4 weight reels

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:06:30 PM »
Since it will be on a small 4wt rod, my guess is smallish fish are thebl primary quarry. Any of the Redington reels will suffice, as will the Okumqd. They're glorified line holders that have a drag when you may need it. They'll suit you iustbfine. Call me when you want to walk about your next spey rod reel or 10' 8wt single hander for hot summer fish.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 07:21:25 PM »
Since it will be on a small 4wt rod, my guess is smallish fish are thebl primary quarry. Any of the Redington reels will suffice, as will the Okumqd. They're glorified line holders that have a drag when you may need it. They'll suit you iustbfine. Call me when you want to walk about your next spey rod reel or 10' 8wt single hander for hot summer fish.

:chuckle:

I’ve got a 13’ Scott 9wt with an Orvis Battenkill mid arbor. I honestly hate the Spey rod and I’m a total newbie but if you wanna try to change my mind sometime, I’m all ears.

This specific setup I’m talking about will be for chasing thin blue lines on the map in the mountains.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
I’m fishing a $150 rod for the sake of conversation. TFO Finesse glass 7’ 3/4 weight. It behaves better with a 4wt line.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 08:32:15 PM »
I’m fishing a $150 rod for the sake of conversation. TFO Finesse glass 7’ 3/4 weight. It behaves better with a 4wt line.
I have a tfo rod and put a Ross reel on it. But the tfo reel was fine.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 09:16:14 PM »
For a 4 wt rod you aren't going to fish for anything all that heavy.  A reel just holds the line so put on what you want.  The weight of the reel needs to be considered as it will balance the rod in your hands.  You will need about 50 yards of backing as you may hook some fish that will take out more than the fly line.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 09:32:08 PM »

:chuckle:

I’ve got a 13’ Scott 9wt with an Orvis Battenkill mid arbor. I honestly hate the Spey rod and I’m a total newbie but if you wanna try to change my mind sometime, I’m all ears.

This specific setup I’m talking about will be for chasing thin blue lines on the map in the mountains.

The quality of a spey rod is 100% dependent on the line that you're casting. Scott's are either way to fast or way to slow so you really have to line them to the rod, not what it should take. That's my experience anyway.

For chasin thin blue lines, just put a $100 anything on it and call it good man. Save that money for when you really need that drag.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 06:48:18 AM »
tag

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
I ended up ordering a Redington Run 3/4 weight yesterday.

https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/run

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »
Got the reel. Ordered a Bozeman FlyWorks 4weight line. The rod is a 7 1/2’ 4 weight TFO Finesse glass rod. I think she’s ready to roll. There’s even backing on there that I’ll probably never see again until the line wears out.

I’ll also add that for $35 that line is really nice casting. Hopefully it performs on the water. So far I like it, especially for the price.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »
That glass rod might be fun with a double taper line.   I bought my third 4wt rod,  a Redington CT, and threw a double taper on it due to the slower action.   I must say it quickly became my favorite setup.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]