collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Glock talk  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Glock talk
« on: June 20, 2021, 09:58:26 PM »
Was looking at pistols the other day, really liked the G20 in 10mm

Never owned or shot a glock but have heard good things, seems
To be those that love them love them and those that hate them hate
Them, my buddy has a few and I like the fit/feel but again never owned one

Would love to hear the good bad and ugly on these

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Glock talk
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:14:17 PM »
I’ve got 2. I’ve got big hands and the grips work well for me, but a lot of the complaints I’ve heard about them come down to the grips.

Kinda seems to be a Chevy/Ford/dodge debate sometimes.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:59:32 PM »
Jackelope is right on.

I carry a G29 daily. I used to carry a G19.

If I ever get around to making a 1911 or 2011 that weighs about as much as the G29, I’d likely switch to that just because the trigger on a 1911 is vastly superior in feel to a Glock trigger. I won’t put an aftermarket trigger in my carry Glock as an attempt to come close to a 1911 trigger because in my experience, Glock pistols not working are most often due to aftermarket parts.

I look at Glocks like a  standard gun, like an everyday off the rack AR, that shoots and is reliable. Nothing fancy about them from the factory however, there are plenty of after market accessories.

My daily carry.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Type 07 Class 2 NFA Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
https://www.Silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
GLOCK Certified Armourer
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 11:28:37 PM »
I'm not a pistol fanatic, but we shoot monthly when we're in a groove.

I've owned maybe 10 pistols.

By far my favorite is my G20.   

I shoot that thing more accurately than any other pistol I've ever owned, and it literally never jams.

I do think it's a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing, but I love my G20.   

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 11:49:24 PM »
I may be one of the only nay sayers.....and to be 100% honest, I don't really have a solid reason for not liking them.  The triggers are crude as well the fit and finish on the original gen 1 and 2's.  they have fixed some of the fit and finish items by rounding the corners and slimming down the wide blocky feel....but I still just can't bring myself to buy one. 

A lot of people say they are super reliable....but I can say the same for many pistols I own.   I have a Kimber, Ruger SR40c, Walther PPQ M2, revolvers....etc, etc, etc, and all are super reliable.  Matter of fact I can count on 1 hand how many problems feeding, ejecting cases, etc. I have had and likely have a couple fingers left over.  Reality is...most pistols now days are super reliable, even under abused / mistreated conditions.  If you clean and care for them, they are even more reliable.  At the end of the day, I just can't bring myself to own a glock....and I really have no specific reason why.    :dunno:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:38:30 AM by jrebel »

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 05:19:06 AM »
glocks are great, reliable guns. Everything about them is stupid simple and easy. As some have stated, the triggers are probably where other pistols have the edge over a glock. They are kind of like that clunky old 4wd pickup that ALWAYS starts and never gets stuck.....

Online headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
Definitely hold one first if you haven't already.   They are a pretty large frame.   Note that there are Glock 20's, and Glock 20 SF.   The SF stands for small frame.  It definitely helps having the smaller frame. 

Don't overlook the Springfield XDM 10mm, the grip angle is a little different than glock, some people like it better and some people prefer the glock. 

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 07:27:16 AM »
Ive got a 19 and a 20
I use the slide over grips from hogue, best 10 bucks I spent on guns

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/handall-grip-sleeves/sleeve/handall-universal-full-size-grip-sleeve-black
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 07:48:30 AM »
the glock was described to me as the ak-47 of the pistol world. you can beat the hell out of it and it will still function. very basic, nothing fancy but operational. im hard on everything i touch, so they work great for me.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:00:03 AM »
I agree with everything said above.
For me, the grip angle of a Glock is different than most everything I shoot and muscle memory and reflexive skills are very important in a defensive handgun.
I won't own one for that reason.
The appeal is they're dead-stupid simple.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »
I’ve got 2. I’ve got big hands and the grips work well for me, but a lot of the complaints I’ve heard about them come down to the grips.

Kinda seems to be a Chevy/Ford/dodge debate sometimes.

It doesn't really matter but just to clarify, I own 2 Glocks...not 2 G20's.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »
I have been around Glocks for a long time and currently own north of 30 Glocks. I was also a Glock Armor and shoot Glock pistol matches. An I will tell you it is like the OP said a love or hate firearm. The great majority of people that hate them it is completely do to feel. Both sides agree that Glocks are stupid simple and that they work when you need or want them to. If you have handled and shot them and don't have a issue with trigger pinch or the feel of the firearm in general you will like it. The 10mm is a awesome round and the G20 was the first Glock I bought over 30 years ago and still have it to this day.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »
IMO, what you're used to will have a lot to do with how much you like or dislike Glocks as well as probably just about all striker fired pistols.  If you've spent most of your life shooting bolt action guns, revolvers, or hammer fired pistols then there is a good chance just about any striker fired pistol is going to take some getting used to for you and I wouldn't be surprised if you really don't like it the first few trigger pulls but like anything if you shoot it enough you'll eventually get used to it.

I didn't want to get used to that spongy heavy trigger and though some may disagree with my approach I installed an aftermarket trigger in mine and polished things.  For me, it made the difference between selling because I disliked it so much to now I actually enjoy shooting it and in the last year have shot my G17 more than just about any other pistol I have.

As for Glocks overall, based on my experience with the ones I have, they're easy to work on, don't cost a whole lot, and they not only always go bang but they hit what I'm pointing them at.  I'm still not a huge Glock fan but other than the trigger, which is a common issue with most striker fired pistols, they're a good reliable gun.

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 10:57:02 AM »

G20
Proven and time tested 10mm shooter, easy field care, hits targets at realistic pistol ranges better than most shooters can aim a handgun, sufficient power for any threat in the lower 48, no silly thumb safeties or cocked/half-cocked/maybe-cocked training to overcome, off the shelf holsters fit it, when grandpas reloading you’re still shooting, when your buddy is cleaning his dressed up barbie gun after a downpour you toss yours in the truck console and crack a beer.  It looks like a tool for mean business and maybe that’s a deterrent sometimes to lesser humans.   It’s an extremely utilitarian weapon, and my “one gun” gun. 

On the other hand...
It’s like a brick with a trigger strapped to your hip, comes with a trigger you can feel sanding itself down, makes vegan hikers poop themselves (a pro for some I know), costs a lot to feed unless you are just shooting overcased .40 rounds, you might be tempted to shoot it sideways if you are from the 80’s or 90’s(thus negating any inherent accuracy it may have), and you will have to get a whole new set of 10mm friends as your .44 and .357 pals are not going to want you at their dinner parties anymore.  Its been said they are also a gateway drug to tactical bolt actions in small calibers and plastic lever guns with red dots.  I havent gone down that dark path yet though...

If you cant test drive one locally, hop over 20 and pack your own ammo.  I can hook you up with a shooting session at the Winthrop range. 

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 11:09:12 AM »
Carried one for many years. I shot it well and it always went bang and hit what I was aiming at. Luckily enough in 30 years of having to point it at numerous people I never had to kill some one with it. I trusted it with my life, so much so that I bought my duty gun when I retired. Still carry it today.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal