collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bad hatch year?  (Read 7462 times)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Bad hatch year?
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:54:37 PM »
I've seen turkey babies up North by the Aladdin Rd out of Pinkney and that's it this year. Down in my area I think there will be minimal successful hatches. It's so dry this spring, my guineas failed to hatch there large clutch they had been tending to. They just abandoned it all together about two weeks ago. I suspect they picked a new spot but the grass is so thick in spots on my place that I don't know where it is. I seem to have ample growth in my pastures but my ground is sub irrigated. My well has a static level of 9' and the spring is still running out back but the birds seem to be suffering. Anyone else seeing much for chicks anywhere? My silkie chickens have lost seven babies that couldn't get out of the egg due to moisture issues. Saved a few today that I found in time to wrap with wet paper towels until they break free of the membrane. Seven survivors so far out of about 18 eggs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:50:29 AM by LDennis24 »

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Bad hatch year?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:13:56 AM »
Seen some Turkey chicks yesterday.
Did seen them next to a road ,headed to a creek.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:53:13 AM »
I've seen one batch of quail and one batch of turkeys.  Pretty small broods for each.  So far, not that great.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »
Appears pretty normal in my neck of the woods and the turkey hatch are already getting big.  Quite a few babies running around.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
Yeah the turkeys I saw were already as big as a hen pheasant! I was surprised.

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »
The broods that I have been seeing seem less in numbers than years past. Probably has a lot to do with the weather in different areas of the state. It has been very cool up here this year until this week. The Chukar hatches have been 2-4 chicks . Turkeys are looking a little better but were huge last year. Quail seem like smaller numbers as well.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 07:49:04 PM »
Quail broods that I have seen are very large. Have not seen a single pheasant yet.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 07:54:52 PM »
The grouse numbers I'm seeing in the northwestern counties seem about normal. Not huge clutches per se,  but no shortage of chicks

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 08:01:04 PM »
Yeah I may have spoken too soon as I have been traveling from Whitman County up to Colville and Kettle Falls for a job and have been seeing more and more babies. Saw a cow elk get hit by the Pend Oreille river that looked dry. No calf. I always like to assume that every cow and doe gets bred every year but then I also had a few still born lambs this year for reasons I don't know. They were bred late so they lambed about two weeks ago so they should have turned out better but that was not the case. One Finnish ewe had four inside her all different stages of growth for some reason and all came out together, still born, even the full term one. Very odd and I couldn't find any info online about it. This is just an odd year with the dry spring and now this heat coming next week. It's gonna be detrimental to some animals in certain places.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
Drove over 1300 miles last weekend. Saw dozens of pairs of valley quail and one batch of chicks of about 12, it was around Lake Alta. Saw 5 turkey hens with chicks in Chewelah average 7 to 8 chicks each from quail size up to small pheasant size. Not as many quail but talked to a couple folks who say they usually do not see many quail until after the 4th if July. There is still plenty of time. Will just hope they pull it off. That kind of heat cannot be good for much of anything.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
I've been seeing fresh hatches of quail too. Good size clutches of 8-12 or more. Looking better than I thought I guess. I also looked back into my photos and my guineas didn't hatch a clutch last year until June 25th so I think this weather had me thinking it was time to see them already. Im not seeing the Huns and Pheasant babies yet though. I sure enjoy watching the Huns, they are a cool bird.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:25:20 PM by LDennis24 »

Offline sjhgraysage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
My wife rescued a brood of Valley Quail from one of the window wells of our house in Spokane yesterday. They could not have been more than 2 - 3 days out of the egg. There were 12 chicks in the bunch. Both parents waited impatiently near by, if they had not been hanging around the window well the chicks probably would have died in there in the heat we are having.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 09:43:14 AM »
I've seen several sizes of turkey polts, some as large as grouse already. Too early for me to guess if it's a better or worse hatch than usual?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
We had a dozen baby quail and parents running around my place, though I do not think I have seen them since the heat wave we had. I must say, they are much better then baby robins at avoiding my baby bird killing dog.

I like to observe the number of quail and rabbits i see to the number of Red Tailed hawk, Coopers hawk and great horned owls I see. I haven't seen our resident Coopers hawk in awhile and i also haven't seen any great Horned owls in awhile either  :dunno:

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
Second batch of quail hit the ground about two weeks ago. A ton of little fuzz balls running about.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]