collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New elk hunter(archery) - 560, 572, 574, others?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
New elk hunter(archery) - 560, 572, 574, others?
« on: June 26, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
I realize that typing in 560 or Lewis River into the search bar populates a lot of discussions - some are years and years old, and most started with "I'm not looking for your honey holes BUT...".

I've been waffling between doing an archery elk hunt and not doing one. I missed out on out of state tags this year, not due to money concerns but generally I didn't know if I'd have time. We recently had our second child and that comes with some unknowns which are now known... wish I would've bought one but what can you do.

I'm looking to get into some elk on the westside. I've picked a few units based on the ability to take a cow as well as a bull - this would be my first elk hunt so I'm not looking to be picky... just looking for an opportunity, which honestly looking at the harvest stats and amount of hunters(especially in 560) I'm not getting my hopes up in that regard. It would be nice to have one hunt under my belt prior to buying an out of state tag. I guess if it turns out to be okay I'd consider hunting it again, but it's hard to tell what the real story is on the internet. Everyone would have you believe the place sucks, but another guy says its not so bad, then the next guy says there's no elk and only hunters, then the next guy says he didn't see anyone during his week in the woods... you get the picture.

Instead of asking for spots, because that really doesn't do the person asking for them any good unless they know how to hunt elk(see above - I don't), I would instead like to know if there are any places I need to outright avoid(yes I know, the entire GMU, there's no elk, that's your honey hole, etc  :chuckle:). I don't want to end up heading down to scout an area, end up finding some seemingly awesome place, show up to hunt it and it turns out that's where everyone else hunts.

Anything else you wish you knew?

Another reason I selected these GMUs is that it seems like I could potentially get out of some of the thick westside brush(that I honestly don't care much for), and that's one of the reasons I didn't bother looking at some of the OP units.

With that said, if you have a better idea regarding GMU selection I'm all ears. Again, I don't know much outside of the ElkNut app and reading. I'm not against hunting a bull only unit like say 513 but I just feel like(and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm gonna have a better experience in a unit where I could potentially shoot a cow if I came across one... and I'm not holding my breath on that one unless some real beginners luck hits.

Thanks in advance.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
Re: New elk hunter(archery) - 560, 572, 574, others?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »
It really does not matter where you decide to go.
If there are elk in it, it will be crowded.
Pick a unit that you can spend the most time in.
Scouting is probably the most important.
All the maps/internet information are outdated.
They are cutting lots of trees because of the "$hortage" and those beautiful timbered basins might be giant clearcuts...
Those giant clearcuts might be thick brushy draws, or giant bare ground wastelands (sprayed)
Nothing beats boots on the ground.
90% of the animals are harvested by the same 10% of the hunters because they know where the animals are before they park their truck.
First couple days of season, the elk will be following some old cow that has survived 8+ years because she has learned how to avoid hunters.
Knowing those spots that they hide in is "the honey hole" nobody wants to give up because it took them years to figure out..
Every unit has elk.
In my experience, every major drainage has a herd somewhere in it.
It's figuring out where they are that's important.
Scout an area and learn the road system.
Nothing sucks more than finding an empty gate and finding out that it is empty because it goes nowhere, or there is easier access from a different spot and 6 other guys are coming in from the other side after you walked 5 miles to get there.
But, some of those ignored access roads might be good places to go because they don't get the pressure..
Elk are where you find them.
Sometimes they are not in a spot, but when you go back in a few days...
That's why scouting, and choosing a specific unit to learn is important.
1st year, you learn an area.
2 year, you go back to those areas that look promising.
3rd year, you start to figure out patterns.
4th-6th year you have your "honey holes"
7+ you start being consistent in finding/killing them...
And you have now met several other hunters you see every year.
Welcome to the unit!
Now you tell everyone that it sucks, there are not any elk there, etc...
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »
Bull only units might have fewer hunters, because one of the attractions is the ability to harvest a cow, however herd reduction has devastated the populations.
WDFW has spent more time worried about managing hunters than animals that they have forgotten about "resource allocation" and herd management.
The "Any elk" and 3pt-antlerless units are getting wiped out, the best areas are either pay-to-play, or permit only.
$$
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
It really does not matter where you decide to go.
If there are elk in it, it will be crowded.
Pick a unit that you can spend the most time in.
Scouting is probably the most important.
All the maps/internet information are outdated.
They are cutting lots of trees because of the "$hortage" and those beautiful timbered basins might be giant clearcuts...
Those giant clearcuts might be thick brushy draws, or giant bare ground wastelands (sprayed)
Nothing beats boots on the ground.
90% of the animals are harvested by the same 10% of the hunters because they know where the animals are before they park their truck.
First couple days of season, the elk will be following some old cow that has survived 8+ years because she has learned how to avoid hunters.
Knowing those spots that they hide in is "the honey hole" nobody wants to give up because it took them years to figure out..
Every unit has elk.
In my experience, every major drainage has a herd somewhere in it.
It's figuring out where they are that's important.
Scout an area and learn the road system.
Nothing sucks more than finding an empty gate and finding out that it is empty because it goes nowhere, or there is easier access from a different spot and 6 other guys are coming in from the other side after you walked 5 miles to get there.
But, some of those ignored access roads might be good places to go because they don't get the pressure..
Elk are where you find them.
Sometimes they are not in a spot, but when you go back in a few days...
That's why scouting, and choosing a specific unit to learn is important.
1st year, you learn an area.
2 year, you go back to those areas that look promising.
3rd year, you start to figure out patterns.
4th-6th year you have your "honey holes"
7+ you start being consistent in finding/killing them...
And you have now met several other hunters you see every year.
Welcome to the unit!
Now you tell everyone that it sucks, there are not any elk there, etc...

Bull only units might have fewer hunters, because one of the attractions is the ability to harvest a cow, however herd reduction has devastated the populations.
WDFW has spent more time worried about managing hunters than animals that they have forgotten about "resource allocation" and herd management.
The "Any elk" and 3pt-antlerless units are getting wiped out, the best areas are either pay-to-play, or permit only.
$$

Thank you for the insight.

I definitely figured the any elk/3pt-antlerless units would not only be more crowded, but likely more picked over/skittish as well. I was loosely considering buying a Rayonier permit for 506 for that very reason - from my research it seems like there are elk in the area, but would it be worth the $480? I see they have permits for other areas - any input on those at all?

I realize most folks are tight lipped - and for good reason. I've heard a few horror stories from buddies who have taken "friends" to spots, only to find their "friend" and all of his buddies in the same spot next season. I'm not really sure what happened to decency - I'm an adult onset hunter and even that seemed like instinct to me - if you show me where you hunt/I show you where I hunt, unless otherwise specified you don't go back there without me/don't mention it to other people/etc.

Offline Captaintryhard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »
Not much knowledge on the other units but I've spent most my life in the 572. Its becoming tougher each year due to the amount of campers, bear grass/mushroom pickers, bikers, hikers, spalunkers and various other people up there. There is elk but it's popular and as a result the elk are skittish.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 09:07:48 AM »
Not much knowledge on the other units but I've spent most my life in the 572. Its becoming tougher each year due to the amount of campers, bear grass/mushroom pickers, bikers, hikers, spalunkers and various other people up there. There is elk but it's popular and as a result the elk are skittish.

I figure in most of these GMUs the elk will be skittish due to popularity(especially 560). I just didn’t want to end up in a gmu where it’s mostly a wintering area then I’m chasing my tail wondering why I’m not into elk or can’t find them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]