collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SOT fishing kayaks  (Read 1437 times)

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
SOT fishing kayaks
« on: July 04, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
My girlfriend and I are looking at purchasing fishing kayaks. She for the primary purpose of photography, me fishing, maybe some waterfowl hunting.

We’ve paddled around in the short “recreational boats”, but would really like to actually paddle a wider fishing kayak that can be stable enough for standing.

Are there any members here that live on the water that might be willing to let us come by and try yours out for 30 minutes or so?
We’re happy to travel within 100 miles of the Seattle area.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

(And yes, I’ve read most of the previous posts here and been doing a deep dive in Paddling.com as well as NWkayak fishing forum.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: SOT fishing kayaks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
I would get the sit on top style.
  If you get a sit in kayak, don’t try to stand up like I did.  It doesn’t end well.  :bdid:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline simondude

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 01:59:19 PM »
I got a old town topwater pdl that I really like. Plenty stable for standing up and casting.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 02:17:53 PM »
I’ve been thinking about one too. Not ready to spend Hobie money on one. I’m thinking about one of these guys. I’d get the 12T because I’m a big fella. They make a 10’ boat also. I’ve heard good comments on them but haven’t paddled one myself yet.

https://www.ascendkayaks.com/detail.cfm?boatID=5677
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »
I've fished out of my Emotion stealth angler 11 for about 12 or so years now.  I ocean launch and fish the Cowlitz and lakes in it.  I'm not a big guy, 5'8" 175lbs and can stand up and fish very comfortably in mine.  I am going to bite the bullet soon on a Hobie or Old Town pedal soon, but a paddle has served me well for a long time.  There are a lot of choices now, check out weight limits and how you plan on hauling them.  Throwing a 100+ lb kayak on a truck roof or canopy sucks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:07:31 PM by fowl smacker »

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 03:22:13 PM »
Unfortunately I moved out of Issaquah last summer, or would let you try my Hobie out on Lake Sammamish...I live much farther from Seattle now (Bend).  Wife bought me the 14ft Hobie Mirage Pro Angler awhile back for my birthday.  I love it.  Use it for fishing and waterfowl hunting.  Decoy bag fits in the rear cargo area nicely.   

But they are heavy.  So know your strategy in advance on how you're going to haul it.  I used to haul it in my truck bed with a bed extender, but it got complicated after awhile as I also have a truck vault and had a canopy.  I just finished building a custom (reinforced) canopy for my truck to be able to haul it on top.  A trailer is probably easiest way to haul one of the big heavy Hobies....I just didn't want to deal with another trailer.   

But highly recommend the Hobie for stability.  They also make an outrigger attachment for extra stability (two pontoons with a cross bar).  As well as the stand-up rails if doing alot of casting while standing. And they have the hole/mounts for the pole if you wanted to add the sail to it, and use it like a traditional sailing Hobie cat.

When fishing I can actually get enough speed for some low speed trolling with the pedals.  Hobie also sells a battery powered motor that inserts into the pedals area.   Lots of accessories options, including fish/depth finder, etc. for the Hobie.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 04:17:07 PM »
We have 10’ pelican fishing kayaks, and your not standing up in those.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
I would get the sit on top style.
  If you get a sit in kayak, don’t try to stand up like I did.  It doesn’t end well.  :bdid:
Bet that was a sight to see! :chuckle:
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
I’ve been thinking about one too. Not ready to spend Hobie money on one. I’m thinking about one of these guys. I’d get the 12T because I’m a big fella. They make a 10’ boat also. I’ve heard good comments on them but haven’t paddled one myself yet.

https://www.ascendkayaks.com/detail.cfm?boatID=5677
Yes, have looked at these. Good value.
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »
Unfortunately I moved out of Issaquah last summer, or would let you try my Hobie out on Lake Sammamish...I live much farther from Seattle now (Bend).  Wife bought me the 14ft Hobie Mirage Pro Angler awhile back for my birthday.  I love it.  Use it for fishing and waterfowl hunting.  Decoy bag fits in the rear cargo area nicely.   

But they are heavy.  So know your strategy in advance on how you're going to haul it.  I used to haul it in my truck bed with a bed extender, but it got complicated after awhile as I also have a truck vault and had a canopy.  I just finished building a custom (reinforced) canopy for my truck to be able to haul it on top.  A trailer is probably easiest way to haul one of the big heavy Hobies....I just didn't want to deal with another trailer.   

But highly recommend the Hobie for stability.  They also make an outrigger attachment for extra stability (two pontoons with a cross bar).  As well as the stand-up rails if doing alot of casting while standing. And they have the hole/mounts for the pole if you wanted to add the sail to it, and use it like a traditional sailing Hobie cat.

When fishing I can actually get enough speed for some low speed trolling with the pedals.  Hobie also sells a battery powered motor that inserts into the pedals area.   Lots of accessories options, including fish/depth finder, etc. for the Hobie.

Transporting two of them is my biggest concern at this point of my research. Most of the more stable craft are pushing the weight  limits of a roof rack on a Subaru. Could transport via trailer, but then I’m limited to launch points where I can park a trailer...
― Groucho Marx

Offline TomT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
Have a 14’ Jackson Cuda I’ve been considering selling since I fish mostly by boat the last several years.  Live in Ocean Shores, so over your mileage limit.  Check out the online reviews and shoot me amessage if interested

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]