collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Water source question  (Read 13879 times)

Offline Ifinch36

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Water source question
« on: July 07, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »
My group is gonna try a new spot for deer season this year, and I want to see what you guys would do. I've done the high hunts and deep back trips before, but water was never an issue in any places I've gone. The place we're gonna go is steep, and we'd like to get on top and stay on top. The problem is the only water sources I can find are at the bottom, and we're talking loosing 2500-3000 feet of elevation to get there. There are some springs, but my best guess are they are under ground. We won't have a chance to do a scouting trip, so what would you do? I feel like our options are either bring enough water for two days and hope the springs are usable, load up on water, but it'll make for one heck of a hike in, or try to camp mid slope to split the distance to hunting grounds and water source. Thoughts?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
Re: Water source question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »
Sound similar to Stehekin, west end of Lake Chelan.
It would seem the only option is to pack in water. Either before season or when you arrive?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:47:19 AM »
Ya, I don't think we can rely on the springs. We just can't figure out if enduring one big suck(one haul of water and equipment) is better than a couple smaller sucks(a few days water at a time).

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 07:15:29 AM »
It is absolutely miserable not having enough water and you likely won't be able to pack enough in on one trip for much more than a day.  I just plan on making trips out and hope for the best.  Sometimes I have gotten lucky.  What I have done, and what you already know, is that you need to set up a cache.   

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
Yeah, in a long hike in hauling a load I can dust 3 liters without much trouble just getting in there.  I agree it's really hard to take more than maybe 2 days water up there unless all you are going to be doing up there is sitting.

I would probably make 2 trips, when you already have 50-60 pounds of gear it's hard to pack much more water.  Hike up, scout the sources, hunt 1-2 days and then make a trip down.

A scouting trip would be much better but it sounds like no go.

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »
Ok, thanks for the advice. We would love to make a trip over, but we literally don't have a free day to head over there until the hunt. I guess we'll just bring enough water in for a day or two with the initial hike in and go from there. If anybody else has ideas or things that worked for them, we're all ears.

Offline walt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
Hire a sherpa?  Find someone local (or a friend with time to kill) to pack in nothing but water and then hike back out same day?

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »
Where are the animals getting water from?
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
I might have a friend or two I could talk into doing that, not a terrible idea! There's water on both sides of the ridge, it's just losing and gaining the elevation every day would be a killer for us, nothing for the animals.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 06:44:46 AM »
I like to bring "just enough" water to make it through and either hope to stumble into some in the course of my normal hunting day or hike down to resupply if I don't. Realistically what it means for me is I don't drink enough water or do any washing and my rehydrated meals are all a little dry.

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
I like to bring "just enough" water to make it through and either hope to stumble into some in the course of my normal hunting day or hike down to resupply if I don't. Realistically what it means for me is I don't drink enough water or do any washing and my rehydrated meals are all a little dry.

This has always been my approach, but this area is a lot drier environment then we usually hunt. That's really the only reason I'm concerned about the water situation.

Online MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 10:13:01 AM »
If there are animals there is water.  Bring a small shovel.  Try some holes in the crannies and hollows.

Online mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
Been in similar situations before. I wouldn’t count on springs especially with how warm is been this summer so far. Animals will get a lot of their water from vegetation and feed. Since you will be unable to scout a source before I’d plan on having to spend a day or half day getting water if your set on that spot. If you don’t have accessible water or can’t find any you’ll be dropping down to get it or packing out. No water or very limited water is a soul crusher. One way to save water is to ditch meals you need to rehydrate and ditch coffee.

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 11:41:47 AM »
All good ideas. I'm good with not having coffee, but that could be a deal breaker for some people in our group!

Online mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 04:35:23 PM »
All good ideas. I'm good with not having coffee, but that could be a deal breaker for some people in our group!

Zip fizz, nun and things like that are good subs for coffee. I can limit myself to 50ozs~ per day but that sucks especially if you’re hiking a lot or it’s hot. I typically try to plan for 80-90ozs a day when water is at least somewhat easy to get to. Carry extra bladders or bottles and fill them up at every opportunity

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal