collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Old wound ?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Old wound ?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 07:43:34 AM »
Hmmm, could be arrow, would think the hole would be bigger, or more triangular shaped though.  :dunno:

I'm sure it probably was larger, and more triangular, 10 months or so ago.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 01:10:50 AM »
I find it pretty interesting honestly. My icelandic ram even got blow fly maggots in his wound and I had to clean him up. It looked horrible. He is one tough little SOB. The larvae ate away all the tissue that was infected and that created more holes. One set of holes was open over his spine area even. I will find the pics for you guys. I killed the maggot larvae by dripping ivermectin into the wounds then swabbing them out with cotton and q-tips. The smell was unbelievable. He is still alive and going strong today though after weeks of daily doses of penicillin and keeping the wounds covered to prevent eggs from being layed.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 06:27:44 AM »
That wound is in no mans land……right below the spine and just above the lungs.  My guess is an arrow complete pass through or possibly arrow to the spine and broke off.   Could also be a rifle wound….if that’s the case the bullet didn’t perform well at all because even a poor shot from a rifle would have had enough cavitation to destroy the upper lungs and possibly spine. 

Who knows though!!!!!  Could be an infection from a tick???   :dunno: :dunno:
Prob a 6.5 creed.....   :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 06:31:16 AM »
That wound is in no mans land……right below the spine and just above the lungs.  My guess is an arrow complete pass through or possibly arrow to the spine and broke off.   Could also be a rifle wound….if that’s the case the bullet didn’t perform well at all because even a poor shot from a rifle would have had enough cavitation to destroy the upper lungs and possibly spine. 

Now you’ve gone to far!!!     :o  leave the creed…out of this.  Clearly this was a west sided that doesn’t shoot enough and is got lucky to even find an elk from the cab of his truck.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 07:07:04 AM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Fatherof5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 07:49:09 AM »

CWD??? Creedmoor Wasting Disease  :IBCOOL:

Now you’ve gone to far!!!     :o  leave the creed…out of this.  Clearly this was a west sided that doesn’t shoot enough and is got lucky to even find an elk from the cab of his truck.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 07:59:40 AM »
If that was an arrow/broadhead straight through, that would be a long dead elk. There is no void below the spine.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline buggy

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
Sure looks like a wound to me. Here is a possible scenario,

Someone shot it with a rifle. Didn't hit vitals but shockwave paralyzed it temporarily so it dropped in its tracks. Shooter heads over to punch his tag and begin dressing it when it jumps up and takes off never to be seen again......until now.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »
Cougar

Curious what makes ya think that. I would think that a cat would have left scratch and bite marks too. I was thinking either a gun wound, or a stab wound from a bull or branch. She will show up again and maybe get a peek at her other side.

Two years ago I hit a bull  high in about that same spot I'm guessing.  I found my arrow with about 6" broke off the end.  I assumed it hit spine and snapped on impact.  It ate at me for a long time and I sure hope the bull was able to recover.  Hope this cow does as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal