collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tough question  (Read 4188 times)

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Tough question
« on: July 12, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »
I have two labs, old, and their hips are gone. Can't even get in the pool anymore and struggle to come to breakfast. I am wondering if there is a shot I can give them to let them go that I can purchase. Have always given them their shots, Except the ones that have to be  recorded by a vet. They won't make winter and I won't let them suffer. Don't want to shoot them. Would like to find a way to let them down easy. These pups have been with me for years, thought if I was giving them a brushing and a shot at the same time It would be easier. ??

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
Re: Tough question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 03:31:50 PM »
There are several in home services for this exact situation. I'm sorry but I don't know of any off hand but I feel a quick call to your vet might be a great way to get a good rec from someone you trust. Sorry to hear your pups are struggling.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline downtownbrown0610

• Tracker
  • Groups: MDF, FLRD
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
Going through a very similar situation with our dog. Tough thing to watch and it makes it harder when you cant do anything about it. Sorry brother. Best wishes.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »
We had one of the services come in, worth whatever they charged for sure.  They work on your schedule and however you want it done, one shot to calm them and then one for the deed.  You can have whatever final services you want from bury it yourself to cremation.  Super comfortable for the dog and she absolutely hated vets.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 03:51:55 PM »
These dogs have been together their entire lives, one wont live with out the other. They dug under fences to be together and ended  up in my back yard. Going to be a tough time. Hope I can get them some peace without a vet or violence. A Pet and a shot or something in the back yard where they grew up would be great.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 04:38:35 PM »
This thread has come up before. I recall someone suggesting to contact a farm vet? Also my vet came out to the rig when I put my dog down last time. I laid in the back with her...and talked into her ear and pet her until she was gone. Very respectful way to go. Personally I could never shoot my dog to save the money...I guess some feel it is more personable...just not even part of my thought process.
Always hate to hear about someone going through this...best of luck to you.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 04:46:31 PM »
I heard marijuana works miracles. If you or someone you know smokes give them a couple good hits blowing it in there nose.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 06:24:12 PM »
Many vets offer in home option to do this. If you called your primary vet and asked, if they dont offer it I'm sure they could give you a reference.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »
 I’m 60 y/o now. Been through a lot of dogs in my life. Used to shoot the local landfill dogs/pups that were dropped off (abandoned) there for a dollar an ear but now I’m in Bronsons camp as far as our pets. In home vet is the way to go. Very tough to lose them. Wished they lived much longer. Just when they’re getting  doggone good they get too old.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 07:37:27 PM »
 Re-reading your post Gaddy. I totally get what you are asking and wished I could help. Your route is even better than an in home vet.

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
We had to do this a couple of years ago. We had a mobile vet come out. He is my parents horse vet but he came out for our dog (she was a chow mastiff mix so like a horse). He was very good and we all were able to be with here when he gave her a shot. He stayed and pet her with us until she was gone. It was very peaceful. He helped me lower her into her final resting place and even helped me cover her up. It was a very difficult time that he made easier.

Sorry if this is not well written it is a little hard thinking about it still.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
Not sure where you’re located, but had an older gal come out to our house last year in ellensburg to do the two shot setup. She was fantastic. It’s already a stressful time for all involved and she was phenomenal about giving us time and space but also being realistic with the whole process. That was the first time I had been in that position and the overall experience was a lot better than I had thought it would be. He was comfy, in our yard, with us all around him. The best scenario for such an awful situation. All of that said, I would recommend calling someone and having them come to the house for it. Make the whole thing as easy and comfortable for the dogs as possible. Sorry to hear you have to go through this

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 07:15:04 PM »
We had to do this a couple of years ago. We had a mobile vet come out. He is my parents horse vet but he came out for our dog (she was a chow mastiff mix so like a horse). He was very good and we all were able to be with here when he gave her a shot. He stayed and pet her with us until she was gone. It was very peaceful. He helped me lower her into her final resting place and even helped me cover her up. It was a very difficult time that he made easier.

Sorry if this is not well written it is a little hard thinking about it still.
:yeah:  please, do this.  Anyone who loves their fur babies feels your pain. We went to the vets place when we had our girl put down.  She loved beer, so me and her sat out in the front yard and had a beer together before we took her in.  So f n sad, pet her till she passed in the car. Buried her at home. It’s hard man, but no need for bullets, the shot is peaceful.  Sorry for your loss
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 11:03:57 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. Much appreciated. Lost my boy on Friday. Was in the back yard when he puked up his breakfast, he then laid down and was struggling to breath. I let the wife know what was going on and went and sat with him. I believe he knew it was time, I told him it was OK and after a bit he managed to get up, went to his favorite spot in the shade, laid down and was gone. Thankfully, it went pretty quickly.
I will definitely be checking on a mobile vet for my gal when I think it's time. She seems a bit lonely and is wanting more attention but is doing OK. She was in the yard and close by when it happened.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]