collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hammer Bullets....Anyone have experience with them on game? Updated 8/24  (Read 3579 times)

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Loading some 124 grain hammer hunters in a 6.5 creedmoor and wondering if anyone has any experience with hammer bullets on game animals?  They appear to be shooting very well and I suspect when load development is complete they will be sub half MOA.  Now I'm just curious how they will work on game animals. 

Thanks in advance.   :tup:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:28:42 PM by jrebel »

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hammer Bullets....Anyone have experience with them on game?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 05:56:38 PM »
Loading some 124 grain hammer hunters in a 6.5 creedmoor and wondering if anyone has any experience with hammer bullets on game animals?  They appear to be shooting very well and I suspect when load development is complete they will be sub half MOA.  Now I'm just curious how they will work on game animals. 

Thanks in advance.   :tup:

Yorke is the man for this.

Maybe a PM.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »
My experience is with 196gr and 181gr.  They perform exactly how they say, shred the petals and the body keeps going and punches out the offside.  I've killed 3 deer and a bear, all pass throughs. Farthest runner was roughly 12 feet from impact. And all mine have had very minimal meat damage.  Way less than I had with accubonds and ssts.  I have zero desire to leave hammers, they work, they are fast and very easily to load and play with. 
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »
My experience is with 196gr and 181gr.  They perform exactly how they say, shred the petals and the body keeps going and punches out the offside.  I've killed 3 deer and a bear, all pass throughs. Farthest runner was roughly 12 feet from impact. And all mine have had very minimal meat damage.  Way less than I had with accubonds and ssts.  I have zero desire to leave hammers, they work, they are fast and very easily to load and play with.

This is super good information, Hoping the liter bullet performs equally as well.  Would you hammer a shoulder or steer away from bone? 

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
I avoided it knowing the petals would shred, I punched in right behind the shoulder, petals took out everything in the cavity and the bullet went right out the offside.  The bear did hit the offside shoulder which blew the bone apart and still passed through.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline jakeweb

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »
I would recommend the 123 absolute though over the 124 hunter. Move velocity less pressure. They like a faster powder though. I have a custom 6.5 creed that I couldn’t get to shoot Berger’s and threw some 123 absolute hammers in it and can’t shoot more then 1/2”. Varget is the powder with them.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »
I would recommend the 123 absolute though over the 124 hunter. Move velocity less pressure. They like a faster powder though. I have a custom 6.5 creed that I couldn’t get to shoot Berger’s and threw some 123 absolute hammers in it and can’t shoot more then 1/2”. Varget is the powder with them.

I'm pushing the 124 Hammer Hunters with H4350.  The two nodes I'm playing with are 1 grain apart and the difference in velocities is incredible.  The lower node is 2770 and the upper node is 2885.  Either will work for the ranges my daughter will be shooting.  She is shooting a Savage Ultralite topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22.  She is a little spoiled.   :chuckle:

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 07:23:09 PM »

I'm pushing the 124 Hammer Hunters with H4350.  The two nodes I'm playing with are 1 grain apart and the difference in velocities is incredible.  The lower node is 2770 and the upper node is 2885.  Either will work for the ranges my daughter will be shooting.  She is shooting a Savage Ultralite topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22.  She is a little spoiled.   :chuckle:

A little?

Geez want to adopt a 28 year old son? I come with grandbabies

😂😂

Btw I've shot the 214gr 30cal hammer bullets out of my win mag and they shot lights out without much fiddling with loads

I'd shoot them at game

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 07:49:03 PM »
I'm excited that Hammer is doing pistol bullets now.  They have the 9mm in stock....just waiting on the 357 cals for my 357 Magnum.  They're working on that design now.  I've loaded the rifle bullets in 4 calibers of rifle and love them.   

Offline Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 08:03:11 PM »
I'm currently set up with the 127gr Barnes lrx out of my 26 nosler. However Hammer does have a 97gr absolute bullet they recommend for big game and claim 3500fps from a Creed more. I'm tempted to see how fast they'll load in the 26N
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 07:25:43 PM »
Load development is complete....here are the stats

Savage Ultralite 6.5 creedmoor topped with a nightforce NSX 5.5-22
124 gain hammer hunters
42.2 grains of H4350
Starline large rifle primer brass
Federal 210 primers
.01 off the lands / jam....though I didn't notice a huge difference with seating depth.  POI changed the further back I got so I chose to keep it close.  It would probably like being jammed into the lands. 

Chrono'd at 2850 fps
Groups are consistently sub 1/2 if I do my job.  I qualify this because this is my daughters rifle and we have a high comb on it and I have a hard time with how high the comb is. 
ES is 10-12 though I have been shooting in very hot weather and my barrel is not cooling like I would like.  I imagine this could get better when tested in the fall. 

Son shot it 3 times for today for the first time and range steel all three times at 450 yards.  Now for my daughter to whack her first bear with it and I will report back with bullet performance. 

:tup: :tup:

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 06:46:20 AM »
Curious What is Hammers recommended minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion?
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 08:12:29 AM »
Curious What is Hammers recommended minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion?

I have watched a few videos where hammers bullets were tested with gel blocks.  It appears the consensus I’d 1600 FPS for reliable expansion without tumbling.  That is perfectly acceptable to me being that makes this a 700 yard rifle and we won’t hunt past 500…..in most cases past 300.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
Thanks. Looking forward to the field report soon!   :tup:
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline str8meat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »
Just ordered the 180 hunters. Trying them in my 30-378 weatherby. Anyone here have references for this combination? Seems I struggle getting 200’s to shoot but the gun likes 180’s.
watch yer top knot

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal