collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a bear taxidermist near Olympia?  (Read 6225 times)

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
Re: Anyone recommend a bear taxidermist near Olympia?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 05:27:40 PM »
Mike White, Nature's Way.  I've never had any work done by him, but I've seen his work, and it's really good. :tup:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 06:17:21 PM »

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 06:05:40 PM »
Start saving now!  Be prepared for sticker shock, these taxi’s on the wet side are expensive as heck!  Might be worth traveling to Idaho, the guy in Hayden is great and much cheaper! Don’t get extorted over here! Wildlife Creations, in Hayden Id
Sorry, had to reply to this.....I would be careful in the wording and assumptions you're using here trophyhunt, especially in today's market of inflation. I myself, before being a taxidermist, can remember a decent black bear rug going for around $500-$600. However, with the price of everything going up, a taxidermist's tannery bill alone would be about half of that. I am not going to speak for the other taxidermists on this forum, but more on the side of taxidermy in general. What I will say on behalf of other taxidermists though is the fact is there are a fair number of them that DO NOT do rugs simply because you make very little on them by the time you have our labor, costs for tanning, forms, eyes, rugging (if you dont do it it in-house), shipping to the tannery and rugger, as well as the finer costs and labor of the finish work.
I will admit there are some taxidermists that are more expensive than others, however most of very accomplished craftsman, and your paying for that expertise. But I can also tell you that you will never get rich doing taxidermy.
Your completely right in the advice to shop around though. Do you research when selecting one as everything from the quality of work to timelines, prices, tanning process, and quality of leather all matters. Details such as the company of glass for the eyes, forms used (there are at least 3 different form types for Black Bears), how the rugging is attached and how it is gathered, spread of the paws.....all this differs from one artist to the other. The more detailed the work typically the more expensive it is due to quality of materials. Furthermore, the better quality of the work, the longer lasting that trophy and memory will be. This is not to say in inexpensive mount will not last....but 90% of the time corners were cut to make it inexpensive.

Your right trophyhunt....be prepared for sticker shock...as its not 1990 anymore. However to imply that its due to extortion is a little misgiving and frankly a little rude to the taxidermists. Anytime you would love to stop by I can show you and explain the process/labor for a bear rug along with the reciepts of the materials used before seeing the finished product and then you can decided if its too much.....seriously...I'm not trying to be a smart-a**.....I love to help other sportsman understand the process. 
Joel- BRT
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 06:16:10 PM by BlackRiverTaxidermy »
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 07:41:35 PM »
Appreciate your insight on this Joel, I know the time and work it takes to break down a rug just for even a hair on tan. It’s not easy or quick, and I’m sure the tanneries have increased prices.  My gripe is in 2015 my hair on tan was around 350.00, the estimated price from my taxi (gone to for years) in 2019 for my bear was around 1,300.  I asked a taxi (who is on here) how much to only de-flesh and take out the 4 paws. (My taxi buddy already skinned the head out.) and this guy wanted 8 or 900 just to do that!! I would salt and dry, and send it in to the tannery myself.  That is extortion, but in this day and age I get it. He probably has so much work, he can ask STUPID amounts and prob gets it, just too many customers now. Heck, I bet you turn people away, lots of taxis I know aren’t taking new clients.  I do appreciate the time, effort and craftsmanship, it’s an art for sure.  But more and more business’s just don’t care anymore, too many customers to give a crap or set reasonable prices. Just my 2cents
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:51:35 PM by trophyhunt »
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »
Wildlife creations in Hayden Id did my hair on tan for $400, and shipped it to me. That included fleshing, taking the feet out and tannery.  Very reasonable.  My complete bear rug in 2017, big bear, cost me 1,300 from a very reputable taxi that I really like, great guy. But nowadays, those rugs cost double !!  It may not be extortion, bad choice of words, but it’s unrealistic.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »
had a hard time hearing the word no it sounds like

Offline NWghostgetter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »
Another vote for Joel at Black River. But I think I heard he’s swamped but worth a shot, he does great work. I’m not a good enough hunter to have been able to bring him anything but some buddies are and their stuff looks amazing!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Leupold vs vortex by Goshawk
[Today at 10:00:49 AM]

And yet another thermal vs night vision by Goshawk
[Today at 09:51:03 AM]

Color of cougar eyes when spot lighted by Big6bull
[Today at 09:38:54 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 09:29:35 AM]

Eastern WA guide recommendations by ducks4days
[Today at 09:24:13 AM]