collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Area 9  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Huntin4Ever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Area 9
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:53 PM »

Skillet and I have talked about this a bit. I don’t think my times catching fishing going fast are a one off, especially when I’m not fishing cp herring in the dirt somewhere.

Also, I know salmon will hit fast trolled gear because I’ve caught salmon while trolling for tuna. Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I think you're spot-on.

Especially when fishing coho in a big biomass, I'll skip the flashers entirely and run straight spoons at 3.2-3.4 knots.  Usually #4 Manistee's in some ungodly bright color combo.  I'll also run a hootchie without a flasher on a 1.5 fa leader.  They'll smash it when there are other fish biting the spoons above and below. Spoons fish better faster, and the faster I go the more likely the fish stays pinned while I'm waiting to get to it.  This is the combo for my 200+ coho days, almost every time. 

I don't fish herring unless it's early king season, I'd go broke with the pinks and coho around  :chuckle: Even then I don't fish cut plug, I'll put a 2-day salted whole Red Label herring in an anchovy helmet and run a 6/0 single hook with it.  It fishes longer than a cut plug for me, and the catch rates aren't bad.  I've tried trebles, but I don't like them.  You can see they need to be run with a longer loop to hook the tail, so they tend to tear the bait up a bit faster.  Also, I just think I don't get nearly as consistent of a hookup with a treble as I do with a big single.

* I guess I can't post more than one pic, so this is the one I'll show.  It's the bait rig I use the most in the winter and spring.

Skillet, Im a diehard moocher, but with the red label, they do tear out easily. Never have salted my bait, is there a specific salt to use and can you refreeze them?

Thanks

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2021, 09:42:28 PM »
This is the first year I've owned a boat. My sons and I have been learning the ropes fishing for salmon and having a blast doing it. My youngest (15) is a die-hard fisherman who studies and practices like crazy, so he's learning a lot these days.

We went up to area 9 on Saturday and did a little trolling with about 200+ other boats. About an hour or so in, the rod jumped off the downrigger. My youngest sprung into action, grabbed the rod and began the fight. We knew it would be a Chinook, as it ran and shook his head hard. He was stoked when netted to find it was hatchery and well over 22"

Grins all around!

Creel reports showing over 100 chinook caught in area 9 on Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:48:09 PM by silverdalesauer »
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2021, 06:33:27 AM »

Skillet and I have talked about this a bit. I don’t think my times catching fishing going fast are a one off, especially when I’m not fishing cp herring in the dirt somewhere.

Also, I know salmon will hit fast trolled gear because I’ve caught salmon while trolling for tuna. Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I think you're spot-on.

Especially when fishing coho in a big biomass, I'll skip the flashers entirely and run straight spoons at 3.2-3.4 knots.  Usually #4 Manistee's in some ungodly bright color combo.  I'll also run a hootchie without a flasher on a 1.5 fa leader.  They'll smash it when there are other fish biting the spoons above and below. Spoons fish better faster, and the faster I go the more likely the fish stays pinned while I'm waiting to get to it.  This is the combo for my 200+ coho days, almost every time. 

I don't fish herring unless it's early king season, I'd go broke with the pinks and coho around  :chuckle: Even then I don't fish cut plug, I'll put a 2-day salted whole Red Label herring in an anchovy helmet and run a 6/0 single hook with it.  It fishes longer than a cut plug for me, and the catch rates aren't bad.  I've tried trebles, but I don't like them.  You can see they need to be run with a longer loop to hook the tail, so they tend to tear the bait up a bit faster.  Also, I just think I don't get nearly as consistent of a hookup with a treble as I do with a big single.

* I guess I can't post more than one pic, so this is the one I'll show.  It's the bait rig I use the most in the winter and spring.

Skillet, Im a diehard moocher, but with the red label, they do tear out easily. Never have salted my bait, is there a specific salt to use and can you refreeze them?

Thanks

Not speaking for Skillet here, but I've mooched a few herring. The best salt to use is rock or canning salt. If you mix a brine, mix just enough salt in the water that it doesn't mix in anymore. Ideally you would be able to use salt water to do this, not tap water. If you leave it in too long, they're bellies will shrink in and they won't spin well, so keep an eye on them. I've found an 1-2 hours is about right. You can also just open your tray of herring and dump salt straight on them. I've actually had quite good success doing this.

You cannot refreeze them with any amount of success that I've found, especially if put in a brine. They just turn to mush. Brine up what you intend to use that day.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
Report from sunday - took my toddlers for a quick mid day crab/fish around pilot point for the tide change from 11:30 to 1pm.  Made 2 passes at 120 and 100 feet and didn't mark any bait or fish.  About 20 moochers sitting out of point no point.  Maybe 3 or 4 trolling around with us.

About 125 boats on east possession bar, 50 or so on the west.  Did not want to deal with those crowds with 2 kids on board. 

Word from Edmonds marina - west bar possession has been really good in the 200 foot range, 300 feet out on the downrigger.  With that much out you'd want to run something without the flashers they said too.  Tomic plugs

Got some monster crab, kids did great, and was a fun day out on the water.  Looking forward to hopefully a good pink year to get them reeling some fish in.

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2021, 07:49:58 AM »
@Skillet
thanks sharing and the info.. 

WSU, Stein and the rest much appreciated as well.  I'm still in the asking for advice stage but will share when the day comes I can contribute..  I promise.. 

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2021, 07:52:29 AM »
Trebles can be killer where legal. I use them as a trailer just last the tail. Make sure you aren’t releasing fish though. A treble in the throat isn’t very fish friendly.  I wonder how they’d compare to those big singles?

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2021, 08:33:00 AM »
Skillet has some interesting points to think about regarding speed and leader.  He's fishing 100 # leader.  Lost of sport guys fish 20 or 30 or 40?  I tie mine with 50 or 60, and that's probably heavier than most.  Between going faster and heavier leader, he is imparting a lot more movement on his gear than the typical sport fisher.  Something to think about. 

The other problem sport fishers run into is the small downrigger balls.  Even a 15# ball gets blown way back if you troll 3 mph with any depth at all.  I don't think its the speed that is the limiter for sporties.  It's the gear we fish with.

Online Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
This is the first year I've owned a boat. My sons and I have been learning the ropes fishing for salmon and having a blast doing it. My youngest (15) is a die-hard fisherman who studies and practices like crazy, so he's learning a lot these days.

We went up to area 9 on Saturday and did a little trolling with about 200+ other boats. About an hour or so in, the rod jumped off the downrigger. My youngest sprung into action, grabbed the rod and began the fight. We knew it would be a Chinook, as it ran and shook his head hard. He was stoked when netted to find it was hatchery and well over 22"

Grins all around!

:tup: Nice work!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline junixjuny639

• Pilgrim
    • Jhuhn fernandez
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »
Hello guys,

Where can I find All these areas for fishing here in puget sound, Thurston, Pierce, King, Puyallup river? I mean, they are numbered, and I have no idea where these areas are located except #9 in the Nisqually River.

Junix

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2021, 05:50:11 PM »
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Online MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »

Grins all around!

He’s hooked now
Great fish
Congrats to your son
I Ain't Captain Walker.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »

Grins all around!

Nice fish!  We were up at MCB on Saturday with about 300 of our closest friends.  It was the most boats I've seen at MCB in 20 years.  We caught 2 stinkin' Dogfish in 5 hours of fishing.  LOL.  We saw about a dozen salmon caught in the time we were at MCB.  Just not one of the lucky boats on Saturday for us. :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2021, 10:53:06 AM »
Creel reports are really dropping off, hot opener but quickly reverting to more typical catch rates.  Sunday was .13 fish per rod out of Everett.

Online MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
 :yeah:
That’s why I just said the heck with it
Sold my boat
I’m done
I’ll do silvers from the beach and a charter out at Westport got sick of my boat sitting 10 months out of the year
And then get the crumbs left over from long liners
Fished 5 days in a row area 9
No keepers unless I wanted pinks
I don’t
One decent chinook on the opener
About 10-12 lbs with fin still attached
Not worth it anymore for me
Good luck folks

I Ain't Captain Walker.

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »
Creel reports are really dropping off, hot opener but quickly reverting to more typical catch rates.  Sunday was .13 fish per rod out of Everett.

I think thats because all the blackmouth that havent seen gear in 11 months (due to no winter fishery) were seeing the buffet table of fishing gear.  Now that a lot of easy BM have been caught, there just arent a lot of fish around.
 Consensus seems to be that most of the fish impacting the quota arent even ocean fish, with a few exceptions.  Everyone is keeping blackmouth.  By the time the ocean fish are in 9 it will be shut down.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]