collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW proposing to Ban Baiting  (Read 14512 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: WDFW proposing to Ban Baiting
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 02:56:29 AM »
I guess I can always go to parents when they feed there livestock .If I want to hunt that way.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2021, 03:11:01 AM »
Never baited for deer or elk,but I still feel it's just another tool to slowly try to end hunting period. Vote these *censored*s out and get involved in your children's education and what's being rammed down their throats.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2021, 05:51:19 AM »
Just another small chip in the rights of people. One small chip at a time until nothing left to chip away
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2021, 06:19:13 AM »
I wanted to add some insight into this.

There are hundreds of WDFW management plans which each have dozens of recommendations of which very few are actually implemented.

Is WDFW currently enacting a rule to ban baiting? NO
Is there a current proposal to ban baiting in front of the Commission? NO

What we have here is simply a draft management plan with recommendations. When you read the document numerous times you see "the Department recommends" that simply means the three individuals (Mansfield, DeVivo, and Hansen) who wrote the report. The report basically adopted the recommendations that the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies put out for reducing CWD.

Personally, I'd keep it on my radar but I wouldn't get all worked up thinking a baiting ban is in the imminent future  :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:59:34 AM by bigtex »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2021, 06:27:15 AM »
 :tup: I think more is being read into this than there is
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »
Herds are collapsing, ending baiting helps keep a few more deer for predators

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
I wanted to add some insight into this.

There are hundreds of WDFW management plans which each have dozens of recommendations of which very few are actually implemented.

Is WDFW currently enacting a rule to ban baiting? NO
Is there a current proposal to ban baiting in front of the Commission? NO

What we have here is simply a draft management plan with recommendations. When you read the document numerous times you see "the Department recommends" that simply means the three individuals (Mansfield, DeVivo, and Hansen) who wrote the report. The report basically adopted the recommendations that the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies put out for reducing CWD.

Personally, I'd keep it on my radar but I wouldn't get all worked up thinking a baiting ban is in the imminent future  :twocents:
Folks - Don't get complacent. While Bigtex is technically correct, I'd strongly advise we not find ourselves playing checkers when the opponents are playing chess.  This is exactly how bureaucrats pull this stuff off.  It was a hard fight 4 or 5 years ago when baiting was before the Commission.  If this CWD plan gets approved it will make it extremely easy for the Commission to ban baiting.  "We are just following the science" will be the mantra and with the current Commission make up it will likely be a unanimous vote.

Lacking any credible evidence that small quantities of bait in dispersed areas increases CWD disease transmission...there should be NO recommendation from the Department to ban baiting...especially if they are not recommending immediate changes to the myriad of other actions that have a far greater effect in concentrating deer.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2021, 08:54:02 AM »
100%

I'll be doing my part and firing off a letter.   Ending baiting will hurt archery the most. 

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »
Wow.. like anyone trusts that dumpster fire of a department! Just wow! What they have done to this states herds and salmon and steelhead is robbery. I put nothing past them.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »
Herds are collapsing, ending baiting helps keep a few more deer for predators

The mule deer herd that I have fed for 14 years has really taken a hit since Feb. Seven of the dominant breeding does have all gone missing ( two of them were over 14 years old ). they would all have twins every year....one quarter of the fawns would survive. I also had 5 yearling spike bucks that all but one has gone missing. Neighbor has a pic of the collared cougar that jrebel has on his cam from 3 miles away. Also 4 other individual cats. They are wiping out the local mulies. Sickening. Started 14 years ago with 34 deer and today have about 12. That is not counting the whitetail.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 05:04:08 PM »
Cwd is literally 2 countys away. 70 miles as the crow flys. It probably just a matter of time before its here. Banning baiting would  slow it  down. i never had a problem harvesting a whitetail on public land without bait and i am not young. From what i read it really spreads were deer are concentrated together. I personally dont relish the idea of eating a cwd deer.

That’s a discouraging statement to hear from another hunter. I don’t do it so screw the other guys ? It’s already been stated that this will have NO effect on cwd deer and elk congregate in way larger numbers for many things beyond a bucket of apples. This was the attitude people probably had with bear baiting and hounds. I’m sure there were “superior” bear hunters who didn’t need bait or dogs back then too.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »
can't use bait in Idaho or Montana, why didn't it work there but would work in Washington?

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 05:23:02 PM »
I am not sure whether or not they still do this, but wouldn’t this also apply to their elk feeding stations? Or is it a classic one way street. Just like politics, it’s okay for one party to get away with something that the other gets blasted for …. I’m tired of today’s dramas.

Just like covid they use mandates to push agendas. I still call for mass exodus and stop hunting/fishing for a year. Only way we stand a chance anymore, since public stoning is apparently frowned upon in today’s society.

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
Done

"To Whom It May Concern,

Suggesting a preemptive ban on baiting for deer and elk, when there is no CWD in WA (or ID for that matter), is ridiculous. You’ve already limited the amount of bait allowed. We stood by and accepted it. Now, you want to ban it completely and for no justifiable reason? Your proposal would further reduce the ability of hunters in this state to fill their tags and feed their families. How about instead of yearly changes to the rules and seasons which negatively affect the people who pay your bills, you give us a break. Hunting in our state should not be as restricted as it already is. Do you want to encourage fewer and fewer people to take up hunting here? Because that’s what you’ve been doing. Stop the trend to discourage our state’s hunters and start with this idiotic proposal

Pianoman
Master Hunter
Hunter Education Instructor
Conservationist and Ethical Hunter
License Holder for 26 Years

Thanks Piano  Copy and pasted added my name and address for realism[/size]

Offline ducks4days

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »
Cwd is literally 2 countys away. 70 miles as the crow flys. It probably just a matter of time before its here. Banning baiting would  slow it  down. i never had a problem harvesting a whitetail on public land without bait and i am not young. From what i read it really spreads were deer are concentrated together. I personally dont relish the idea of eating a cwd deer.

That’s a discouraging statement to hear from another hunter. I don’t do it so screw the other guys ? It’s already been stated that this will have NO effect on cwd deer and elk congregate in way larger numbers for many things beyond a bucket of apples. This was the attitude people probably had with bear baiting and hounds. I’m sure there were “superior” bear hunters who didn’t need bait or dogs back then too.

I dont personally bait, and I dont hold the same respect for people who hunt over bait as I do for people who go pay more in sweat equity for their kills. That said, a ban on any existing hunting technique is a ban on all hunting techniques, and I sure as hell dont support it. Keep in mind that the strategy we are fighting against is the "death by a thousand cuts" play. We need to be vigilant and support all ethical forms of our hunting heritage, irrelevant of whether or not we hunt that specific game or in that specific way.
What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]