collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW proposing to Ban Baiting  (Read 14504 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: WDFW proposing to Ban Baiting
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2021, 09:34:43 AM »
Cwd is literally 2 countys away. 70 miles as the crow flys. It probably just a matter of time before its here. Banning baiting would  slow it  down. i never had a problem harvesting a whitetail on public land without bait and i am not young. From what i read it really spreads were deer are concentrated together. I personally dont relish the idea of eating a cwd deer.

That’s a discouraging statement to hear from another hunter. I don’t do it so screw the other guys ? It’s already been stated that this will have NO effect on cwd deer and elk congregate in way larger numbers for many things beyond a bucket of apples. This was the attitude people probably had with bear baiting and hounds. I’m sure there were “superior” bear hunters who didn’t need bait or dogs back then too.

I dont personally bait, and I dont hold the same respect for people who hunt over bait as I do for people who go pay more in sweat equity for their kills. That said, a ban on any existing hunting technique is a ban on all hunting techniques, and I sure as hell dont support it. Keep in mind that the strategy we are fighting against is the "death by a thousand cuts" play. We need to be vigilant and support all ethical forms of our hunting heritage, irrelevant of whether or not we hunt that specific game or in that specific way.

Let me enlighten you -

Maintaining a bait site properly requires a serious amount of work and dedication. The enormous amount of feed you bring in with you to then navigate off road off trail is overwhelming for most.

Setting up and changing your stand (if you have one) from tree to tree to account for the direction of thermals based on what direction game will likely come in from.

What some don't realize is that by running a site like this, it allows the hunter to be very selective. For example, since we're talking about deer/elk bait rules here, a hunter can wait for a mature buck to show up and harvest it if he chooses. This is the best scenario from a game management perspective. Typically people running dedicated bait sites are only going to be harvesting mature animals. I can't say the same for those that don't.

I've never baited. I've also never proposed that my fellow hunters be banned from it, especially when we don't have CWD in WA. If it shows up in WA, perhaps an immediate ban, to include DFW feeding sites, may be a prudent step. However, with the absence of a reason to do so, I'm disappointed in hunters who would seek to limit the legal activities of other hunters because of personal bias and choice. We have enough restriction in this state without stabbing each other in the back to create further, unwarranted regulation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:12:26 AM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
I did not stand up or speak out for Houndsmen because I was not one.... But you will be damned sure i learned my lesson and will speak up against this.

Ive put out some apples before but not shot anything overthem....
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
The most concentrated I ever saw whitetail was over alfalfa pastures.

I don't think throwing apples and corn on the ground is going to bring several hundred deer into your stand.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2021, 10:11:20 AM »
Cwd is literally 2 countys away. 70 miles as the crow flys. It probably just a matter of time before its here. Banning baiting would  slow it  down. i never had a problem harvesting a whitetail on public land without bait and i am not young. From what i read it really spreads were deer are concentrated together. I personally dont relish the idea of eating a cwd deer.

That’s a discouraging statement to hear from another hunter. I don’t do it so screw the other guys ? It’s already been stated that this will have NO effect on cwd deer and elk congregate in way larger numbers for many things beyond a bucket of apples. This was the attitude people probably had with bear baiting and hounds. I’m sure there were “superior” bear hunters who didn’t need bait or dogs back then too.

I dont personally bait, and I dont hold the same respect for people who hunt over bait as I do for people who go pay more in sweat equity for their kills. That said, a ban on any existing hunting technique is a ban on all hunting techniques, and I sure as hell dont support it. Keep in mind that the strategy we are fighting against is the "death by a thousand cuts" play. We need to be vigilant and support all ethical forms of our hunting heritage, irrelevant of whether or not we hunt that specific game or in that specific way.

Let me enlighten you -

Maintaining a bait site properly requires a serious amount of work and dedication. The enormous amount of feed you bring in with you to then navigate off road off trail is overwhelming for most.

Setting up and changing your stand (if you have one) from tree to tree to account for the direction of thermals based on what direction game will likely come in from.

What some don't realize is that by running a site like this, it allows the hunter to be very selective. For example, since we're talking about deer/elk bait rules here, a hunter can wait for a mature buck to show up and harvest it if he chooses. This is the best scenario from a game management perspective. Typically people running dedicated bait sites are only going to be harvesting mature animals. I can't say the same for those that don't.
I'm almost sure many deer that are harvested every year , are just coming and going from someones bait site.
And these hunters didn't even know it.
 :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »

I don't think throwing apples and corn on the ground is going to bring several hundred deer into your stand.

Perhaps we should ban any agricultural product which attracts deer.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »

The science say we should. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2021, 10:27:45 AM »
I don't deny you'll get a few, but so does urine (which probably should be banned, because it could literally contain CWD), natural food sources, etc.

This is all just another cut in the death by 1000, and it will gain some hunter support from those who don't bait.  I have baited (don't anymore) and would bait again, but I don't need to in the areas I hunt. 

If I were hunting a high concentration area with doe tags to fill the freezer on small plot, I wouldn't think twice.

Curtis

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2021, 10:28:48 AM »
Herds are collapsing, ending baiting helps keep a few more deer for predators

The mule deer herd that I have fed for 14 years has really taken a hit since Feb. Seven of the dominant breeding does have all gone missing ( two of them were over 14 years old ). they would all have twins every year....one quarter of the fawns would survive. I also had 5 yearling spike bucks that all but one has gone missing. Neighbor has a pic of the collared cougar that jrebel has on his cam from 3 miles away. Also 4 other individual cats. They are wiping out the local mulies. Sickening. Started 14 years ago with 34 deer and today have about 12. That is not counting the whitetail.

I have two females (at least I believe they are female based on size) on camera over the last two weeks.  Bears are running rampant in all of the NE as well.......AND OUR WDFW IS WORRIED ABOUT CWD AND BAIT PILES!!!!!  If it wasn't so serious....it would almost be laughable.  WDFW SUCKS (insert middle finger emoji here). 

I'm tired of WDFW and our state taking, taking, taking and taking some more with no concessions.  Kill the predators and then we can talk CWD, until then you can suck an egg.

Knowing your local area and I have a pretty good idea.
Wolves are up high and have ran cougar everywhere.
I Agree with both your statement . The mule deer are getting hit very hard. Up high in the mountains/down low/everywhere. Pretty much to the point of extinction. But it's ok for WDFW to eliminate mule deer in Stevens county for wolves and cougar. I can guarantee that there predator/prey study is not show the extinction of mule deer in there traditional areas,there gonna act like the mule deer was never there. It's sickening. I'm trying to say wolves have started a chain reaction of moving animals to a pile of dust.
Just remember them wolves are just a few miles up the mountain from you guys. Those wolves will push there competition down. It's taken a few years to see the total repercussions wolves have brought, hopefully now your eyes are open. Mule deer in Stevens county are dead or as good as dead. Now you know. WDFW won't make any special regulations,The only regulations we get is no antlerless harvest of whitetail or mule deer. And  Now that you guys can see more clearly,by the time WDFW does anything to help mule deer they will be gone.And only old timers like us will remember they where even here. Really just a sad story.

Just to add most of the mule deer are gone up in the mountain,where the wolf territory is. Cougar have no choice in being in low elevation. But don't be surprised here soon when you hear them howling at your backdoor. It will come soon there is nothing up high for them to eat. They are not far behind those cougar.

Yes, very sad indeed.  I have had 3 wolves on camera over the last three years too.   :bash: :bash: :bash:

I've had four in last 2 years.  Let's see if what happened to the first two happen to the latest ones.  Had a cougar cruise my food plot just a few days after the wolves. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2021, 10:52:32 AM »
I have my feeders in open areas hoping that the deer will see a predator coming and have lots of escape routes.

Great idea

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »

That is a false statement, the fact is that until CWD is actually in Washington baiting or any other activity for that matter has absolutely no impact on the spread of CWD. As far as I know the nearest CWD is in Montana, there is no baiting allowed in Montana, it's been that way for as long as I can remember, so right there is proof that baiting by hunters most likely did not cause the spread of CWD into Montana!

This is just another attempt to ban baiting for no biological reason!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2021, 11:05:58 AM »

That is a false statement, the fact is that until CWD is actually in Washington baiting or any other activity for that matter has absolutely no impact on the spread of CWD. As far as I know the nearest CWD is in Montana, there is no baiting allowed in Montana, it's been that way for as long as I can remember, so right there is proof that baiting by hunters most likely did not cause the spread of CWD into Montana!

This is just another attempt to ban baiting for no biological reason!

This is my understanding also.  I included all of that information in the e-mail I sent off.  Washington keeps taking and taking and taking...... :bash:

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:58 AM »
Its not the wolves running the cougars out of the hills, its just the cougars following the deer.  Same results either way.

If you dont think wdfw is laying the ground work, you havent been paying attention.  This is how they sleaze their agenda.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2021, 11:50:56 AM »
Its not the wolves running the cougars out of the hills, its just the cougars following the deer.  Same results either way.
I can agree that.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »

Let me enlighten you -

Ill second that, I baited  last year (whitetail) and it was a ton work. A) deer dont just show up to bait out of no where, you still have to scout and find an area that holds deer, especially one you'd like to put tag on which isnt saying much by my standards. Like anything else, these spots are hard to find. B) they go through 10 gallons of apples or corn FAST. Stop checking your site and you're back to square one (at least where I hunted). C) if a single bear comes in your "bait" is gone in an hour. 

I set up my pile in a national forest on public ground. Each time I had to re-bait, my butt had to hike in with 50~ pounds of apples or corn for one spot and I ran multi spots. Its not as easy as it sounds to have a productive bait site. Certainly helpful once you find a spot that things work out but definitely not a drop apples opening morning and boom there's your buck sort of deal.

Also, I used to think it was cool to have wolves here, I was on board with the plan of let them get to a certain level then lets manage them. But that level is a moving target now and its clear there are no plans to address that in the near future. I was wrong my initial opinion on the wolves. If we were to manage them and other predators like we should be able to it might be a different story but the way things are, no such thing as a good wolf in this state if they are unchecked much in the way that cats are and G-bears will be.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2021, 06:21:17 PM »

Maybe thats why our boy Bill Gates is buying up all the farm land, you know he says we can make our own food through science, we don't need farm land, AG land and livestock.....The pieces of the puzzle just keep falling into place.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]