collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spearfishing questions - gearing up  (Read 8513 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Spearfishing questions - gearing up
« on: July 19, 2021, 12:27:54 PM »
I've got the itch to spearfish and have some questions for you all who go

vessel -  My current vessels aren't really setup good for this,  I've been searching Kayaks but they have very limited range, but they can be launched dang near anywhere. 
What about a Zodiac type craft?  I have a new 20hp 4-stroke already that should move a smaller Zodiac pretty good. 
I seen some pretty cool inflatable zodiacs that might be a heck of a bang for the buck

wetsuit - what brands are good?  I see Mako online but there's not much reviews of them and all the online reccomendations never mention them, I think that's due to monitary reasons rather than actual quality...who uses Mako and are they as good as Cressi or Riffe?
Also, if the wetsuit says 6' - 6'4"   180-220 lbs would a 240 guy fit in it?  Is open cell worth the goo you have to use to slide in it?

Gun - Is a roller gun worth the hassle for fish up to lingcod size in shallower waters?   Is an 80cm gun big enough?  What about a 80cm roller vs 100cm non-roller?

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
Re: Spearfishing questions - gearing up
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 12:46:39 PM »
It’s been a few years but I used a AB Biller 32 special. Great balance and plenty of power for big ling. I am a dry suit guy so can’t help on wetsuit. For boats we have launched zodiacs from shore between  Sekiu and Neah Bay. Great area for ling and sea bass. Kayaks can be a good option if your not going far.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »
I find the rubber band guns are more than enough for the PS.  Powerful guns are more of a distance thing than a penetration thing (unless you are shooting the 45 lb+ females which taste terrible!).  Given the 10-15 foot vis in the PS coupled with even shorter shots, a band gun in the 32 inch range should be fine.  I have had good luck with some of the 25 inchers too.

My goto gun was a 48 in AB Biller.  three bands.  I upgraded to the 5/8 diameter bands and would typically put on one 20 inch, and two  22 inchers. 

For the PS I would load 1-2 bands unless I was going after a big ling.  That 20 incher was definitely a challenge to pull back!

I hate the pneumatic guns.  Some folks love them but I found them problematic and underpowered.

Did a couple trips to the Florida Middlegrounds a few years back.  Also did a lot of ling hunting in the Sound as well as out at Neah Bay.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:48:26 PM »
Ignore the reel - I had designs on a halibut!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 01:55:30 PM »
Regarding the Vessel...

Inflatables are outstanding!  We spent time out at Tatoosh in a 12 foot inflatable and never once felt at risk.  They are stable as all get out and carry amazing weight for their size.

I was anchored off the Neah Jetty once and a sneaker wave came in.  It was at least 10 feet tall - we guess 12.  We were loaded heavy (but not over weight):  14 foot inflatable with a 50 horse motor and fuel, 2 guys, 4 tanks plus gear. 

We took it broadside and it was cresting.  It was like the Hawaii pipeline!  We went up one side and I swear I was looking to my right directly into the water below us.  We topped out and went down the other side without issue.  How it did not flip us I will never know.  But my point is - those things take a beating.  Just don't pop them with sharp spears.  We put hose protectors over points when traveling (even in AL or Fiberglass boats).

- Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 02:08:28 PM »
Sorry for all the photos...  Just reliving some of the old hunts.

This was my largest fish.  Can't recall the weight.  I shot it at around 130 feet.  Looked like I stoned it, but when I grabbed it up next to the spear, it went ballistic.  That fish spun me around in a circle like I was on a merry go round so fast that the water pressure nearly ripped off my mask!  Then it changed tactics and moved form a horizontal merry-go-round to a vertical one.  I reached for my blade and tried to unzip it, and was only able to stab it over and over and over again until it stopped moving.  By the time that fish and I were done with each other I had gear scattered all over the ocean floor!  The problem with 100 foot visibility is that you end up with quite an audience when something like that happens!

Good times.
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
love the pics, keep em coming  :tup:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 02:42:05 PM »
If you like a good book, pick up a copy of helldivers rodeo.

https://www.amazon.com/Helldivers-Rodeo-Scuba-Diving-Adventure-Oil-Platforms/dp/0871319365

A truly entertaining read!  Personally I avoided diving in football helmets and 70's disco clothes...  But they make a good case for it!

- Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 02:43:29 PM »
I should ask...  free diving or scuba?
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 04:32:56 PM »
Freediving, I'm not certified but I'd like to change that one of these days!

I have a decent amount of snorkeling experience and shot a lot of fish with Hawaiian slings but never owned a speargun.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 04:35:59 PM »
Sharks skizz me out a bit, why don't people kill them when they get aggressive and about to bite?   Like a bang stick

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »
I am not a free diver, so I have little to offer there.  I know there are some special considerations to avoid shallow water blackout.  There is also some specialized gear (fins are longer than scuba fins and require some training to use properly) .  Streamlining and good weight and balance is important.  Anything that introduces drag will burn your O2 and reduce bottom time.  So low volume masks etc.

That said, nothing to stop you from grabbing fins and a mask, donning a wet suit and a weight belt and jumping in wifh a gun!  A towable float is good too.  You dont want to haul a stringer of fish up and down with you so tying off is good.

Dont even worry about sharks in the PS.  Perhaps a bit more worrisome at neah but low low risk.

I have done a lot of shark dives in the PS.  We chummed in 6 gills at night.  I have some great videos of me feeding them by hand, petting them, etc.  You need to be super aware while chumming but any bite by a 6 gill would be an accident and totally self induced by chumming!  The only sharks you will see free diving would be little harmless dogfish.  They have teeth like sand paper.  And chances if seeing one of those is also slim to none while free diving.

We encountered many open water pelagic sharks on the middlegrounds in FL.  Silkies, grays, and even an 11 foot bull shark!  Those dudes are no-nonsense, dont screw around with them sharks (while spearfishing anyway).  They regularly attempt to steal stringers.  Many times we had them trying to do an end run around us to get behind us and steal fish (they really want to ambush from behind). Kind spooky qhen you are doing open water deco 100 miles from land with a bunch of dead bleeding fish around you!

Anyway.  I love sharks.  Got to do a cage dive with great whites.  That was a bucket list item!

If you want to know more about 6 gills, there was a PBS special on TV a while back that was really well done.  I got to be a part of it and the footage from our crazy chumming night dives is in it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mystery+sharks+of+seattle&view=detail&mid=74FDD4CA6C396A9C8F4A74FDD4CA6C396A9C8F4A&FORM=VIRE

It’s about an hour long, but my parts are in these time slots:
18:26 – 20:55
And
46:18 – 49:03
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
I had these little bang stick things I carried in Fl .  It was a metal sleeve that held a 30.06 shell.  When you need it you would slip it on your spear shaft and shoot it.  The point would hit the primer and set the shell off.  Tested it a couple times on logs and such and it worked well.  Sounded like someone whacking a 55 gallon metal drum with a sledge hammer.  Its not the bullet that kills but the expanding gasses.  It must be in contact with the target when it goes off to be effective.

But honestly every pelagic that stalked us turned tail when we made eye contact.  They are ambush predators and turn when the element surprise is gone.  Now a big bull or tiger probably does not care!  In that case you probably have time to pop a bang stick on and brace for impact-assuming you see them!   But being in cold water really limits our shark encounters up here.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:44:23 PM by Rob »
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 07:42:08 PM »
But back to your situation.  I would grab some basic gear and jump in off a jetty.  Concentrate on 10 to 15 foot depths.  Lots of ling, cabs and other game fish in those areas.  If you hit the straights, focus on kelp (again 10 to 15 feet).  Tons of black and blue rock fish in there.  Just beware of the kelp.  Lost a co-worker diving for lobster off catalina.  They found him a few feet from the surface tangled up in kelp. Avoid big "manly" dive knives.   Small low profile knives are low entanglement risks and really all you need.  Low drag too!  Cant tell you how many times I untangled a buddy with a big knife who got wound up in fishing line, kelp or cave line (used by divers to mark a path or send a bouy to the surface).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:54:36 PM by Rob »
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10