collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guided Mule Deer Hunt Suggestions  (Read 4844 times)

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Guided Mule Deer Hunt Suggestions
« on: July 21, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »
I'm looking for some advice on an out of state guided or semi guided mule deer hunt.  I am sick and tired of waiting around for my points in WA to do me any good.  I've been searching online but there are SOOOOO many guide services available it's ridiculous.  Before someone gives me a hard time about using a guide instead of doing it myself, at best, I'll have nine days to hunt and that would be the extent of my vacation time.  There would be zero time for me to scout under those circumstances.  I just started hunting out of state a couple years ago so I have no points built up anywhere and I know that's going to hurt me.  That being said, I thought I'd give you my criteria down below and was hoping for some suggestions.

- I'm torn between a sage brush/open country type hunt or a horse back wilderness hunt so I'm open to both ideas for now.  I've always dreamt of hunting a large river system by raft, hunting a large cattle farm type of place with a big beautiful lodge, hunting sandhills or badlands, or hunting high alpine peaks.  Again, not sure what I want yet.
- I'm not looking for a canned hunt.  I want to struggle but also be able to pass up bucks that I would not pass up in WA.
- I want to see deer, a lot of deer!  I'm not talking giant mature bucks around every corner but I want to see a healthy deer herd.
- If I earned it, I'd be happy with a 165" mule deer.  Obviously looking for 200" but I'm a realist.
- I would prefer a rut hunt but would be willing to give that up for the right circumstances.
- I'm not exactly picky on which state.
- I'm willing to hunt with a rifle or muzzleloader.
- I'm willing to spend approximately $7,500.  (Does that seem too low?)
- This would most likely take place in 2022 or 2023 at the latest.
- This will be a once in a life time kind of thing so I want an experience!  It was always a pipe dream that my dad and I would talk about before he passed so this will be somewhat of a tribute to him.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: Guided Mule Deer Hunt Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »
You might want to talk to Dale @bearpaw at Bearpaw Outfitters, he may have what you are looking for. He is the HW site owner, click on one of the adds when they popup
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
Alberta. If I was gonna do a guided muley hunt I'd be going to Alberta :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 07:07:41 PM »
With Cody and Kelsey
👍
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »
I think you need to narrow down what type of hunt you looking for and experience. Like you mentioned a horseback mountain hunt or staying in comforts of a lodge and hunting from rig daily. If I were wanting a horseback hunt I’d be looking at WY region G wilderness hunt.  Hunting more open and day hunting from a lodge / hotel I’d look at Alberta like Karl mentioned

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 07:19:22 PM »
It almost sounds like you'd prefer the guided experience (mentioning horseback, lodge, etc.) but also cite the reason being no time to scout. If you're open to DIY within your budget and for the same quality of deer I'd pick up a 3rd season Colorado unit wide voucher in a solid unit. You'd have no problem finding a 165" buck, with bigger potential. Marathon travel days book ending the 7 day season to fit within your 9 day window.  E-scouting could get you in the right general area, and if you have to learn it a bit during the first couple days of the hunt, so be it. It just keeps getting better as the season goes on.  :twocents:

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:52 PM »
No points?

1) Idaho unit 26/27 with a good outfitter (guaranteed tag)

2) Boulder Creek Outfitters (Idaho)

3) Montana private ranch hunt with a good outfit.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »
Alberta. If I was gonna do a guided muley hunt I'd be going to Alberta :twocents:

:yeah:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »

Alberta has definitely been on my mind!

I think you need to narrow down what type of hunt you looking for and experience. Like you mentioned a horseback mountain hunt or staying in comforts of a lodge and hunting from rig daily. If I were wanting a horseback hunt I’d be looking at WY region G wilderness hunt.  Hunting more open and day hunting from a lodge / hotel I’d look at Alberta like Karl mentioned

Yes, not knowing exactly what I want is not helping. 

A couple of other great ideas already as well; please, keep them coming.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
I agree with Alberta but not sure what that costs. If you want to see a lot of decent bucks I would do a private land hunt eastern Montana. I have not hunted with him but I would check out bearpaws Montana hunts looks like he has some pretty good Montana ranches to hunt. Montana private land is my vote for large numbers of “good” bucks . True trophy bucks I would look elsewhere.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:01 PM »
You might want to talk to Dale @bearpaw at Bearpaw Outfitters, he may have what you are looking for. He is the HW site owner, click on one of the adds when they popup

Thanks for the mention wadu1.

adamR the most successful hunt I have is a private ranch hunt in southeast Montana, you have almost no chance of seeing a 200", Montana has excellent hunting but is not a top trophy mule deer destination, but you will generally see numerous mature bucks daily and we try to find the best buck we can for every hunter. We've had 100% shooting for nearly 20 years on these hunts, we only take a small number of hunters on a property to maintain the quality. The down side to Montana is you have to draw a tag, but beginning next year you have twice as much chance to draw on the first year you apply if you book with an outfitter.

The hardest hunt physically speaking I have is southern Idaho, we have general unit hunts and controlled unit hunts. We see an occasional 170-200+ buck, but it's not common, most bucks taken are smaller than 170. The good part about Idaho is that we have tags available over the counter. On the controlled hunts we usually have 80% to 100% shot opportunity, the general units usually run 40% to 80% opportunity.

When guys call me looking for 200" inch deer I often send them to Color Country Outfitters in southern Utah, you can google that, their hunts are legitimate hunts for super big bucks, they get a lot of really large mule deer. The down side is these hunts are price driven, everyone wants a 200" deer and these guys get them, it will cost a lot to hunt there, but they have tags available and you should kill a whopper.

Other good choices for super big bucks: Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Nebraska, Sonora Mexico, and some areas in Alberta & Saskatchewan

Good luck wherever you decide to hunt, quality mule deer hunting is a challenge and a blast!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 08:42:55 PM »
Sounds like a lot of great advice. The only thing I will add is……you may think it is a once in a lifetime experience, but a good guided hunt that meets all your expectations, can be very addicting.   My one in a lifetime moose hunt has tuned into 3out of 4 years with Covid-19 being the reason we didn’t make it last year.   

Wish you luck and can’t wait to hear how your experience plays out. 

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 09:17:06 PM »
I’m with Karl that’s one on my bucket list!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 09:25:20 PM »

x2 I would be looking out of country to Alberta as well.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline buggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 09:41:59 PM »
No points?

1) Idaho unit 26/27 with a good outfitter (guaranteed tag)

2) Boulder Creek Outfitters (Idaho)

3) Montana private ranch hunt with a good outfit.
[/quote

Unit 26/27 are guaranteed tags? I haven't been able to draw one since 2017. What am I missing?

Sorry. Just realized you said "with outfitter". Dont mind me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]