collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nightforce SHV 5-20?  (Read 8190 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Nightforce SHV 5-20?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 03:55:43 PM »
Huskemaw, dial and shoot up to 1000 yards without adding.   :chuckle:
nevermind those pesky atmospheric  conditions that can change your poi by feet....

:peep:
comes w two turrets for elevation, and they’ll make more if you want. I have a 3,000 and a 6,000 foot turret.   :tung:
Wait mr elk! Let me change my turrets!  :tung:
karl can’t hike 3,000 ft in elevation in a month much less one day!  :chuckle: plus, he’s an elk racist!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
Example: 2015 in MT we got hit with a nasty cold snap. Temp dropped out the bottom. I shot my buck at 502 yards. After the fact I got curious and ran the yardage numbers on that shot. With a yardage turret set for 35° and 5k feet i would have had to dial to 630 yards to make that shot. So the guy with the huskemaw would have ranged 502, dialed up to 500 yards and missed the daylights out of that buck. Not for me.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 04:03:53 PM »
Its a hypothetical.  Same exact scopes. Completely identical except one has a 10 moa turret and one has a 20 moa turret. Thats it. Which one are you choosing?

I've already stated that the 10 moa turret isn't necessarily a negative but it is a less desirable feature vs other scopes in its category. Let's compare to the v4 since bullblaster mentioned it. 20 moa turret, capped windage, solid mechanical zero stop, more reticle options (i prefer the t30 or the reticle over the moar) , sub 25oz, solid rep for repeatability. I'd use a shv in a heart beat but with scopes like the v4, I wouldn't even entertain one. Different strokes for different folks :tup:

For your hypothetical......I honest to god could care less for my purposes.  I really like the SVH and larger numbers / graduations with the 10 moa turret.  I also like my NSX, though it is not because it has a 20 moa turret.  I very rarely dial past 10 moa so it just doesn't matter.  That's my whole point.....and why I honestly cannot answer your hypothetical.  Another way to look at your hypothetical would be.....twist one full rotation or half rotation....which is definitely better?? 

You only get one M&M color to eat for the rest of your life...Which one is it?  You have a gun to your head and have to choose.....Ummmmmm???  They all taste the same. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »
Its a hypothetical.  Same exact scopes. Completely identical except one has a 10 moa turret and one has a 20 moa turret. Thats it. Which one are you choosing?

I've already stated that the 10 moa turret isn't necessarily a negative but it is a less desirable feature vs other scopes in its category. Let's compare to the v4 since bullblaster mentioned it. 20 moa turret, capped windage, solid mechanical zero stop, more reticle options (i prefer the t30 or the reticle over the moar) , sub 25oz, solid rep for repeatability. I'd use a shv in a heart beat but with scopes like the v4, I wouldn't even entertain one. Different strokes for different folks :tup:

For your hypothetical......I honest to god could care less for my purposes.  I really like the SVH and larger numbers / graduations with the 10 moa turret.  I also like my NSX, though it is not because it has a 20 moa turret.  I very rarely dial past 10 moa so it just doesn't matter.  That's my whole point.....and why I honestly cannot answer your hypothetical.  Another way to look at your hypothetical would be.....twist one full rotation or half rotation....which is definitely better?? 

You only get one M&M color to eat for the rest of your life...Which one is it?  You have a gun to your head and have to choose.....Ummmmmm???  They all taste the same.
Half turn is better, and m&ms is easy too. Its green. Theyre the best ones.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 04:17:09 PM »
Green M&M's suck.

:chuckle:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 04:20:18 PM »
Green M&M's suck.

Do you even M&M bro!?!?

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 04:21:16 PM »

Bro.  SMH

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 04:22:30 PM »
From my perspective a 10 moa rotation will be half as far off as a 20 when I forget to dial it back to zero.   :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 04:33:08 PM »

thats not an answer sir  :chuckle: the question is 10 or 20 not whether you are indifferent or not.  Lets put it another way. You're the guy in charge of designing the shv line. You've got two options for turrets, a 10 and a 20. Obviously not gonna manufacture two different styles and the manufacturing cost is identical. Which one are you gonna put on the shv?
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2021, 05:59:50 AM »
Can we ask them to offer a 15 MOA model, to settle this dispute?

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2021, 07:03:03 AM »
haha! Ive got an old leupold mrk4 with a 15moa turret thats easily dialed 10k shots on a dozen rifles or more. Just don't tell the internet because the mrk4's aren't supposed to hold zero or track  :chuckle:

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »
haha! Ive got an old leupold mrk4 with a 15moa turret thats easily dialed 10k shots on a dozen rifles or more. Just don't tell the internet because the mrk4's aren't supposed to hold zero or track  :chuckle:
I'm still rocking 2 Mrk 4s on a couple long range rifles . They just flat work ..
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2021, 08:50:37 PM »
Bringing this one back to the top so we may be able to get some closure. Or not.  :chuckle:

thats not an answer sir  :chuckle: the question is 10 or 20 not whether you are indifferent or not.  Lets put it another way. You're the guy in charge of designing the shv line. You've got two options for turrets, a 10 and a 20. Obviously not gonna manufacture two different styles and the manufacturing cost is identical. Which one are you gonna put on the shv?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal