collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blue Tongue  (Read 37059 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Blue Tongue
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
I'm sure they do at least some testing to determine what it is, no reason to believe different outbreaks occur in different herds.  It's a fairly similar virus I believe.

Online nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
I was taught that blue tongue is a common name for many EHD problems.  It is a bunch of different viruses spread by a very large family of midges, little fly like beasties you might call no-see-ums.  Very common when conditions are right.  Pretty much all ruminants.  Whitetail are very susceptible as are pronghorns.  Mule deer less so.  Where whitetail are dying fast and furious a few mule deer will die and cattle may only show a snotty nose.  It is so dry in my area the midge population seems to be down and the die off of whitetail is minor so far.  Other areas are really getting whacked, plan accordingly.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
City of Colville is over the 130 dead deer mark. My wife has to take the calls everyday from crying people that have dying deer in their yards..Employees of the city that haul away the dead deer have never seen it this bad in 30 years.  Just think how many deer in rural and forested areas are dying.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2021, 08:52:28 AM »
Horrible. I wonder if we will ever see resistant herds develop after these huge breakouts?

I've basically given up on seeing whitetail regain their footing in my neck of the woods
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »
Very good article:
Gaydos, J.K., Davidson, W.R., Elvinger, F., Mead, D.G., Howerth, E.W. and Stallknecht, D.E., 2002. Innate resistance to epizootic hemorrhagic disease in white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 38(4), pp.713-719.
(available online through scholar.google.com)

Basically, they inoculated groups of captive whitetails from Texas and from Pennsylvania with two different types of EHD virus (epizootic hemorrhagic disease).  The Pennsylvania deer, from a more northern, cooler climate, were incredibly susceptible to EHD, whereas the Texas deer (from a dry, hot climate where outbreaks have long been a part of their environment) were not.  This shows that whitetails exposed to EHD-causing viruses throughout their history do develop resistance. 

Our longer, hotter, drier summers are increasing the frequency of exposed mud in creek bottoms, the breeding site for Culicoides gnats (vector of orbiviruses, including EHD types).  Hence the recent outbreaks.  I think over time, our northern Rockies whitetails will develop resistance, but that may be a long process.  Until then, we'll just see whitetail populations cycle up and down with wet and dry years or decades. 

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »
My view from here tells me interruptions of the high/low ehd cycles will become extreme once you add in potential for a bad winter or two and the worsening effects of predation.

Bouncing back will take longer and even possibly be the beginning of a much smaller whitetail herd.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
If we have a hard winter the predators will just about wipe out the remaining herd. Once that happens what will the predators eat?
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
how long ago was the last outbreak?

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2021, 10:24:02 AM »
If we have a hard winter the predators will just about wipe out the remaining herd. Once that happens what will the predators eat?

You and your neighbors Pets.

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »
There have been isolated areas of ehd rather frequently, just nothing of this magnitude.  Been several years since the last fairly bad outbreak around hwy 25 north. 

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2021, 11:24:48 AM »
There have been isolated areas of ehd rather frequently, just nothing of this magnitude.  Been several years since the last fairly bad outbreak around hwy 25 north.

2015 was a bad year for EHD, at least down here in the southeast corner.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »
For what you asked Dale, yes the mosquito donut dunks will kill Midge larvae and gnats as well. I live on the western edge of Whitman county and all the whitetail around my place are doing fine there's actually more than I'm used to seeing and the water is still running behind my house. I have a small spring that stays on my property and they seem to be staying around for that water. I also have less mosquitoes this year than I've ever had so the larvae from those Midge flies and other types might be affected also. This was sent out to folks in Kamiah the other day.

Thanks, I googled and found this, I already ordered some to put in the wildlife water tank I have on my place:
https://www.amazon.com/Summit-responsible-solutions-110-12-Mosquito/dp/B0000AH849/ref=psdc_3737941_t2_B07PFQYWBX

- Kills mosquitoes before they're old enough to bite
 - The only product with bti, bacteria toxic only to mosquito larvae
 - Lasts for 30 days and treats 100 square feet of surface water
 - Non-toxic to all other wildlife , pets, fish, and humans
 - Labeled for organic gardening by the usepa

UPDATE:
This product worked great, there was a lot of insect larvae swimming around in my water tank, a few days after putting one of these in the tank there was none alive in the tank and the animals are still watering, doesn't seem to discourage their use of the waterhole. I'm glad it worked and hoping we can save a few deer around my place. Unfortunately I don't know how many other places they could be watering.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »
That's great Dale! I also threw them into the spring water hole. I have constantly been checking the water too and it's covered in duckweed now so I have to stir it around to look into it. Not seeing much for larvae in mine either. Some water skippers but that's about it. The guy cutting the grass field behind me said he did find a dead doe with the fawns hanging out nearby still and they weren't running around much. I still have alot of whitetails up the flat though when I leave for work so hopefully they are doing ok.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »
Saw my first blue tongue deer a doe on my place Sunday. She walked in cycles until she was out front of my house in my field. The game dept didn't return my call, so I called SO and asked for a deputy to come out and put the poor thing down. A Deputy called right back and gave me permission to do the deed. It's not like harvesting a deer this was very emotional for me. I saw another one a 3 point buck yesterday just down the road from my house. By the time a Warden got there the buck was gone. He told me that they are spending most if not all of their time right now dealing with sick or dead deer. I haven't seen blue tongue this bad around here since 1993, the heards have never been the same since that year. Just north of Chewelah.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2021, 02:41:31 PM »
how long ago was the last outbreak?
It happens most every year in small areas, but this outbreak is wide spread.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]