collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blue Tongue  (Read 37039 times)

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Re: Blue Tongue
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »
So what is the turn around on the results? So you get it tested and you get a positive and you have it cut up and frozen in the freezer.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 01:08:17 PM by Ridgeratt »

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2021, 12:01:26 PM »
Hopefully that 2,000 foot elevation anecdote holds true elsewhere. My main whitetail spots are above 2,500 feet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Overnight temps are the defining factor so it can vary, but if you are looking at 2500+ you can probably count on being good to go.  Of course higher is better.

Odd to exclude 101, 121, but know for sure there is a reason as well as you know the whole of the cwd testing is agenda driven.  With the so called scientific study, wdfw can and will forego the public comment period and public meet and greets and issue results and sentence all at once effective immediately.  Its how they roll.  Baiting will be the casualty of this little program even though theres no cases of cwd west of Libby Mont.  When wdfw does a study, results ALWAYS support their agenda.  You ever hear of any agency even paying for a study that doesnt provide them with what they need to promote their agenda ? Let alone doing an in house study?  Their bait ban agenda has slowly been gaining speed from within and I see it coming down hard and fast.  Dont be surprised.

Online hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2021, 01:05:51 PM »
So what is the turn around the results? So you get it tested and you get a positive and you have it cut up and frozen in the freezer.
Other states as far as I know ,you wait for results if it comes back positive for CWD, you open your freezer and throw it away.
Not sure on what the turn around for results are.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2021, 01:43:45 PM »
Wisconsins page says typically 10-14 days after sample is collected.  But im sure good ol wa. will be different

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2021, 01:50:58 PM »
Comforting thought. Would reissue you another tag to repeat the same thing.  A refund would be totally out of the question.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »
So you kill a deer in the NE corner and go get it tested, does that mean no backstraps on the grill that night?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »
So you kill a deer in the NE corner and go get it tested, does that mean no backstraps on the grill that night?

101 and 121 are excluded for god knows what reason, so I guess if you harvest in one of those units youre safe ??

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately the world we live in.  I try not to eat any deer from MT until I get the results back, but after a few whiskey drinks in celebration, something usually gets cooked.  Outside of that, we wait.

I can't remember how long they took last year, seemed like a long time.  They also have a good PDF and video out there how to harvest the glands they need for testing.

I wouldn't trust any game department's assessment, they can easily miss an area as well as hunters moving bones around and spreading it to random areas we thought were safe.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2021, 02:31:13 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately the world we live in.  I try not to eat any deer from MT until I get the results back, but after a few whiskey drinks in celebration, something usually gets cooked.  Outside of that, we wait.

I can't remember how long they took last year, seemed like a long time.  They also have a good PDF and video out there how to harvest the glands they need for testing.

I wouldn't trust any game department's assessment, they can easily miss an area as well as hunters moving bones around and spreading it to random areas we thought were safe.

I killed a deer last year in western montana and didn't have it tested. Its close to gone and so far I don't have a third arm growing out of my forehead
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Online hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »

101 and 121 are excluded for god knows what reason, so I guess if you harvest in one of those units youre safe ??
I live in 121 watch deer die right across the street.
And after seeing it ,my wife wants me to have it tested.
So to say it's safe cause it's from 121 is a little out there.
But it's totally up to yourself I guess. I'm not sure if I'm going to lie about where I harvest ,if I do harvest. And I do hunt both units. 117/121

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »
So if you can read that correctly you should see it as a rhetorical question, not a statement, and no one is suggesting its safe or that others should feel safe to eat it and everyone is capable of making their own decisions regarding the testing and results, I think.

Online hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2021, 03:28:26 PM »
So if you can read that correctly you should see it as a rhetorical question, not a statement, and no one is suggesting its safe or that others should feel safe to eat it and everyone is capable of making their own decisions regarding the testing and results, I think.
Correct,correct,agreed,
And I also agree with your suggestions about agenda drivin.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
This is a bleak year for the Palouse. In an area my family has been hunting for 50+ years and has always produced deer. There was not a single deer seen on opening day. On a really good year we would easily see 50-100 deer and even the worst years (2015 is the worst I can remember) we saw a dozen or so and still managed to get a few bucks. Not seeing a single deer in this area is startling. It’s going to take a really long time for the whitetail populations to rebound from this.

Offline Broomd

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2021, 12:43:15 PM »
Damn, that's unfortunate news.

We haven't seen much carnage here up in the woods south of CDA, but have heard things were really bad over by Plummer and Westward.  Makes a guy wonder if the really dry flatlands lend to that die-off?

Do flowing creeks help alleviate the issue?

Can say anecdotally that this is the worst fawn crop we've ever witnessed in our area. We know of one fawn dropped of about twenty does we see throughout the area.  We do have four lions in our valley though and they are a problem.

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »
Regarding the Palouse area units, we should try to get rid of any wt doe hunts for the next few seasons. Not a lot of predators. Drought, cars, and hunters do the killing.  We can control two of those factors. Or at least if WDFW doesn’t remove the doe opportunities, I would hope as ethical hunters we all agree to hunt bucks only or hunt elsewhere. My :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]