collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2021 EAST ELK RAFFLE!!! Video added 9/28  (Read 50892 times)

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
Re: 2021 EAST ELK RAFFLE!!! Video added 9/28
« Reply #315 on: September 28, 2021, 08:49:07 PM »
Great bull and good job keeping your composure! I don’t know many guys that would have been that calm.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
Wow, awesome man. Thanks for sharing. What a great experience!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Online redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #317 on: September 28, 2021, 09:40:57 PM »
Great job. Love the video. Congrats

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #318 on: September 29, 2021, 07:04:11 AM »
Pretty sure that's everyones dream right there, well, except for Karl, he'd rather shoot a 4x4 160'' mule deer!   :chuckle:  Seriously though, thanks for bringing us along this adventure, you did it justice.  Great bull that will look amaze balls on the wall.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #319 on: September 29, 2021, 08:53:03 AM »
Pretty sure that's everyones dream right there, well, except for Karl, he'd rather shoot a 4x4 160'' mule deer!   :chuckle:  Seriously though, thanks for bringing us along this adventure, you did it justice.  Great bull that will look amaze balls on the wall.
Thanks.

On the subject of those 160" mule deer I just happen to have a late archery entiat deer tag in my pocket.  I will shift my focus over to that thread next.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #320 on: September 29, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
A couple of notes on that video.

Micah was filming from the side, the tree in front of the bull was obscuring me as he was coming in and I was ranging different trees and brush so I would know the distance depending on where he stepped out.  He kind of zig zagged in and each time he would get behind that tree or turn his head is when I would make my movements.  I drew as he was behind the tree.  When he stepped out I could see 3/4 of his chest, his right 1/4 side of the chest was blocked by that tree.  The log he stepped over was 40 yards, the tree to his right was 35.

As the bull is coming in you see him hang up and look side to side.  That is when the wind hits my back.  He takes a few steps and bugles as the wind hits my back again.  He knew something was wrong but didn't know what.  I really wanted him to turn but he just wouldn't so I let the arrow go.

I had a 50 yard shot when Micah stopped him with the cow call but just couldn't get an arrow out and on in time for a follow up shot.

When we are blood trailing and the cow walks in front of us with the bull behind I immediately assumed it was my bull and my heart sank.  I quickly realized it was much smaller and a different bull.  The cow stopped dead in her tracks and the blood trail was going straight at her.  I knew she was looking at my bull dead on the ground.  The elk spooked and we continued to what I that was a downed bull only to have the blood trail turn up hill 30 yards before we got to the trees.  My heart sank again.  We followed the trail for another 100 feet of great blood and found a huge pool of blood.  That is when I say "he has to be dead it's just a matter of how far did he go"  Micah is just grinning.  As I turn forward it hits me he is really grinning that is when I realize he must see the bull.

The flood of emotions is insane when I finally see the bull.

I am just stunned that it is right there in front of me.  It's massive.  The frontal shot actually worked out.  I have no idea how many times I went from that was a kill shot to why did I take that shot.  It also hits me that the hunt is over.  The work now begins.  How are we going to get this out?  So many things going through my mind.

Again this was an amazing experience that gave everything and more than I could have ever dreamed of.

I appreciate all the kind words, all of the support through out the hunt and I really appreciate the opportunity that I was given to have this great experience.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #321 on: September 29, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
 :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #322 on: September 29, 2021, 10:32:58 AM »
One other thing on the video and the pack out.  We originally tied the head lower on my pack but with the cape still attached it put the weight too far away from my body.  We retied it with the antlers down and they cleared the ground by 2" on flat ground but drug when I went downhill.  We retied them with the head high and tight into my shoulders.  By the end of the trip when Micah was filming it had been raining for an hour and  I had run into so many branches and trees that it had knocked the load loose and over to the side.  I was too tired to readjust and just hiked out like that.

Next time I am going to take the hide all the way off and lose the lower jaw and any additional weight I can get off of it.  With the cape and skull separate I think I could have tied it more secure and tighter to my body.  That way would suck less, it would still suck.  You have to "embrace the suck".

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »

"embrace the suck".
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: Feels sooooo good when your pack hits that tail gate!!!  I love the "suck".   :chuckle:

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2021, 01:24:18 PM »
Just had the time to sit and watch it.
What a dream hunt with a dream ending man.
Great job!!!!!!!👏
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #325 on: September 29, 2021, 02:02:49 PM »
Having the video really puts the hunt over the top.

Had I taken a shot at the giant I was chasing most of the day I would not of had video of the shot.  We never got video of the bull it was all happening too fast.  That bull FYI is now dead, not my story to tell, and I don't regret for a single minute not having a rifle to shoot him.  I am not sure I even regret not getting a shot at him with a bow because I wouldn't have the video that I have.  I would have a bigger rack on the wall but if you have been following this thread at all you know it was never and still is not about inches of antler on the wall.  It was about the experience and I have video of the whole thing.

I think the best part of the video is nothing was staged, I didn't realize Micah had taken so much video.  Watching the video back I remember the questions and replies but I don't recall that he was videoing, it never registered that there was a phone filming.  That footage is literally as raw as you can get.  It puts me right back in the moment every time I watch it.  I feel the adrenaline rush, I feel the pit in my gut, I feel the wind hit my back, I feel the relief of seeing this massive animal on the ground.

I am thrilled to have the video and so happy to share it all with you.  This was a once in a lifetime hunt and most will never get to experience all that I was able to.  I hope that I was able to convey the emotion and experience so you could all have a glimpse of what it was like from the minute I found out results were out, the frantic drive home to check tickets and disbelief as I answered the phone call from WDFW, all the highs and lows of the hunt and the pack out.

Thank you all for following, for your comments and your patience as I did it my way, in the unit I love, with a bow.

The monkey from 2017 is officially off my back.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #326 on: September 29, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
Awesome man, don't let the dust get in your eyes!  Or do!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #327 on: September 29, 2021, 07:02:39 PM »
Pretty great video! Man that would be cool to relive that moment over and over again like that.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #328 on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:20 PM »
Having the video really puts the hunt over the top.

Had I taken a shot at the giant I was chasing most of the day I would not of had video of the shot.  We never got video of the bull it was all happening too fast.  That bull FYI is now dead, not my story to tell, and I don't regret for a single minute not having a rifle to shoot him.  I am not sure I even regret not getting a shot at him with a bow because I wouldn't have the video that I have.  I would have a bigger rack on the wall but if you have been following this thread at all you know it was never and still is not about inches of antler on the wall.  It was about the experience and I have video of the whole thing.

I think the best part of the video is nothing was staged, I didn't realize Micah had taken so much video.  Watching the video back I remember the questions and replies but I don't recall that he was videoing, it never registered that there was a phone filming.  That footage is literally as raw as you can get.  It puts me right back in the moment every time I watch it.  I feel the adrenaline rush, I feel the pit in my gut, I feel the wind hit my back, I feel the relief of seeing this massive animal on the ground.

I am thrilled to have the video and so happy to share it all with you.  This was a once in a lifetime hunt and most will never get to experience all that I was able to.  I hope that I was able to convey the emotion and experience so you could all have a glimpse of what it was like from the minute I found out results were out, the frantic drive home to check tickets and disbelief as I answered the phone call from WDFW, all the highs and lows of the hunt and the pack out.

Thank you all for following, for your comments and your patience as I did it my way, in the unit I love, with a bow.

The monkey from 2017 is officially off my back.
I don’t know man that much  more antler my gun would’ve went caboom :chuckle:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:43:28 PM by teanawayslayer »
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #329 on: September 29, 2021, 07:32:55 PM »
Good God that had to be unreal to see a bull of that caliber!
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw