collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trail camera thiefs  (Read 7726 times)

Offline eastfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Trail camera thiefs
« on: July 31, 2021, 02:42:44 PM »
Has anyone went out in the woods with the intent to catch a thief?  If so, have you been successful?  You can PM me if you want. Also, if you catch a thief, do you take care of it yourself? What are the odds that they ever get persecuted.

I have a plan up sleeve, just curious on people's thoughts

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Trail camera thiefs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
There is a great thread on here from a couple years ago.   

Guy actually walked up on the thieves and caught them.   He prosecuted them and won. 

Definitely look it up.   Its a great read.

Its easy for a lot of internet tough guys to tell you to pummel the theif you catch.......   you never lose a simulated fight over the internet. 

My advice:    handle it legally.   Prosecute to the full extent.  Make them regret their ways. 

Good luck. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 03:48:45 PM »
Speaking from experience unless you have pictures of the thief actually taking the camera it could be said all your evidence, even if you can identify that the "suspected" thief was the only person in the area from the time you put the camera up until you found it missing, is circumstantial.
Still believe a good thing would be exploding dye packs,fluorescent green or purple would be my preference. Then let the thief have to admit how he got covered with permanent dye in court when he filed injury charges against you. ""I was attempting to steal a trail camera when I opened it and the dye pack exploded""
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:54:27 PM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 04:03:20 PM »
There's a big difference between persecuted and prosecuted. :chuckle:

Offline HooknoseHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »
Are these cameras on your own property? Because that changes things. I have 90% of my cameras on my own property and I usually only put the old crappy ones on public land just in case someone decides they need them more than me. I’m not sure what the rules are on public land but I’d imagine the thief could argue you had abandoned a camera on public land and it’s kind of a “finders keepers” type situation.
Western Washington is a *censored*hole country

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 04:50:05 PM »
1.  I am not willing to go to prison for a $100 camera, so solving it on my own it out of the question.  If you give them a good beat down....they will report you and you will be in worse trouble than a thief stealing a camera. 

2.  I would rather spend my time finding an area that doesn't have other people to steal a camera, as opposed to trying to catch a bum.  Move on and move your cameras to more remote places. 

3.  Even if they get prosecuted....it will result in a slap on the hand. 

4.  If I did have a plan, I would not post on the internet.....now there it is premeditated ("I have a plan up sleeve" if I use your exact words) and if it goes the wrong way....you go to prison for even longer. 

If I actually caught someone in the act, I would call 911 and report the act.  I would attempt to document with a cell camera / video.  I wouldn't engage unless I absolutely had to for the simple reason that I may loose or someone may get very hurt / killed over a camera.  Kind of puts things in perspective.....you may be the one on the losing end of the fight.  Most people in the woods have guns so absolutely nothing good can come of this scenario. 

I absolutely hate thieves and feel your pain.  If you really want to catch them....hide cameras that are on both video and photo and catch them in the act.  Turn it over the the local authorities and make them famous on the world wide web. 

Just my two cents.   :twocents: :twocents:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 05:01:41 PM »
Causing injury however minor to protect low value personal property on public land could get you in jail and possibly sued....

Remember, trail cam theft's are very low misd crimes, and these days the offender will not even see jail. Let alone a judge....ever.

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:13:53 PM »
Causing injury however minor to protect low value personal property on public land could get you in jail and possibly sued....

Remember, trail cam theft's are very low misd crimes, and these days the offender will not even see jail. Let alone a judge....ever.

Totally agree! I have no plans of such, my plan up my sleeve was a plan on how to catch them!  Not even sure it worth wasting the energy to catch them. But what sucks is that they will do it again,  and again and again until when...that what bothers me. If nothing is done then we will just keep encouraging them to steal at will...kinda like shopping at target in California now. Grab what you want and walk out. Social embarrassment may be the only punishment they get. But most probably won't even care of that.   

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 05:19:10 PM »

Totally agree! I have no plans of such, my plan up my sleeve was a plan on how to catch them!  Not even sure it worth wasting the energy to catch them. But what sucks is that they will do it again,  and again and again until when...that what bothers me. If nothing is done then we will just keep encouraging them to steal at will...kinda like shopping at target in California now. Grab what you want and walk out. Social embarrassment may be the only punishment they get. But most probably won't even care of that.

These guys get caught all the time and they just don't care.  Look at the statistics for repeat DUI offender, petty theft, assault and battery, etc, etc, etc, ...... thugs / bums don't care about getting caught.  On the rare case you catch a good person making a bad decision....you may make a change, most likely not the case though. 

Move on and know your cameras are in a place that thugs are.  I personally wouldn't want to hunt that area knowing those people frequent it. 

Again...private property changes certain aspects of what we are talking about. 

Offline Piscatory_5

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »
Use cellular cams so you get you photos even if camera is down and disable the camera once you know it's been taken. It will be useless to them. Or get locking cables and bear proof case for each.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
Post two cams. One that’s obvious and one that’s harder to see. If this happened on a trail, put one up at the trailhead to see if you can get a vehicle pic. They won’t be looking for cams next to the road. You might lose three cams or you might get lucky and get him in the act. Don’t confront anyone in the woods, ever. Observe and report. If your evidence is good enough, you may have both civil and criminal avenues to explore. Depending on where this is taking place, the sheriff might be willing to get involved with the right evidence…or just go somewhere else. Sorry about your stuff.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »
Use cellular cams so you get you photos even if camera is down and disable the camera once you know it's been taken. It will be useless to them. Or get locking cables and bear proof case for each.

Good ideas.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 05:31:42 PM »

Lock boxes not a guarantee as had a friends camera that was bolted to a tree stolen as it appeared they either brought in a Sawzall or a hack saw and cut the bolts anchoring the lockbox to the tree
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 05:36:29 PM »

These guys get caught all the time and they just don't care.  Look at the statistics for repeat DUI offender, petty theft, assault and battery, etc, etc, etc, ...... thugs / bums don't care about getting caught.  On the rare case you catch a good person making a bad decision....you may make a change, most likely not the case though. 

Move on and know your cameras are in a place that thugs are.  I personally wouldn't want to hunt that area knowing those people frequent it. 

Again...private property changes certain aspects of what we are talking about.

Pretty much summoned up exactly how I feel. Still pisses me off cause even by moving on its like they won. Which really hanks me.

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »

Maybe if you are buying the 49.95 cameras it could be low value but when the camera cost 200.00 to 300.00 dollars IMO that is not low value. Alternate is to let the carrion eaters have a good meal.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand