collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dumb ID fishing license question  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Dumb ID fishing license question
« on: August 02, 2021, 09:19:00 PM »
So, my bro and I are taking the munchkins out for kokanee and possibly chinook at CDA.  It looks like the general rule is the kids don't need a license but their limit is part of an adult license holder - great, I will have a license but won't be doing much if any fishing myself.

BUT, it also looks like any NR (youth and adult?) need an additional permit to fish for salmon or steelhead.  I would assume kokanee fall under this?

I see the NR 3 day salmon/steelhead which I intend on buying for me and my brother but there is no NR youth salmon/steelhead and it doesn't say anything about that being covered under the youth NR fishing license?

Any ID resident or frequent ID fisherman have any insight on this?  I could ask at Cabelas in Post Falls, but I would rather place my trust in someone here that knows what they are doing. 

Essentially, for two adults and 3-4 kids, what licenses we need to all legally fish for kokanee?

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Dumb ID fishing license question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 09:22:50 PM »
I would be surprised if Kokanee fall under the salmon and steelhead. They are landlocked and salmon and steelhead are ocean going. I mean a steelhead is just a rainbow trout that goes to sea. You wouldn’t need that extra permit for rainbows in the same waters right? But I’m totally just guessing so sorry.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:41 PM »
I think you're right, I probably need a copy of the regs to verify and I'll run it by my WA fishing attorney - maybe he is cross-licensed in ID.

Man, I remember when a guy just rode his bmx bike to Kmart and told the guy behind the glass counter "give me a fishing license" and that was that.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:39 AM »
Out of state fishing license for a kid is like $27 and that is for a full year.  It cost me a $100 for 2 - 3 day passes and my youngest year long license.  Kokanee don't count towards the salmon / steelhead.  We got back from CDA yesterday.  We mainly targeted small mouth and large mouth bass.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:11:45 AM »
If fishing for Landlock salmon you don't need the endorsement.  I asked this same question last week because I as thinking about chasing the kings up the Cd'A river in a few weeks.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 07:58:17 AM »
Cool, thanks guys.

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »
Really like that idea of kids fishing off an adults license. Really wish this state would do the same, and for hunting. My daughter can only get out a few times a year, busy girl,, and the cost is prohibitive. Leave the option to purchase a license if they would like to take their own limit of game.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »
To me it seems unnecessarily complex.  Either kids fish free or they don't, even WA kids fish free (at least for freshwater).

They are essentially saying kids can fish for free unless they want to actually keep the fish and then they don't have a limit.  They also have to be accompanied by an adult, they can't go out by themselves which my kids regularly do while we are on vacation, at the beach, a dock, bank or they are at a family's lake property where the adults might not have a license.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal