collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hoof rot incentive program and permits.  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Hoof rot incentive program and permits.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »
I like they are trying to get creative, but it sounds like you're basically burning a tag in hopes you get drawn for a premium tag the next year.  The couple of people I know that have harvested elk with hoof rot have said the meat was not in good shape.  Even if it were, not sure I would want to eat a diseased animal.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 11:56:07 AM »
I like they are trying to get creative, but it sounds like you're basically burning a tag in hopes you get drawn for a premium tag the next year.  The couple of people I know that have harvested elk with hoof rot have said the meat was not in good shape.  Even if it were, not sure I would want to eat a diseased animal.

I have killed a couple of hoof rot elk and could not taste the difference.  Neither were extreme cases of hoof rot but they had it enough to limp.

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 12:04:22 PM »
At least one of the elk I was referring to was in bad shape.  He said the meat was slimy and had a bad taste to it.  Animal was in rough shape overall.

Glad yours have been ok.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 12:29:30 PM »
At least one of the elk I was referring to was in bad shape.  He said the meat was slimy and had a bad taste to it.  Animal was in rough shape overall.

Glad yours have been ok.
That sounds disgusting, not sure I would have even tried to eat it.  I'd love to shoot a 350'' bull with massive hoof rot, no meat to pack out!!!    :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »
No way I would eat a diseased animal, particularly when they don't really know what the disease is, what caused it or any data on whether it's safe to eat or not.  That's probably overly conservative, but I think shooting the diseased animals is in no way addressing the problem.

Offline scoutdog346

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »
There is no way hoof rot itself could make the meat bad.  The only way is if the hoof rot made it tlso the elk was so handicapped that is made the elk not be able to eat right and get enough water to the point in negatively impacted the meat. Unlike the east side where food amd water is not  Readily available nearly everywher the west side had food and water everywhere

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 04:03:49 PM »
From WDFW:

Tests show the disease is limited to animals' hooves, and does not affect their meat or organs. If the meat looks normal and if hunters harvest, process, and cook it practicing good hygiene, it is probably safe to eat.

Lots of confidence there.  It's a bacteria meaning there is probably zero chance to keep it 100% off the meat using any normal or careful practices in the field.

There is no evidence it affects humans, but I'm not trying that theory out.  I understand if others do, everyone makes their own decisions on what they feed their family.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
There is no way hoof rot itself could make the meat bad.  The only way is if the hoof rot made it tlso the elk was so handicapped that is made the elk not be able to eat right and get enough water to the point in negatively impacted the meat. Unlike the east side where food amd water is not  Readily available nearly everywher the west side had food and water everywhere

:yeah:

Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 05:17:15 PM »
Our hunting group has eaten several elk with hoof rot to varying degrees. I have never had meat from any of them that had a bad taste. I have seen 14s that were very atrophied from not being used. Depending on how bad they were affected we have discarded a couple of those 1/4s.

I keep saying I'm not eating anymore elk with hoof rot but I keep on eating them. Have been doing so for many years. No ill affects from what I can tell.

I also believe that the tag that is mentioned can be a 2nd tag if the hunter harvests an elk during their regular season.

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »
You guys can do your thing. All I know is one way or another at least one of the elk my hunting group has taken with hoof rot has been terrible. Whether that be a direct result of the hoof rot or a secondary effect, who knows. Either way, it wasn't fit for human consumption.

As Stein stated, each person can make their own decision on what they decide to harvest and eat. I won't judge them for their decision.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal