collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kent Fast Steel issues?  (Read 556 times)

Offline alove12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Proverbs 12:27
Kent Fast Steel issues?
« on: August 03, 2021, 11:10:44 AM »
Hi all,

So, I have an early 2000s Remington 870 Supermag that is my go-to for waterfowl, and I can't use Kent shells without having them hang up and jam like crazy every time. I get the first shot off and then the shell doesn't eject and I get to watch the geese all fly away. Has anyone else had this issue? My buddy has an 870 that runs Kent shells just fine, and I have talked to so many people that swear by them for waterfowl. I don't think I have an ejector issue, since my gun literally runs every other shell I've tried (Federal, Remington, Winchester, Estate, etc.) without a hiccup. I normally would just avoid them, but with our current ammo shortage, Kent is the only brand available locally for 2 and BB, so I might not have a choice come October.

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Solutions?

-Alex

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Kent Fast Steel issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 11:20:22 AM »
I have an 870 I bought circa 99 or 2000 and have the same issues with Kent shells. Unfortunately it has the same issue with Remington, Winchester, Federal, Estate and anything else I tried.

It runs fine at the range in dry conditions and for a bit after a very thorough cleaning but as soon as it's exposed to waterfowl hunting conditions it's a one shot wonder.  Failure to eject, failure to load, pretty much the gamut of ways a shotgun can fail.

I would personally save up for another gun for waterfowl.

Offline alove12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
Interesting. The action on mine is super reliable, otherwise. It always ends up full of dirt and dog hair (thanks to my dog), and operates fine with everything except Kent. I shot the Federal blue box shells all year until I ran out of them and didn't have a single issue.

Offline Dan-o

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 11:40:08 AM »
Bought all 3 sons Remington 870 ultramags.

They all jammed.

This fixed them all.

I could see/feel the machining marks.

I actually put Scotchbrite on a drill bit and used a ton of polishing compound.

They are now smooth and don't jam.

P.S.   I believe some brands of shells have softer brass and are more susceptible to jamming.     This cured all 3 of ours.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Dan-o

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 11:46:03 AM »
Interesting. The action on mine is super reliable, otherwise. It always ends up full of dirt and dog hair (thanks to my dog), and operates fine with everything except Kent. I shot the Federal blue box shells all year until I ran out of them and didn't have a single issue.

I wonder if the Kent Steel has softer brass.....  and expands into the machining marks?

Just a thought.

I HATE guns that don't work.

Good luck.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline alove12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 12:00:51 PM »
I talked to a guy that thought maybe the nickel plating on the Kent shells was more slippery and kept the ejector from grabbing the shell once fired, but I have no idea if that's a real thing.

I'll take it you are referring to machining marks in the chamber? I'll take a look and see if I can see anything in there. I've used this gun for the last 15 years and haven't had a single issue with any other shells hanging up. It's possible that the Kent shells expand a little when fired and it's enough to keep it from ejecting like normal. I'll give the chamber a good scrub and see if that makes a difference!

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »
I had Kent cause this issue with an o/u I had about 5 years ago.  Stopped using the Kents (but still have a case of them left) and for other reasons sold the gun.   I feel it was the Kent shells had either a softer brass base on them or Kent had a higher chamber pressure.    I did not polish the chamber out.  Shot some Kents late last season out of my "replacement" Browning 725 and had no ejection issues with it.  Guess it has a chamber that was better polished.  Old gun that was replaced was a Turkish gun.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Frontiersman
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 01:15:48 PM »
870's are noted for jamming as well as 11-87's. I would try the polishing method Dan-o suggested before I attempted something else. All steel hunting loads as well as target loads have steel bases only high end target loads are brass. Without doing a side X side look and measurement, your chamber may be on the tight side and or the angle of the base is not allowing the extractor to function with Kent.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal