collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long term storage, component level or loaded ammo?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Long term storage, component level or loaded ammo?
« on: August 23, 2021, 01:03:13 PM »
I have a fair amount of reloading components sitting around. I've always been a fresh ammo guy, I like to load out what I need for that year but that's it. I've been wondering though, is it better to have larger amounts of loaded ammo for long term storage vs keeping everything in separate components? Short version, does ammo or reloading components store better? Considering it's all kept in a conditioned space, no sun light, etc...
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Long term storage, component level or loaded ammo?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »
I have a fair amount of reloading components sitting around. I've always been a fresh ammo guy, I like to load out what I need for that year but that's it. I've been wondering though, is it better to have larger amounts of loaded ammo for long term storage vs keeping everything in separate components? Short version, does ammo or reloading components store better? Considering it's all kept in a conditioned space, no sun light, etc...
I can't tell you what option is better.
But I do the same exact thing.
Load what I think I might need,nobody wants to sit at the reloading chair while season is on.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 04:21:08 PM »
I've shot WW 2 surplus 3006 ammo and it worked pretty good... I would say personal preference but I think having more than a couple of boxes per caliber his a good idea
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 05:20:53 PM »
Like @Special T said old WWll ammo still shoots, don't know how many 30-06, 30 Carbine and 45 ACP I've shot. Some of 45-70 manufactured in the 1880 were slow but did go off. The only old ammo I've had FTF is some WWl 30-06.
I like to hunt with newer loaded ammo, and use the stuff I loaded over the years at the range. For what it's worth I load everything I shoot.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »
I suspect either of the options you are presenting are better than the third option - keeping a mag's worth of rounds in the ashtray between seasons.  That was Grandpa's standard operating procedure, and he never complained about misfires.  :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 06:21:03 PM »
I don't know that it matters much, I've shot primers that are 15 years old just laying on a shelf in my garage where it's hot in the summer and damp all winter.  Same with loaded ammo.  The brass will tarnish after a while but that's about it.  It's actually pretty amazing how stable all that stuff is.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 06:34:37 PM »
My dad bought an absolute ton of primers, powder and bullets from a mail order catalog (I think Dillon) in the early 90s. They goofed up and double shipped his order and when he called to tell them they told him they appreciated his honesty and it was cheaper for them to let him keep it than to try to have him ship it back. I just used the last of the .30 cal bullets last week, he has alot of powder left for the pistols and he has 1000s of primers left. Never had an issue with any of it. Couldn't say which is the best but you can't tell me components go bad.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 08:04:15 PM »
I suspect either of the options you are presenting are better than the third option - keeping a mag's worth of rounds in the ashtray between seasons.  That was Grandpa's standard operating procedure, and he never complained about misfires.  :chuckle:

:chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline hookr88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 08:50:58 PM »
I would say it's all in how you store it. I built up my reloading supplies from estates. Some of the stuff I found was exposed to moisture and was worthless. If stored properly, powder and primers should last a long time, same with cartridges.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »
Good idea grandpa had, same thing I did until I went to Canada and forgot. :bash:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal